• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I have just read an article which said in the last 99 subs Poch has made, their total contribution has been 1 goal and one assist between them. This remains one of Poch's Achilles heels. His in-game management remains poor.

That alone won't tell the whole story - though on the face of it it is a damning stat. A better indicator would be to see the change in final result after subs have been made- if the players already on the pitch are getting the winning goals/assists rather than the subs then it can be argued the change in shape/players on the pitch have helped contribute to that, even if not directky involved themselves - we have lacked effective attacking players outside of our starting XI this past season and a half (which im sire the 99 subs are restricted to) with Janssen and Llorrente both failing to impress, both when starting games and off the bench - Son has been starting a lot more over this period too and Lamela has been injured, so our subs have generally been about altering shape in midfield and defense rather than putting on an attacker to make things happen individually.

Whenever we win Poch is absolutely the best thing since sliced bread.

Whenever we drop points he's absolute pants.

Go figure.
Please find someone whos said hes pants? For the 1,000th time everyone acknowledges he's progressed us, but does this mean he is beyond criticism? He has won zero trophies in his managerial career and so hasnt earnt the right to be treated like he can do no wrong. He has flaws or aspects of his style that have been highlighted a lot of times and are right to be questioned, so dont make out like it is just some knee jerk to a disappointing performance....

Please find someone whos said hes pants? For the 1,000th time everyone acknowledges he's progressed us, but does this mean he is beyond criticism? He has won zero trophies in his managerial career and so hasnt earnt the right to be treated like he can do no wrong. He has flaws or aspects of his style that have been highlighted a lot of times and are right to be questioned, so dont make out like it is just some knee jerk to a disappointing performance....
Ever heard of exaggeration for effect? I just got fed up reading all the criticism above of Poch's tardiness in making substitutions.

When we fail to get the breaks all we read about is what he should have done to change things. But had that late strike by Kane gone in we'd have heard much less of that and much more of

Oh oh oh he's magic
You know
Mauricio Pochettino

Would love to see stats on subs on whose subs have made an impact when chasing games. I suspect the vast majority of Subs for good clubs are when winning and sowing up the win. Is there any manager known for great subs?

Ever heard of exaggeration for effect? I just got fed up reading all the criticism above of Poch's tardiness in making substitutions.

When we fail to get the breaks all we read about is what he should have done to change things. But had that late strike by Kane gone in we'd have heard much less of that and much more of

Oh oh oh he's magic
You know
Mauricio Pochettino
Like I said Pochs shortcomings have been mentioned for sometime, a Kane winner wouldnt of changed such opinions. You make your own luck and on many occassions we have been sluggish from the get go and nothing is done to rectify this until its too late. Subs are there to change a game, not just for injury issues. Granted its not always the solution to just throw on a different player but its an area he can definitely improve on. He is a very good coach, but that doesn't give him a free pass from being questioned - some of his selections are questionable as are his substitutions....

Like I said Pochs shortcomings have been mentioned for sometime, a Kane winner wouldnt of changed such opinions. You make your own luck and on many occassions we have been sluggish from the get go and nothing is done to rectify this until its too late. Subs are there to change a game, not just for injury issues. Granted its not always the solution to just throw on a different player but its an area he can definitely improve on. He is a very good coach, but that doesn't give him a free pass from being questioned - some of his selections are questionable as are his substitutions....

That stats that matter are who are the best team at coming from behind because that shows the best example of tactics and subs. We were 3rd I think in points won from behind, can't be that bad.

Who genuinely is a good manager when it comes to making Subs?

Its all abit of fluff bullshi1t to have something to write.

Mourinho for one. I accept he has better players to choose from but he's also unafraid to be ruthless and hook people when he needs to. I remember one time he made a double sub in the first half of a game during his first stint at Chelsea. Can you ever imagine Poch doing something that bold?

It's not 100% about his subs (although his decision to sub Son was baffling) its the fact that he leaves it so long before making any changes, even when it's clear to everyone except him that we need to make a change. It's different when you're on top and you can see that a goal is coming but that wasn't the case yesterday.

Mourinho for one. I accept he has better players to choose from but he's also unafraid to be ruthless and hook people when he needs to. I remember one time he made a double sub in the first half of a game during his first stint at Chelsea. Can you ever imagine Poch doing something that bold?

Ok I get where you are coming from but its cosmetic unless it has an impact. Does his changes have an impact?

That stats that matter are who are the best team at coming from behind because that shows the best example of tactics and subs. We were 3rd I think in points won from behind, can't be that bad.
That doesnt show the best example of subs at all - Poch always subs at around the same time. Yes we are good at coming from behind in general because the team have a good mentality and very good players not because of his subs. Of course that is part of the reason why he maintains the same XI for so long in a game, but sometimes it is simply blind faith. No matter who you are you arent going to be 'on it'as a team and be slick all the time, and there have been a lot of times where this is obvious yet nothing is done to change the course of a game and points are dropped as a result.....

As i said above we havent really got the attacking threats to bring off the bench to have a direct impact so we change things up in midfield or defense in order to change our approach play - id be interested to see how many games we have won the points in in the last 20-30 minutes compared to our rivals as that would be better indicator of in game managment or use of subs than purely looking at the direct effect the subs have had in terms of goals/assists as the latter is very much going to make sides with better sub options in attack look better- how many goals has Giroud scored for Arsenal off the bench as an example - does that make Wenger better at using subs or does it simply mean he has a better sub available to him?

Yesterday they did, but not for good reasons. He subbed our 2nd best goal threat when we needed a goal.
But why on earth would he do that if it so obvious, unless he had other reasons? It's not as though Poch is thick or something. Most who've commented agreed Son was out of sorts yesterday; he certainly wasn't looking anything like as sharp as he has recently.

What we do not know is whether Son was one of those suffering from the bug that's going around at the moment.

Maybe we should just trust that Poch has more inside information than we do and leave it at that?

But why on earth would he do that if it so obvious, unless he had other reasons? It's not as though Poch is thick or something. Most who've commented agreed Son was out of sorts yesterday; he certainly wasn't looking anything like as sharp as he has recently.

What we do not know is whether Son was one of those suffering from the bug that's going around at the moment.

Maybe we should just trust that Poch has more inside information than we do and leave it at that?
Of course he does, but we hear this rationale every time. Do you think he doesn't make mistakes? Every football manager in the world could hide behind that excuse. You cant use flu as an excuse, this isnt a one off game being questioned with his subs etc

One thing Poch did which was positive was second half he put Son in the middle and he was more involved than the first half and looked more threatening. Then he chose to take him off for Lamela which I couldnt believe but hey ho....

If we followed that mantra every time then we wouldn't be able to question/discuss anything ever.

Does that mean we're better at coming from behind or worse than the rest of the good teams at not conceding first?

Does that mean we're better at coming from behind or worse than the rest of the good teams at not conceding first?

Good point, who knows, might be a mix of both.

The sub rumour is abit of a fallacy, Poch first sub is around 65 mins, one beef by people is he waits too long.

Back