• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Wow, how is this thread so empty?!

Poch has worked wonders and is the right man for the job and has earned massive respect.

But he must start improving things in games where we are playing poorly - he must change the shape and personnel - he must leave "players that score goals" on the pitch and construct a system around that basic idea.

He seems to sit back pondering a lot, chatting to Miki and Jesus, discussing... not really putting his message across or changing things or making an impact.

I know he knows things we don't... but it was so passive today. He said himself in his book that he can tell after 2 minutes that the players aren't up for it and we will struggle... almost as though he feels this cannot be changed, so he is resigned to a poor display.

Poch has worked wonders and is the right man for the job and has earned massive respect.

But he must start improving things in games where we are playing poorly - he must change the shape and personnel - he must leave "players that score goals" on the pitch and construct a system around that basic idea.

He seems to sit back pondering a lot, chatting to Miki and Jesus, discussing... not really putting his message across or changing things or making an impact.

I know he knows things we don't... but it was so passive today. He said himself in his book that he can tell after 2 minutes that the players aren't up for it and we will struggle... almost as though he feels this cannot be changed, so he is resigned to a poor display.
Very poor from him today

As with a couple of occasions lately got the starting line up wrong and just doubled down by leaving the subs 50 minutes too late.

He also said in the book that he didn't believe in shouting at players from the sideline. So what can you do? The subs today were very strange. If he had to take off one of the front 3, why Son? Alli was having a mare. Son is in the form of his life. Sissoko, well, is Sissoko. Why he started yet again defies belief. I would really like to hear Poch's opinion on this. A journalist should do his/her job and ask him why the hell he keeps starting when he offers absolutely fudge all to the team. OK, the best 10 minutes of the season for him in the last 10 mins of today's match - and he was certainly not to blame for today's draw, so not trying to make him a spacegoat - but he just never offers us anything (as opposed to pretty much any other attacking player in our team that gets game time). Counter attacking and running, supposedly, but when he got the chance to do that today, he lost the ball on both occasions because he didn't manage to carry the ball with him. It would be nice if someone cared to make a highlight reel of all of Sissoko's involvements for us this season, and we'd be able to analyse just what it is Poch think he sees in him. Maybe he has a good aura or something.

The turf was tinkle poor today, and clearly didn't suit us, but it was the same for both teams, so no excuse.

Absolutely agree with you.

He's the best thing that has happened to our club in a long time along with Harry Kane but his substitutions have always left a lot to be desired. In fact, it's been on of his weaknesses during his entire 3 and a half seasons at Spurs, I can't say I have seen much improvement in this area. I get that he's still a young manager but that's a little worrying. His team selection is one thing, everyone makes mistakes but I understand there is some logic behind it, I really don't understand why he just sits there for 70 mins and doesn't change anything when it's clear to everyone except him that we are having an off day. Totally understandable to not make changes when we're on top and you can sense it's only a matter of time before we score but that wasn't the case at all today. Make a sub at half time if you have to or even earlier, you're the manager, yes you might hurt some players' feelings but that comes with the job surely?

I'm pleased that he wasn't happy with that performance today. Rememeber he came out after the last North London derby and said we played well which I found hard to believe.

I do worry that perhaps Poch and the way he sets up our team have become somewhat predictable. How many games have we played this season at Wembley that have been almost exactly the same? Swansea, West Ham, Palace, WBA etc I don't see a plan B. Most of the lower table teams tend to sit back and congest the middle of the park and force us to play the ball through the eye of a needle or make us play the ball out wide to the full backs. That was fine when we had Walker and Rose at their peaks but Aurier is still getting to grips with the Premier League and isn't on the same level as Walker yet and Davies for all of his good play over the past year or so isn't on the same level as Rose and doesn't often pick out players with his crosses.

Poch needs to be more dynamic and bolder. The Liverpool game at Anfield could be the game that finishes our top 4 chances or it could give us a massive lift if we can go there and win. I fear we will go there and Poch will set the team out the same way he always does without much regard of the opposition. If we play the same way we always seem to play in big away games against the top 6 then we will get the same result as we nearly always get.

He also said in the book that he didn't believe in shouting at players from the sideline. So what can you do? The subs today were very strange. If he had to take off one of the front 3, why Son? Alli was having a mare. Son is in the form of his life. Sissoko, well, is Sissoko. Why he started yet again defies belief. I would really like to hear Poch's opinion on this. A journalist should do his/her job and ask him why the hell he keeps starting when he offers absolutely fudge all to the team. OK, the best 10 minutes of the season for him in the last 10 mins of today's match - and he was certainly not to blame for today's draw, so not trying to make him a spacegoat - but he just never offers us anything (as opposed to pretty much any other attacking player in our team that gets game time). Counter attacking and running, supposedly, but when he got the chance to do that today, he lost the ball on both occasions because he didn't manage to carry the ball with him. It would be nice if someone cared to make a highlight reel of all of Sissoko's involvements for us this season, and we'd be able to analyse just what it is Poch think he sees in him. Maybe he has a good aura or something.

The turf was tinkle poor today, and clearly didn't suit us, but it was the same for both teams, so no excuse.

There's two questions that I would like journalists to ask him; 1. why does he start so often? 2. why do you leave him on the pitch for so long? He has started 20 times this season! Yes we've had some unfortunate injuries but he still persists with him even when we've had other options available; Dembele, Winks and Lamela.

I actually think he did OK at times and was far from our worst player today but as you said, he offers next to no goal threat and today we needed a goal. IIRC if he has one league goal against Huddersfield but that was a scuff which ultimately went down as an OG? You could forgive his lack of composure in front of goal if he was a defensive midfielder but he's an attacking midfielder. One of the key attributes for an attacking midfielder is to chip in with a few goals. Not expecting him to get double figures but he's the Emile Heskey or Franco Di Santo of goalscoring midfielders.

There's two questions that I would like journalists to ask him; 1. why does he start so often? 2. why do you leave him on the pitch for so long? He has started 20 times this season! Yes we've had some unfortunate injuries but he still persists with him even when we've had other options available; Dembele, Winks and Lamela.

I actually think he did OK at times and was far from our worst player today but as you said, he offers next to no goal threat and today we needed a goal. IIRC if he has one league goal against Huddersfield but that was a scuff which ultimately went down as an OG? You could forgive his lack of composure in front of goal if he was a defensive midfielder but he's an attacking midfielder. One of the key attributes for an attacking midfielder is to chip in with a few goals. Not expecting him to get double figures but he's the Emile Heskey or Franco Di Santo of goalscoring midfielders.
I don’t think you can call him an attacking midfielder when he is rarely in the box?

I think Poch gets way too much of a free ride when it comes to changing the course of a game. Seen us so many times under him start off sluggish and continue that way and doesn’t change anything until it’s too late.....

I think Poch gets way too much of a free ride when it comes to changing the course of a game. Seen us so many times under him start off sluggish and continue that way and doesn’t change anything until it’s too late.....
His comments about auras and knowing if the team are up for it are weird.

If the team's not up for it, that's his fault - he's the manager. It's then his job to make them up for it or make the changes to turn the game.

Poch's words and actions both seem to suggest that he does his work on the training field and anything past that is out of his hands.

He needs to start turning games around - the top level of managers do it reasonably often.

Last edited:

If the team's not up for it, that's his fault - he's the manager. It's then his job to make them up for it or make the changes to turn the game.

Poch's words and actions both seem to suggest that he does his work on the training field and anything past that is out of his hands.

He needs to start turning games around - the top level of managers do it reasonably often.

I must admit I haven't read his book. Did he actually say that he doesn't like subs because he is worried about hurting their feelings, or words to that effect?

I don’t think you can call him an attacking midfielder when he is rarely in the box?

Well he has played that role for us on quite a lot of occasions and yet looks totally inept in front of goal. It sounds a bit silly because he is a professional footballer and plays for his country but it genuinely looks like he doesn't have a clue what to do when in front of goal and has such poor control and touch. You'd forgive it more if he was a goalkeeper but he's an outfield player.

I have just read an article which said in the last 99 subs Poch has made, their total contribution has been 1 goal and one assist between them. This remains one of Poch's Achilles heels. His in-game management remains poor.

He looks very passive in the last couple of months.

He’s Looked like AVB this season, with Kane rather than bale.

Plenty in the bank, but can’t not question some of his decisions this year.

Not helped with the clubs transfer policy and Wembley.

Only need to really worry if it carries on to next season.

Can’t say I was expecting much this season anyway.

I believe in that same section he refers to the Liverpool defeat last year and says that sometimes its better to do nothing. I think he's suggesting its a group dynamic and that making subs won't change the outcome. I just can't agree or understand this viewpoint.
At Anfield last year surely we needed to get Ben Davies some help against Mane - shift around centre-mid to cover the passing lanes into Mane, pull Son back or switch the forwards around to provide support. Instead nothing - I thought I'd see a better justification than that. And yesterday struck me as very similar.

Why not chuck Llorente on for the last 10 mins? I don't see the point in bringing on defensive mids if you're trying to win a game.

Indeed, I keep saying this about him - He's a top coach, I have no doubt about that. But as a manager overall, he still has some way to go.

Mourinho is brilliant at this, he could do a lot worse than look at him and how he reacts when he sees something he doesnt like....

Well he has played that role for us on quite a lot of occasions and yet looks totally inept in front of goal. It sounds a bit silly because he is a professional footballer and plays for his country but it genuinely looks like he doesn't have a clue what to do when in front of goal and has such poor control and touch. You'd forgive it more if he was a goalkeeper but he's an outfield player.
Thats on Poch though. Everyone knows he's not great in front of goal, whether that be shooting or providing an assist - he lacks the composure. However, when hes deeper hes fine - he covers a lot of ground, can win the ball and give it simple to those who have the attacking flair...

Back