• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

So standing up and screaming "try harder you clams!!" is going to magically remedy a slow start to a game? Nonsense.

There are so many factors at play that cause these kinds of situations.

Get them in at half time, analyse the issues and address them. Exactly what Poch did. It's what he does very well actually.

Nobody is saying Poch should scream the above, nayenezgani. Nobody wants Klopp style antics. But equally, Poch should not sit back stony faced for 90 minutes when we are playing slowly and poorly.

Players need reminding about what to do to improve, e.g. to press, to play one touch, to make certain runs, to watch certain runs, they need encouragement when they do the right things, so they do them again.

I.e. a middle ground. You guys are just taking massively extreme positions of 1% or 100%, he should do something inbetween, I feel he does too little and sits back far too much, when something desperately needs to change.

Nobody is saying Poch should scream the above, nayenezgani. Nobody wants Klopp style antics. But equally, Poch should not sit back stony faced for 90 minutes when we are playing slowly and poorly.

Players need reminding about what to do to improve, e.g. to press, to play one touch, to make certain runs, to watch certain runs, they need encouragement when they do the right things, so they do them again.

I.e. a middle ground. You guys are just taking massively extreme positions of 1% or 400%, he should do something inbetween, I feel he does too little and sits back far too much, when something desperately needs to change.

Do they need reminding?

I'm coming into this debate quite late, but I regularly see him pacing the touch line. He certainly doesn't sit back for 90 minutes. And as for stony faced...it could not be more irrelevant.

I think there's a lot to be said for trusting the system that the players are well drilled in to come good, and trusting the players to be able to get a foothold in the game if we are struggling. We know that he has no problems reading the players the riot act at half time, and we know he makes formation tweaks during halves, so what is the problem here? If you could actually hear what he was saying or thinking, you would be happier that he is doing all he could to help us win? It is not this obvious thing that by not doing it he holds us back - too regular a change from the system we have devised to help us be more than the sum of our parts leads to us not having a differentiator at all. There are negatives to changes just like there are positives.

I think Poch has done all he can to alter our abilities to be able to play on the counter and on the front foot, and players have commented on how he makes good tweaks during games to positive effect. I read something interesting earlier - I think from Dan Kilpatrick - that said Poch learned that by not venting when every other manager was piling the pressure on us when competing with Leceister, he allowed the players' frustration to build up and that possibly contributed to the loss of heads in the Chelsea game. That is the kind of thing he has also learned - to give a little back when appropriate. But 'doing more on the touchline' is such a hard debate to have, because we have no idea what he is saying, what instructions he is giving, and what plans he put in place before the game. To use 'we sometimes start bad' as a justification also isn't fair - every team will from time to time. It doesn't mean we won't recover. And 'we sometimes start well' doesn't actually lead to good debate in return, it's just meaningless.

Do they need reminding?

I'm coming into this debate quite late, but I regularly see him pacing the touch line. He certainly doesn't sit back for 90 minutes. And as for stony faced...it could not be more irrelevant.

I think there's a lot to be said for trusting the system that the players are well drilled in to come good, and trusting the players to be able to get a foothold in the game if we are struggling. We know that he has no problems reading the players the riot act at half time, and we know he makes formation tweaks during halves, so what is the problem here? If you could actually hear what he was saying or thinking, you would be happier that he is doing all he could to help us win? It is not this obvious thing that by not doing it he holds us back - too regular a change from the system we have devised to help us be more than the sum of our parts leads to us not having a differentiator at all. There are negatives to changes just like there are positives.

I think Poch has done all he can to alter our abilities to be able to play on the counter and on the front foot, and players have commented on how he makes good tweaks during games to positive effect. I read something interesting earlier - I think from Dan Kilpatrick - that said Poch learned that by not venting when every other manager was piling the pressure on us when competing with Leceister, he allowed the players' frustration to build up and that possibly contributed to the loss of heads in the Chelsea game. That is the kind of thing he has also learned - to give a little back when appropriate. But 'doing more on the touchline' is such a hard debate to have, because we have no idea what he is saying, what instructions he is giving, and what plans he put in place before the game. To use 'we sometimes start bad' as a justification also isn't fair - every team will from time to time. It doesn't mean we won't recover. And 'we sometimes start well' doesn't actually lead to good debate in return, it's just meaningless.
I think many players will need encouraging and reminding of certain aspects - it is a very demanding environment, so at any pause it would be good for Poch to be doing this.

You are correct that we don't know what he is saying, but I am talking about when he just sits back and watches, when something is badly wrong e.g. a very flat display, players taking 4 touches when 2 will do, a full back consistently getting beaten because they have no support or are pushing too far forwards.

There have been a lot of these halves recently, and Poch just sits back and watches a poor display, disjointed, players being beaten regularly with no change made. Maybe he is taking it all in and calculating possibilities and will change it at half time and he is perfect. If he is going to do that, he could sit upstairs like Ghoddle and get a proper view.

Even at the most basic level, I know he gets a poor view from sat down in the dugout and can see a lot more by standing up on the edge of the tech area.

So standing up and screaming "try harder you clams!!" is going to magically remedy a slow start to a game? Nonsense.

There are so many factors at play that cause these kinds of situations.

Get them in at half time, analyse the issues and address them. Exactly what Poch did. It's what he does very well actually.

And as they going out for the second half he shouts "intenta mas duro tus conos"

I for one am fed up of Poch's awful management that has seen the team do better than at anytime in my life supporting Spurs. He needs to show more passion on the touchline:

sherwrnj5d.gif

Amazing how quickly people forget how Poch has transformed Spurs from a "soft team"

How he got rid of deadwood, trouble makers and people happy to give 75%, how he built comradery and soul back into this team.

Delivered back to back CL qualification, 2nd fudging place (nobody on this board expected to see 2nd place in the next decade when Poch joined)

But hey ... he doesn't jump up and down on the sideline .. lets judge him on that ...

Btw, not a bad win against an ok manager tonight as well.

Poch sounded quite hoarse in his post-match interviews last night.

He must have screamed his fudging head off at the players, made all the difference it seems...

The players were massively motivated last night, which was lovely to see. It felt like a CL game, some really high level of play.

Let's hope Poch can motivate the players similarly for the next batch of games, we were certainly under-motivated for the first Newport game.

Back