• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

I love him as a player, I hope the rumours of his difficult attitude during new contract negotiations and now this supposed national team hiccup aren't true.

Pochettino: “From the beginning, he had a problem. He missed 17 or 18 games with re-injury. The team moved on and another player had the opportunity to play.

“But we keep a very good relationship with Nabil and be sure that, if he works like he works in the last few weeks, he will have the possibility to play. It’s always about a football decision, and performance.”

Pochettino: “From the beginning, he had a problem. He missed 17 or 18 games with re-injury. The team moved on and another player had the opportunity to play.

“But we keep a very good relationship with Nabil and be sure that, if he works like he works in the last few weeks, he will have the possibility to play. It’s always about a football decision, and performance.”

And they played well and because of that he had no divine right to return, never thought it was anything else ( especially some of the conspiracy flimflam that has been mentioned).

Over the next few weeks I foresee Bentaleb having a few more chances. Like many I have a lot of faith in Wimmer, but seeing as the lads only just got his first PL minute under his belt I think as well as him coming in to the first team we'll also see Dier playing a bit at CB as well considering the cup games steadily coming up also. The only way this will work is if we have a replacement who comes in and shows the same discipline and maturity that young Eric has provided in the center and i hope Bentaleb is able to do just that.

He's getting minutes in the cup side and will probably feature on Wednesday night in the replay. He's not being frozen out, he's just up against Dier and Dembele (and Carroll to a certain extent) in terms of selection for the starting XI.

Very useful player to have in the squad.

He's definitely not been frozen out. But it has taken quite a bit longer than expected after his reported return from injury (and playing for Algeria so being fairly fit) and him actually getting games. Not just Dier and Dembele, but seemingly behind Carroll and not getting as many cup games as one could expect.

Could be something going on behind the scenes. Slower recovery from injury or fear of a returning injury. Some extra work on aspects of his game that Poch felt needed to improve quickly so focus was on training. Or perhaps a slight conflict and punishment.

Whatever it is he's now getting those cup appearances. And Poch has only good things to say about his attitude - been a solid trend for a long time that good things have been said about Bentaleb's mentality in training. This continuing now and I'm not at all afraid that he's "resting on his laurels" @nayenezgani

Sounds right on track :)

He's definitely not been frozen out. But it has taken quite a bit longer than expected after his reported return from injury (and playing for Algeria so being fairly fit) and him actually getting games. Not just Dier and Dembele, but seemingly behind Carroll and not getting as many cup games as one could expect.

Could be something going on behind the scenes. Slower recovery from injury or fear of a returning injury. Some extra work on aspects of his game that Poch felt needed to improve quickly so focus was on training. Or perhaps a slight conflict and punishment.

Whatever it is he's now getting those cup appearances. And Poch has only good things to say about his attitude - been a solid trend for a long time that good things have been said about Bentaleb's mentality in training. This continuing now and I'm not at all afraid that he's "resting on his laurels" @nayenezgani

Sounds right on track :)
i'd heard he had an 'unauthorised' night out when away with Algeria that Poch wasn't too happy about.

He's got talent but was over hyped and he might be having trouble coming to terms with not being an automatic starter. It looks to me a typical Poch show me you can do as I say and I'll give you a chance. This season we have virtually eliminated (hope I've don't jinked us) that suicidal habit of giving the ball away 5 yards from our box and Bentaleb was one of the worse culprits.

And thats what we saw today, Bentaleb the millionaire, I'll just stroll around playing suicide passes cos' this lot are rubbish. Did not inspire me as an option as holding midfielder.

Lack of focus today. Maybe even a little arrogant in his approach but he probably wasn't the only one out there.

Agreed. Poor mix between a lack of match fitness and complacency because we were so much better than the opposition. 90 minutes completed though and a step towards match fitness.

Not a good game for him today. There were a few times he played risky balls in his half as he used to. Not surprising we have not conceded certain kind of goals since Dier benched him.

...a CB partnership which has barely played this season, reserve goalie, a midfield 'partner' who has not been regular...he played a couple of slack passes but I think that once again,he is getting unfairly caned. Context perhaps?

...a CB partnership which has barely played this season, reserve goalie, a midfield 'partner' who has not been regular...he played a couple of slack passes but I think that once again,he is getting unfairly caned. Context perhaps?
Some of his decision making had nothing to do with who was in goal or who the CB partnership was or the bowel movements of his midfield partner (I'll go get my coat). Being sloppy is his fault alone and I would expect a player of his experience and caliber to be a little more tidy, at the very least.

Some of his decision making had nothing to do with who was in goal or who the CB partnership was or the bowel movements of his midfield partner (I'll go get my coat). Being sloppy is his fault alone and I would expect a player of his experience and caliber to be a little more tidy, at the very least.

I think you make some good points but the lad is coming back from injury and isnt going to hit the ground running, its going to take games for him to get back into his rhythm and form of last season. He's also 21 yrs old he's bound to have air of arrogance when playing a lower league side this is were POCH comes into it and has to hopefully change his attitude to be professional whoever we play.

I think this is one of the few negatives of having a young side they have to learn/gain experience and sometimes you dont get the performances, results you expect.

Bentaleb's still young, so IMO there's no way anyone should write him off at this stage as not being good enough for us.

But IMO there's also no way anyone can be arguing that giving the ball away cheaply in dangerous areas isn't a consistent problem of his - that's been around since he first started for us and hasn't shown any signs of going away so far. I don't think context is particularly relevant here, because it's been a problem for him in every context that he's played for us.

He has gone backward in the last twelve month to sure. He will gain so much from being coached by Pochettino's team it will be invaluable to many of the fringe players.

If he moves on it won't because we did not try to bring the lad on.

Back