• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I’m sorry, I totally disagree that a manager has to be jumping about like Conte every minute of a football match. If my manager is good that is what counts. If I want to see a circus, I’ll go to one. As for Clough, not having that at all. He absolutely did not rage up and down the touchline like Klopp, Guardiola or Conte. If you think that inspiring players can only come from shouting at them, then I have to assume you have never coached at any level. Besides, you make it seem like all he does is sit in silence - which is rubbish! He is often on his feet and often communicating...again, I could not disagree with you more on this point so it is best I stop.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

And exactly where did I say that I wanted a coach to be " jumping about like Conte every single minute of a football match". There is a massive difference between that extreme and doing absolutely nothing. There is an entire spectrum where Poch sits is at the lower end and Conte and Klopp at the other extreme. What I want to see from my manager, as I actually said, is one who is constantly engaged with his team by encouraging, cajoling and where necessary instructing, throughout the game. That is a different by a country mile from someone jumping about like a mad dervish. I am sorry you can't see that.

I surprised people pay much attention to what the manager is doing on the sidelines - im usually watching the game
Players don’t pay much attention to it either. I think most of the managers who are active on the sidelines do it to feed their own ego. I have always felt that Pochettino gets his message on to the pitch in the right subtle ways (via a word in a player or group of player’s ears during a break in play). IMO ranting on the sidelines like Klopp has no positive benefit at all.

On Poch 's mood it depends if he getting a annoyed a bit on how many times he's got to say 'that we didn't play well or we were too slow in the first half but improved in the second half'....its been a constant issue that we are slow starters and our tempo is to slow. You got to wonder if his message is hitting a slight wall now.

Please to GHod i hope the players know what is in front of them on Sunday...year after year we are are always all over the place up in Anfield in the first half hour.....Mr Dier i'm looking at you for a start..

Players don’t pay much attention to it either. I think most of the managers who are active on the sidelines do it to feed their own ego. I have always felt that Pochettino gets his message on to the pitch in the right subtle ways (via a word in a player or group of player’s ears during a break in play). IMO ranting on the sidelines like Klopp has no positive benefit at all.

He is also effective in having them change shape mid-game, so I dont see communication as an issue at all.

Was it Swansea where we changed formation about 4 times during the match? It was virtually seamless, with Poch and Carvahal playing chess trying to crack each others set up.

If thats not effecting the game I dont know what is.

Oh but of course he wasnt leaping around flinging scat like a deranged ape...

Let us try to look at this rationally. Anyone who thinks Ancelotti could have done what Poch has done with the resources he had available plus the fudging pigs ear of a broken structure we had in place is simply not thinking straight. Remember the structure and staff Pochettino inherited. Ancelotti would not have shown up for the interview to get that shambles in shape...

I despair of the lack of context in these discussions.

We weren't exactly rudderless ship in mid table obscurity when we he took over,we had qualified champs league once and would have done so again if Chelski hadn't done what they did...our football was at times the best for a number of years. If we are in the same boat this time next year as Poch said last week,Daniel could wake up one morning and say bye bye to me...who knows.

And exactly where did I say that I wanted a coach to be " jumping about like Conte every single minute of a football match". There is a massive difference between that extreme and doing absolutely nothing. There is an entire spectrum where Poch sits is at the lower end and Conte and Klopp at the other extreme. What I want to see from my manager, as I actually said, is one who is constantly engaged with his team by encouraging, cajoling and where necessary instructing, throughout the game. That is a different by a country mile from someone jumping about like a mad dervish. I am sorry you can't see that.

He is constantly engaged with his team. And trust me, I am really sorry that you can’t see that!

Hard to believe that there are some who think Poch does not/can not communicate with his team and get the message across.

Then riddle me this- how come we too often start games slowly. Poch has (apparently) said that he can see how we are going to play after the first five minutes of the game. Yet by his sedentary position and poker face he seemingly does not communicate that such a start is unacceptable and change things?

For example, exactly what did he do in the first half against Newport?

OK. You’ve got me. When the camera showed him during the first-half at Newport (I was not there and do not have ‘Poch cam’ on my telly) he was mostly sitting down. 45 minutes. Against three fudging seasons where he has transformed the club, reached a final, been a title runner-up and third place, got back to back CL qualification, developed several players into massive world stars, all with a transfer budget Stoke would consider measly...yet you would rather judge him on what a TV camera showed you over 45 minutes of one match. Go ahead. I won’t argue anymore. You are showing yourself on this one.

I would also say, there were times in matches over the years, where we've either started pretty bad, or had a bad period, but by the end of the half we were absolutely rocking. Sometimes it's about having faith in the plan that you've put together, because chopping and changing too much leads to some Sherwood / David Unsworth style mess. And sometimes it's about making subtle changes. But a lot of the time, it's about showing faith.

When we beat Emirates Marketing Project 4-1, in that first half, we were quite bad for a good portion of it. But all of a sudden, something turned. I don't know that Poch got up and started waving his arms around maniacally or making loads of changes, because there wasn't anything obvious to the fans eye. But we suddenly started playing really really well. Sometimes it is about having the players figure something out, and the real work takes place during the week to enable them to do that.

But this also ignores Poch's own stated philosophy in game management in matches. He says in his book he disagrees with Ancelotti for example, who doesn't think a coach can do much during a game, and that work takes place during a week. Poch said he believes coaches can have an impact. So when appropriate, he clearly is making changes whether we see them or not.

It feels like slow starts are a recurring problem we have had for some considerable time!

Our team "on form" or not, largely has to do with tempo. Because we generally play a possession game, it is considerably harder to defend against us if we have a good tempo to our game, are moving the ball quickly. If we play slowly, teams have time to organize and sit back to stifle the game.

When we come out quickly, we can get an early goal and it looks extremely easy (our record when we score first is ridiculously good).

So yes, when we start slow, it looks labored and poor, sometimes its our tempo, sometimes its the opposition has come out extremely quickly (and in those cases we often win later in game when they tire)

Back