• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

I do not disagree really, its just that I think a keeper is to far away from most of the play and you could say the same about a striker as well. For me a captain needs to be in the middle of everything ( M/F or at least CB) but I suppose some would say its not enlightened to think that way anymore. ;)

I would assume that Poch would say that a player does not need to wear an armband to be a leader on the pitch

If Nabil's off-key performances are based on attitude problems, it shows the risks of basing large parts of the team on young precocious talent AND then bigging them up to say they are 'destined for Real/Barac' etc

Luckily, if it's an attitude isse, we have both the manager and squad to mitigate against it effecting us too much...i still think we need a Dier back-up as Nabil, Mason, Carrol and Alli will excell in the team with the security alongside them. Perhaps even Dembele, though he would most likely have the attributes atm to deputise.

Interesting side question: does our academy mainly focus on producing midfield tempo-setters instead of those who would be more like Dier, Schneiderlin, Wanyama etc?

If it was an attitude problem mate, I think we have seen he would be nowhere near anything. Poch doesn't tolerate them.

If it was an attitude problem mate, I think we have seen he would be nowhere near anything. Poch doesn't tolerate them.
Exactly it was just injury and the good form of others keeping him out, Dier has been exceptional this year and Dembele has proved me wrong this season also.

I was wondering about Wimmer but again it is really little to do with him and just goes to show how well verts and aldery are doing.

Saw this posted on another board :
Hartyid on COYS re: Bentaleb

He has a big entourage of agents and the protracted contract negotiations last season tinkled off a lot of people at the club. His demands increased consistently as the season progressed and by June last year he was asking huge money and talking in the papers about how "tired" he was of the process and how "flattered" he was by all the interest he claimed he was receiving from Champions League clubs. Unsurprisingly this was mainly bluster and there was nothing concrete for him to use as leverage so in the end he backed down and signed a still very good contract with a big pay increase.
Then after his injury he came back and was annoyed not to be in the first team. There was a lot of noise from his "people" and his attitude was suspect in training. He was given some game time and it was felt his concentration and commitment was lacking. He wasn't committing to Poch's vision and high standards.
In the Jan window there was an attempt to drum up interest away from the club by his representatives with people claiming to be his "agent" giving interviews to European media outlets about his future being uncertain.
Poch said in a press conference that Nabil will have his chance if he works hard in training and proves himself. But right now he has fallen back in the pecking order. Mason has fought back in, Carroll has fought his way in, there is plenty of opportunity but he has to give 100%.

I don't think there's much there that we didn't already know/suspect (although not sure I remember much noise in the Jan window), but it gives some colour as to possible reasons for his absence from the squad yesterday.

He has a big entourage of agents and the protracted contract negotiations last season tinkleed off a lot of people at the club. His demands increased consistently as the season progressed and by June last year he was asking huge money and talking in the papers about how "tired" he was of the process and how "flattered" he was by all the interest he claimed he was receiving from Champions League clubs. Unsurprisingly this was mainly bluster and there was nothing concrete for him to use as leverage so in the end he backed down and signed a still very good contract with a big pay increase.
Then after his injury he came back and was annoyed not to be in the first team. There was a lot of noise from his "people" and his attitude was suspect in training. He was given some game time and it was felt his concentration and commitment was lacking. He wasn't committing to Poch's vision and high standards.
In the Jan window there was an attempt to drum up interest away from the club by his representatives with people claiming to be his "agent" giving interviews to European media outlets about his future being uncertain.
Poch said in a press conference that Nabil will have his chance if he works hard in training and proves himself. But right now he has fallen back in the pecking order. Mason has fought back in, Carroll has fought his way in, there is plenty of opportunity but he has to give 100%.

I don't think there's much there that we didn't already know/suspect (although not sure I remember much noise in the Jan window), but it gives some colour as to possible reasons for his absence from the squad yesterday.

Assuming that all this is true, confirms what most expected as you say. I do really hope he gets an opportunity because I think he's a fantastically talented player, more so that Mason or Carroll, though he doesn't appear to have Mason's application (outwardly at least).

Will be interesting to see how high a priority Poch places on the FAC on Sunday. I'm expecting it to be Dier and Dembele in CM given that they didn't start last night - would be nice if NB got a chance though

Assuming that all this is true, confirms what most expected as you say. I do really hope he gets an opportunity because I think he's a fantastically talented player, more so that Mason or Carroll, though he doesn't appear to have Mason's application (outwardly at least).

Will be interesting to see how high a priority Poch places on the FAC on Sunday. I'm expecting it to be Dier and Dembele in CM given that they didn't start last night - would be nice if NB got a chance though

IF true (thought it certainly makes sense) then it seems what he needs is a fundamental change in attitude as we know he has the ability. He needs to be assured though that if that doesnt happen Poch will have him out.

Agree. At the very least, Bentaleb must be able to see how the Poch "meritocracy" works, so if he wants to make a go of it with us, then it' should be clear what he needs to do. (if indeed the info from hertyid is true). I hope he does apply himself and work his way back into the matchday squads. He was important for us last season and I would be sorry if we lost him. But, Poch knows best...

yep. Dembele is one who shows that Poch's opinion can be changed. When Poch came in, Dembele wasn't in the first choice 11 however he was given a chance and has been one of our best players this year

Hopefully Nabil will knuckle down. He comes across as a very driven and ambitious person, though too carefree when on the pitch

yep. Dembele is one who shows that Poch's opinion can be changed. When Poch came in, Dembele wasn't in the first choice 11 however he was given a chance and has been one of our best players this year

Hopefully Nabil will knuckle down. He comes across as a very driven and ambitious person, though too carefree when on the pitch

With Dembele wasnt it his understanding of what the manager wanted and willingless to change to suit that has made him such a success?

With Dembele wasnt it his understanding of what the manager wanted and willingless to change to suit that has made him such a success?

True, though part of that is what NB needs to do. Poch doesn't want his holding midfielder screwing around with flicks and tricks and he wants all his players to work hard!

True, though part of that is what NB needs to do. Poch doesn't want his holding midfielder screwing around with flicks and tricks and he wants all his players to work hard!

Absolutely, either Bentaleb does what the manager wants and he will therefore get rewarded for that, or he chooses not to and faces the consequences. What more can Poch do than give him the opportunity to show himself worth of selction?

Personally i would suggest he has had his chance and will be sold in the summer, we will see.

Absolutely, either Bentaleb does what the manager wants and he will therefore get rewarded for that, or he chooses not to and faces the consequences. What more can Poch do than give him the opportunity to show himself worth of selction?

Personally i would suggest he has had his chance and will be sold in the summer, we will see.
Let's hope it never comes to that because it only would mean Bentaleb has knuckled down and Poch has forged yet another player - one who is supremely talented at that - into his mould, one who is prepared to put in all the graft, commitment and discipline to challenge and maybe even oust the likes of Dier and Dembele.

But if Bentaleb comes up short or has already cooked his goose, what a lesson to the rest of the squad: 100% commitment or you are history.

Brilliant.

I'm not sure that Bentaleb has had his chance this year - last year he did well however this year he's barely featured due to injuries

I'm not sure that Bentaleb has had his chance this year - last year he did well however this year he's barely featured due to injuries

His chance is the opportunity to train with the squad, as Poch has said they are paid to train, if they do that properly they will get rewarded with a place in the team.

That has been evidenced by the selection of Carroll.

He has a big entourage of agents and the protracted contract negotiations last season tinkleed off a lot of people at the club. His demands increased consistently as the season progressed and by June last year he was asking huge money and talking in the papers about how "tired" he was of the process and how "flattered" he was by all the interest he claimed he was receiving from Champions League clubs. Unsurprisingly this was mainly bluster and there was nothing concrete for him to use as leverage so in the end he backed down and signed a still very good contract with a big pay increase.

This seems to be extrapolated from the Standard story that I posted in the transfer discussion thread.

Let's wait and see the line-ups in the FA Cup and 2nd leg vs Fiorentina before we take that bit of ITK any more seriously than normal.....

....having said that, if Tielemans were to be brought into the squad in the summer, would he bring some/most of the qualities that a fit and firing Bentaleb would?
:oops::eek:

Shame because in interviews last season it seemed like he really had the right mentality. There is still time...

Back