• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I saw in the Substitutions thread that of something like 99 substitutions Poch has made, the total net result was one goal and one assist.

I am not sure that figure is entirely accurate, but it gives a flavour of the impact Poch's substitutions make.

I saw in the Substitutions thread that of something like 99 substitutions Poch has made, the total net result was one goal and one assist.

I am not sure that figure is entirely accurate, but it gives a flavour of the impact Poch's substitutions make.

Sure, if you think the only way to change the outcome of a game is to send on a goalscorer or someone who assists then i can see why you'd think that statistic was a relevant response or why you'd think Poch was poor at in-game managment

Sure, if you think the only way to change the outcome of a game is to send on a goalscorer or someone who assists then i can see why you'd think that statistic was a relevant response or why you'd think Poch was poor at in-game managment

Not the only way, but surely a significant one.

Edit: Especially if we were chasing a game.

Well I have played under both sorts of coaches. It is not really a comparison between those that say nothing and sit there glumly on the sidelines with those that are up encouraging, cajoling, instructing and helping their players.
This probably says more about you than those managers. Plenty of players thrive under studied, calmer managers - these are mainly the kind I'd prefer at our club.

Not the only way, but surely a significant one.

Id say it points more to the standard of end product player available off the bench than it does anything else- if we can see out games and come from behind in games at a good rate in comparison to our rivals/rest of the league then that's what is important - if we can alter our approach play with substitutions and tactical tweaks which lead to a goal/seeing out a win then what does it matter if the substitute is the one who scores?

It is a strange occurance though as im sure law of averages would dictate a bigger return from that amount of subs - though i do believe that 1 in 99 stat was disputed on here recently in another thread

I think you are forgetting SAF, Pep, Conté, Klopp and Mourinho. Indeed the only time the great Brian Clough didn't get up to inspire his players was in extra time in the FA cup Final against us - and we know how that ended up !

I’m sorry, I totally disagree that a manager has to be jumping about like Conte every minute of a football match. If my manager is good that is what counts. If I want to see a circus, I’ll go to one. As for Clough, not having that at all. He absolutely did not rage up and down the touchline like Klopp, Guardiola or Conte. If you think that inspiring players can only come from shouting at them, then I have to assume you have never coached at any level. Besides, you make it seem like all he does is sit in silence - which is rubbish! He is often on his feet and often communicating...again, I could not disagree with you more on this point so it is best I stop.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

It is never too late ... until the final whistle has blown. The manager has many options open to him during a game - he can change formation, tactics, subs - to name but three. He can also encourage, cajole or instruct certain players in what he wants.

You seem to give Poch a free pass once the whistle has blown. His job doesn't stop there. Indeed, in-game management is often key to success. Like you, Poch doesn't seem to grasp this yet.

OK NOW you are starting to deliver absolute twaddle. Your last paragraph is simply breathtaking. Do you GENUINELY believe that the ONLY form of ‘in-game management’ is whirling your arms like a windmill and hollering like an unmedicated madman? As for your last line, honestly, it is breathtaking...I hope you get the chance to tell him that personally! FML...

To a point i agree,but Poch record in cup competitions and performances is a tad worrying,our europa record is pants,losing to Ghent last year was poor,who were mid table in the Belguim premiership,(i'll excuse our champs league record due to Wembley) but losing to west ham after being 2 up this year,last year our struggle against Wycombe being 2 down,in the league our record against the top 4 is alarming poor especially away.

He be here next year.....if he wants to that is.

Let us try to look at this rationally. Anyone who thinks Ancelotti could have done what Poch has done with the resources he had available plus the fudging pigs ear of a broken structure we had in place is simply not thinking straight. Remember the structure and staff Pochettino inherited. Ancelotti would not have shown up for the interview to get that shambles in shape...

I despair of the lack of context in these discussions.

Let us try to look at this rationally. Anyone who thinks Ancelotti could have done what Poch has done with the resources he had available plus the fudging pigs ear of a broken structure we had in place is simply not thinking straight. Remember the structure and staff Pochettino inherited. Ancelotti would not have shown up for the interview to get that shambles in shape...

Ancelotti has the multilingual/ranting eyebrows!

All that being said - and I dont disagree - I really think it is to Pochs credit that were he to leave we are in a position where someone like Ancelotti could come in and succeed.

We have a genuine "big club" foundation and set up throughout.

That isnt all due to Poch, of course, but he has helped get us to that stage.

EDIT: Although, honestly, I still think we would be looking at "another Poch" rather than a big name manager

My take is that Poch looks less enthused of late.

This is the toughest of years. No home, huge pressure to succeed with comparative peanuts compared to all around us whilst we complete the stadium, key injuries to our spine all season, stars being tapped up every fudging week, yeah, possibly not quite as chirpy as usual mate...

This is the toughest of years. No home, huge pressure to succeed with comparative peanuts compared to all around us whilst we complete the stadium, key injuries to our spine all season, stars being tapped up every fudging week, yeah, possibly not quite as chirpy as usual mate...

And he then may need to try 'hide' this a little better as he is 'the manager'.
It could be one of his kids are poorly or he's decided he wants out!
We are guessing, but if we have noticed this it maybe other closer to him have.

Back