• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I hope Poch is here for many years to come but at what point do we stop saying “he’s young, he’ll learn from games like tonight and become a better manager”? He’s been our manager for nearly 4 years and has managed in total for just under a decade. I don’t blame him for the result but some of his in game tactical decisions and subs still leave a lot to be desired.

Why didn’t he bring on Moura? Also, we have 3 subs to use but he only used 2. The only reason I can think of for him not using the third sub was he was thinking about extra time.

It’s only his second season in the Champions League isn’t it? Give him a chance.

I’d give him a lifetime contract if I could. He is a class act in every interview, he’s done an incredible job for us and I love the fudger.

I do think he needs to use his bench better. That and the fact I think he seems to try too hard to be the players’ best friend are my only criticisms of him but I wouldn’t swap him for anyone else including Pep or a prime Alex Ferguson.

Poch is the right man for us. I absolutely believe that.

I agree that Poch can improve his in-game management, and I believe he will. He has taken us up a level as a club - we’re now disappointed to go out of the knockout stages of the Champions League, to the two times finalists of recent years, having finished top of a group which contained Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund.

I believe he’ll take us to the next level.

Maybe I’m being harsh. I just worry that we will lose players if we don’t win a trophy within the next couple of years

I have no idea, but Bedfordspurs is spot on. Granted Juve tonight showed why they reached 2 of last 3 finals of the CL. They have experience and the manager has the nous do to turn the game around. We had the game in the bag in the first half, but Poch showed his shortcomings again today. He's young, he will learn, but he lacks the mental toughness and the tactical nous to the see game out in the big occasions. One too many for me and that's why I am not convinced he will bring honours to this club.
OK, so Poch out but no suggestions who we bring in. Any of the 'big' managers will not come to us because we cannot pay the big bucks, so we have to slum it along with Poch who has had us finish 3rd and 2nd, top our CL group after crashing out last year and who has us playing exciting, passionate football. Granted he hasn't won us a trophy, but I think he's by far the best we've had for decades and neither you nor I can suggest a realistic replacement. I for one am delighted to watch this young team grow and learn and play some great football. And along the way take the disappointments.

By the way, you can start the "Poor Champions League Results' thread now.

Poch should have only worried about the next 10 minutes, then the next and so on...

Allegri made two subs that made a quick impact and did a job. The he shut up shop

Poch didn’t make brave subs when we needed them IMO

Cup football has been his weakness and someone said in the OMT we have lost more knock out football than we have won apparently under him (or something like that)

Spurs manager of old never got spurs team turning out in the league like we do but they knew cup games

The Chelsea league cup final when Ramos brought on Tanio at left back was a great gamble

This subs thing is a growing narrative when we lose. I don’t buy it. Poch is brave with his substitutions. We know he has brought on youngsters like Winks and Onamah in the big games when they are finely poised. We also know that he has changed formations during games. As I said earlier if we are going to be critical it is that this season we have not put away as many chances as last season and we are having these defensive lapses. These 2 critical areas need to be tightened up if we are going to win the trophies. I am sure Poch can see the issues but fixing them is not easy.

This subs thing is a growing narrative when we lose. I don’t buy it. Poch is brave with his substitutions. We know he has brought on youngsters like Winks and Onamah in the big games when they are finely poised. As I said earlier if we are going to be critical it is that this season we have not put away as many chances as last season and we having these defensive lapses. These 2 critical areas need to be tightened up if we are going to win the trophies. I am sure Poch can see the issues but fixing them is not easy.

Poch’s attitude to subs is best summed up in his book I think. When the Bin Dipppers we’re dingdonging us at Anfield last year he said he knew it but didn’t think there was any point in making changes because the game was lost and he’d just cause more damage than good (presumably by damaging the confidence of whoever he took off).

In my book, that’s just wrong. He has an obligation to try and change the game in those circumstances. It’s his biggest weakness in my book and I say that as someone who wouldn’t swap him for the world.

OK, so Poch out but no suggestions who we bring in. Any of the 'big' managers will not come to us because we cannot pay the big bucks, so we have to slum it along with Poch who has had us finish 3rd and 2nd, top our CL group after crashing out last year and who has us playing exciting, passionate football. Granted he hasn't won us a trophy, but I think he's by far the best we've had for decades and neither you nor I can suggest a realistic replacement. I for one am delighted to watch this young team grow and learn and play some great football. And along the way take the disappointments.

By the way, you can start the "Poor Champions League Results' thread now.
Nah, I think I'll pass, thanks. I am not entirely convinced of Poch. Too many of you here are wearing rose tinted glasses and gush over him. You can simply ignore his shortcomings, but I won't. He's a bottler.

Juve subs won them the game, but it was right after they came on.
What was poch supposed to do second guess their changes and make his own end hope he's right.
It give it 5 mind to see what the changes are and react.

He did the right thing in my view, it back fired, but hindsight and all that.

Nah, I think I'll pass, thanks. I am not entirely convinced of Poch. Too many of you here are wearing rose tinted glasses and gush over him. You can simply ignore his shortcomings, but I won't. He's a bottler.
I don't ignore his shortcomings at all. And pass all you like after throwing your rattle from the pram and saying "Poch out". We are improving year on year (on a limited budget), which is clearly not fast enough for you. Perhaps go and support a cash-soaked club and you'll get all the trophies you require.

We have done well in plenty of big moments in the past, the trouble is they are always forgotten about as soon as a big result goes against us - had we gone through tonight it would not stop the same 'mentality' complaints coming up were we to lose to Barca (for example) in the next round.

We showed great character/performance/ mentality to get out of a hard group and get to this stage of the competition but that doesn't count for anything at all now that we have lost to Juventus...

Last edited:

Your level of either delusion or entitlement (or possibly both) seems pretty noxious.
A bottler wouldn't have led the team, with year on year improvement in each season with us, to the point where we're probably the best we have been for fifty years. With no sign - I repeat, no sign - that the ceiling has been reached.

Hopefully in the next couple of years you'll still be here to eat humble pie when he proves you wrong.

I don't ignore his shortcomings at all. And pass all you like after throwing your rattle from the pram and saying "Poch out". We are improving year on year (on a limited budget), which is clearly not fast enough for you. Perhaps go and support a cash-soaked club and you'll get all the trophies you require.
Hold on, where did I say I want him out? You simply misconstrue my criticism of Poch with wanting him out, which I don't. No one here is shouting "Poch out".

Hold on, where did I say I want him out? You simply misconstrue my criticism of Poch with wanting him out, which I don't. No one here is shouting "poch out".

You didn't say those words but the logical end of your quote below (assuming you want Spurs to win trophies) is that we need a different man to win us trophies and inject mental toughness.
I am curious about what makes you feel able to say that Pochettino doesn't have sufficient mental toughness. Have you heard or seen something to give fresh revelation?

I feel he's not man to win us trophies. In his 4 years he's been here we constantly bottle it in the big occasions. We lack mental toughness and Poch doesn't have enough of it to inject into the team.

Hold on, where did I say I want him out? You simply misconstrue my criticism of Poch with wanting him out, which I don't. No one here is shouting "poch out".
While admire and praise Poch for building an excellent team, I feel he's not man to win us trophies. In his 4 years he's been here we constantly bottle it the big occasions. We lack mental toughness and Poch doesn't have enough of it to inject into the team.

Clearly I misconstrue. Your post above (and many of your others 'Poor League Results' thread) suggest you'd prefer a different head coach while not specifically writing 'Poch Out'. But perhaps I misconstrue those posts too, but you clearly don't rate him at all. And you seldom point out the great things he has done for our club.

Your level of either delusion or entitlement (or possibly both) seems pretty noxious.
A bottler wouldn't have led the team, with year on year improvement in each season with us, to the point where we're probably the best we have been for fifty years. With no sign - I repeat, no sign - that the ceiling has been reached.

Hopefully in the next couple of years you'll still be here to eat humble pie when he proves you wrong.
I would love Poch to prove me wrong and start winning cups for us, but he has proven he can't handle the big occasions. Contrast him with Massimiliano Allegri who knew what he had to do WIN the match tonight. Poch didn't.

I would love Poch to prove me wrong and start winning cups for us, but he has proven he can't handle the big occasions. Contrast him with Massimiliano Allegri who knew what he had to do WIN the match tonight. Poch didn't.

We had the second longest winning streak in Europe up until tonight. Delusional.

I wish he’d change things sooner, we didn’t need drastic changes today just fresh legs.

After the equaliser any sub would have given us a chance to calm down and focus on the assignment changes with the different line up.

While admire and praise Poch for building an excellent team, I feel he's not man to win us trophies. In his 4 years he's been here we constantly bottle it the big occasions. We lack mental toughness and Poch doesn't have enough of it to inject into the team.

Clearly I misconstrue. Your post above (and many of your others 'Poor League Results' thread) suggest you'd prefer a different head coach while not specifically writing 'Poch Out'. But perhaps I misconstrue those posts too, but you clearly don't rate him at all. And you seldom point out the great things he has done for our club.
There is a difference between not rating him and wanting him out and you conveniently left out the bit where I said I admire and praise him for building the an excellent team. I will start rating him when he is winning trophies with this club with the group of excellent players we have here.

A game of football can be won or lost for a million different reasons - mentality isn't the only factor

OK, let's do that.

Allegri has been a head coach since 2003 - Poch since 2009
Allegri has managed 7 clubs, Poch 3
Allegri's two biggest clubs are Milan and Juve (a combined 384 games) - Poch's are Southampton & Spurs (a combined 267 games)
Allegri has managed 606 games in total - Poch has managed 428
Allegri manages a side who have been in two of the last three CL finals and won their domestic league the past 4 years (and over 3o times in their history)

Allegri SHOULD beat Poch.

Back