• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

This reminds me of Hoddle's quote this week in a podcast... he said if a team is sitting deep and won't come out of 2 banks of 4, you should let them have the ball a bit, let them come out of their shell and express themselves a little, then you can break on them and score whilst they are open.

This is not at all dissimilar to the tactic I mentioned a month ago... give them a freekick in their half, get them to all push up and push out into our half, then break on them.
Does anyone agree with me and Glenn Hoddle? Teams are so well organised now, we are just shooting into a brick wall.
We need to encourage them to come out a bit, encourage their fullbacks out a bit, THEN we can get at them.

Does anyone agree with me and Glenn Hoddle? Teams are so well organised now, we are just shooting into a brick wall.
We need to encourage them to come out a bit, encourage their fullbacks out a bit, THEN we can get at them.
Doesn't work for me. If we'd have just gifted West Ham the ball, they'd still have just hoofed it up top and chased it with no more than 2 or 3 players.

If a team is determined not to lose their shape, the only thing to do is pass it around them until their marking pulls them out of shape.

Doesn't work for me. If we'd have just gifted West Ham the ball, they'd still have just hoofed it up top and chased it with no more than 2 or 3 players.

If a team is determined not to lose their shape, the only thing to do is pass it around them until their marking pulls them out of shape.

I agree

The modern player is generally so well drilled even if the brick the can do a job if their fit

Swansea are gash but against us at Wembley they stuck to 5 men on the edge of the area at all times unless they were further back. Not one of those defenders chnaged tact all game and actually it’s quite easy as you play in a line and don’t expel energy running. West Ham had 2 players at all times marking our attackers and at one point Kane had 4 on him... they didn’t go past him they just sat on him

What you do need to do is attack quicker on the break when they do have a 5 minute spell of actual attcking play and were woefully slow at doing that in the league (but strangely good in Europe at it)

Sometimes the temptation to attack is just to great. West Ham were hoofing it partly because they are brick, partly because they had so many players behind the ball and partly because our press was so high and effective. Dropping off for a short while may have worked, It was probably worth a try at least.

Sometimes the temptation to attack is just to great. West Ham were hoofing it partly because they are brick, partly because they had so many players behind the ball and partly because our press was so high and effective. Dropping off for a short while may have worked, It was probably worth a try at least.
Slight problem - they scored from one of their rare attacks ...

We had one of those, and apart from THAT goal and kicking a ball into a skip(
), he wasn't all that.

Hahahaha, what a genuine chancer he was...though I will always have a soft spot for him if only because I was at the deathstar that night. Still one of the greatest derbies I've ever been to (and I've been to many!)...oh the joy at Lennon's equalizer, a proverbial 'winner' even though we drew. I will never forget literally dancing out of there cracking up, and some goons chuffing up how pathetic it was we were so happy given that we were at the bottom of the league. I loudly retorted that we would only go one way - up- whereas we had also just fudged their entire season as it was about to go down the bricker! And laughing very very loudly at them. They had nothing. One of the fun nights that impossibly explained why we will always be better than them. I am hoping for a similar feeling when I waltz into Wembley in Feb, albeit as a consequence of smashing them. I believe we will. Poch doesn't forget.

I've been saying for last few seasons that when teams defend deep we need to just play around the half way line, with little probes forward that should draw them out, then we can use the space behind them

I've been saying for last few seasons that when teams defend deep we need to just play around the half way line, with little probes forward that should draw them out, then we can use the space behind them

Or we could have a routine where all of our team stop, point at something, look shocked and say "oh my GHod, look at that". Whilst the opponents are distracted, we can pass through them and score.

How to get the crowd toxic in 0-60 seconds!
It's bad enough when we are passing around nearer the edge of the box, even though it's clear why we are doing it. Sit on the halfway line and do that and see what the reaction is.

Redknapp giving us pelters again about being small club mentality.

The lad does not give up. We sacked his old man to kick on and we did, forgets that

Redknapp has no opinion. I used to find him unbearable, but once the penny dropped I now find him hilarious.

Henry: I think Arsenal were great today and could challenge for the league.
Redknapp: Yeah definitely! Theyve got the quality, the goals, they have a great squad.
Souness: I disagree, they fail in the biggest games and theres just too much of a gap to City.
Redknapp: Absolutely Graham, they dont have a chance.
Henry: But if you look at Sanchez and Ozil, they have genuine match winners. And once Lacazette starts hitting form I think they can catch up.
Redknapp: They really can, I think they have the games to make up the points for sure and those players are world class!
Souness: But they have no defence, and just far to many points to make up, and will need City and Utd to collapse
Redknapp: Yes they havent got a chance, no way at all, impossible
Henry: Yes it is
Redknapp: Yeah I really think Arsenal can win the league....

I agree

The modern player is generally so well drilled even if the brick the can do a job if their fit

Swansea are gash but against us at Wembley they stuck to 5 men on the edge of the area at all times unless they were further back. Not one of those defenders chnaged tact all game and actually it’s quite easy as you play in a line and don’t expel energy running. West Ham had 2 players at all times marking our attackers and at one point Kane had 4 on him... they didn’t go past him they just sat on him

What you do need to do is attack quicker on the break when they do have a 5 minute spell of actual attcking play and were woefully slow at doing that in the league (but strangely good in Europe at it)
The mindset of the opposition differs. Madrid and especially Dortmund didn't come to defend and looking at them had done zero defensive drills to combat anything we had. And it actually looked as though we had practised the blitz breakaway.

The Swansea, Burnleys etc will,even If caught out, fall into formation as quick as they can, when Dortmund and Madrid looked as though they didn't know how to (or didn't want to) defend in the first place.

I agree we were slow taking advantage though in the West ham game.

Back