• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Park the bus in and of itself is not a sure fire winner though. How many times I've seen a manager pull their team back to defend a lead, concede, and then get lambasted for being naive and 'inviting the pressure on'.

Particularly one Massimiliano Allegri of Juve, who pulled his team back to defend a lead at 2-0 and ended up with them drawing 2-2.

Wasn't too long ago, as I recall.

OK, let's do that.

Allegri has been a head coach since 2003 - Poch since 2009
Allegri has managed 7 clubs, Poch 3
Allegri's two biggest clubs are Milan and Juve (a combined 384 games) - Poch's are Southampton & Spurs (a combined 267 games)
Allegri has managed 606 games in total - Poch has managed 428
Allegri manages a side who have been in two of the last three CL finals and won their domestic league the past 4 years (and over 3o times in their history)

Allegri SHOULD beat Poch.

how many total CL games has each manager been in charge of, Poch was outfoxed tonight, experience was the deciding factor.

Not using Subs/reacting to another managers changes is not a new fault with mopo.

hopefully he will learn, the non - use of subs is just odd - no matter what his thinking.

It’s on cup games where it seems to have an impact more (shock, horror). The opposition are getting outplayed so have to make a change but we don’t seem to make a change to match...

But in the league the subs do seem to work (pool away and palace away are two recent examples where subs changed the game)

I just feel that Poch hasn’t quite got that cup football is all about that one game

Funny old game isn't it. Allegri is getting praise and rightly so for his subs and change of tactics but what many seem to ignore is how he got it wrong in the first place with his selection which led to us completely dominating them in the first half and going a goal ahead.

Fine lines

I don't think it was a case of not reacting to their subs last night, he didn't have time, what he didn't do, before they scored, was react to our drop in control, a couple of our players were clearly flagging by the hour mark.

Excellent point. Our tempo had dropped big time before the equaliser. We looked like we didn’t know whether to keep them under the cosh or shut up shop.To be fair to him, if he’d changed things just coz they made subs and we then lost, he’d be absolutely savaged.

Anyway, it's been an amazing CL campaign. I think the rest of Europe know who this Spurs team is now. We belong at this level. So proud so thanks Poch and the players.

Now please please go and win the Fa cup and finish again in the top 4.

Anyway, it's been an amazing CL campaign. I think the rest of Europe know who this Spurs team is now. We belong at this level. So proud so thanks Poch and the players.

Now please please go and win the Fa cup and finish again in the top 4.

feels like such a waste to go out so early, if we'd just snuck through it could have opened up a bit, obviously City, Bayern, Barca and Madrid are through but I'd have fancied us over two legs against any of the others

feels like such a waste to go out so early, if we'd just snuck through it could have opened up a bit, obviously City, Bayern, Barca and Madrid are through but I'd have fancied us over two legs against any of the others

Agreed. That’s the sickner. We’ve gone out to a team who we are better than. If we got beaten by City or Barca, I could accept it a lot more. We’ve wasted an opportunity this season.

I do wonder if Poch’s insistence on being ‘brave’ every minute of every game (ie a high line and passing out from the back) increases the risk of games like last night.

The goals came largely because we were pushing high up the pitch, but without actually putting much pressure on the ball (whether because we were tired or for some other reason, I don’t know). Their second goal was SO easy for them, it was ridiculous.

Does Poch need to add a bit more pragmatism to his game, given that we don’t have the money to create the perfect team (ala Barca, Emirates Marketing Project etc)? Will he? Judging by his book, it would seem not - his criticism of the players is always about not sticking 100% to the philosophy in every minute of every game.

Just feels like a little pragmatism could be what we need to build on Poch’s brilliant foundations, and take us to the next level.

I do wonder if Poch’s insistence on being ‘brave’ every minute of every game (ie a high line and passing out from the back) increases the risk of games like last night.

The goals came largely because we were pushing high up the pitch, but without actually putting much pressure on the ball (whether because we were tired or for some other reason, I don’t know). Their second goal was SO easy for them, it was ridiculous.

Does Poch need to add a bit more pragmatism to his game, given that we don’t have the money to create the perfect team (ala Barca, Emirates Marketing Project etc)? Will he? Judging by his book, it would seem not - his criticism of the players is always about not sticking 400% to the philosophy in every minute of every game.

Just feels like a little pragmatism could be what we need to build on Poch’s brilliant foundations, and take us to the next level.

That pragmatism won Chelsea the league last season

Does Poch need to add a bit more pragmatism to his game, given that we don’t have the money to create the perfect team (ala Barca, Emirates Marketing Project etc)? Will he? Judging by his book, it would seem not - his criticism of the players is always about not sticking 400% to the philosophy in every minute of every game.

The highline has killed us a few times - I wish we wouldnt use it all the time.

I don't think it was a case of not reacting to their subs last night, he didn't have time, what he didn't do, before they scored, was react to our drop in control, a couple of our players were clearly flagging by the hour mark.
You cant say he didnt have time mate. Its not about reacting as soon as we let a goal in or soon as Juve made their subs, its about game management. We were 1-0 up and knowing that they need two goals to score. For the second half we should have already made sure we were much tighter, solid and more defensive minded and be ready to make more solid midfield subs around the hour mark knowing that Juve were going to have to make changes of some sort as they were chasing the game. But no, predictably Poch doesnt change anything until after 70 minutes. He really needs to have a good think about how and when he uses his subs, this is definitely a weak area for him....

You cant say he didnt have time mate. Its not about reacting as soon as we let a goal in or soon as Juve made their subs, its about game management. We were 1-0 up and knowing that they need two goals to score. For the second half we should have already made sure we were much tighter, solid and more defensive minded and be ready to make more solid midfield subs around the hour mark knowing that Juve were going to have to make changes of some sort as they were chasing the game. But no, predictably Poch doesnt change anything until after 70 minutes. He really needs to have a good think about how and when he uses his subs, this is definitely a weak area for him....

did you read my post?

We need to be able to switch into a compact defensive unit yes. In the PL we rarely need it. In the CL 2 goals up, with them attacking hard and us tiring, we have to ready to switch to defend deeper and got them on the break.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

We need to be able to switch into a compact defensive unit yes. In the PL we rarely need it. In the CL 2 goals up, with them attacking hard and us tiring, we have to ready to switch to defend deeper and got them on the break.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

We have done that in the past... switched from 2 to 3 centre backs to change style

But you need Toby to make that work or a similar player

Back