• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Now that we’ve got most of our squad back from treatment room, it does seem slightly odd that Pochettino didn’t give the subs more time to make their mark.

This article is a few weeks old but FWIW...

Average time of 1st / 2nd / 3rd substitute

Chelsea: 53 / 69 / 80
Emirates Marketing Project: 59 / 71 / 78
ManU: 63 / 71 / 80
ARSEnal: 67 / 73 / 79
Liverpool: 65 / 75 / 83
Tottenham: 69 / 81 / 89

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...o-jurgen-klopp-not-impacting-games-subs-like/
Not sayiying its the only explanantion but to an extent at least, that's a reflection of squad depth imo. We really don't have anything like the army of superstars / game-changers lined up on the bench waiting to come on like that lot do.

He's also been playing non-stop for an unhealthy amount of time. That has to have taken its toll on him.

When Toby returns, as long as Sanchez + Wanyama remain fit, Dier should be rested.

Dier probably won't get in the starting XI when those 3 are fit tbf so will be getting plenty of rest

Dier probably won't get in the starting XI when those 3 are fit tbf so will be getting plenty of rest

Do you not think he will be starting in midfield?

From what I’ve seen Poch thinks of Dier clearly much higher than some fans on here and plays him every game pretty much. He is our only option if we want to flex the system which is why he is so valuable (again despite the criticism). It why United wanted him in the summer

Do you not think he will be starting in midfield?

From what I’ve seen Poch thinks of Dier clearly much higher than some fans on here and plays him every game pretty much. He is our only option if we want to flex the system which is why he is so valuable (again despite the criticism). It why United wanted him in the summer

With Dembele being out of sorts and Winks still wet behind the ears im sure he will be getting plenty of game time in the middle tbf

Wanyama/Dier pairing is sound defensively but lacks real quality in attacking positions and in terms of creativiry/advancing our play

Maybe Sissoko was in there as we needed someone strong and powerful as West Ham have a lot of physical players (and Wanyama wasn't ready to start). He didn't play well, but I don't think it was a 'making a point to Levy' exercise.

And I just flat disagree that the build up was slow. We were moving it quickly but West Ham defended well, and we lacked quality. But the intention with the tempo was there.

You think we were moving it quickly? Each to their own. I found watching us incredibly boring last night, no pace, no guile.

Last edited:
we shoulda put on nkoudou and kyle walker peters as young speedsters on the wings last 5-10 minutes, scare the bejeezus out of that lot ! actually, if we just sat back and pinged balls over their backline, hmmm ...

I think if Poch is to blame for something, its the lack of runners beyond the ball.

Otherwise I dont fault him, we dominated the game, made hatfuls of chances, were resolute, and should have buried WHAM.

BUT - our continued failure against teams that set up like that is something that we really should be addressing. For all the plaudits about Guardiola the one thing that has struck me about City this season is the fact that players will make runs ahead of the ball straight into/through defenses. They will really commit men forward, knowing the ball will find them - and when it does they can make things happen.

We seem to run up to a defense, stop and play in front of it, and then try and push through when we run out of ideas.

And while I would welcome a dribbler or a runner into the side - I dont think a lack of one is why it isnt happening. We have players able to make these runs, just as we have players able to play the passes, they just dont.

I think if Poch is to blame for something, its the lack of runners beyond the ball.

Otherwise I dont fault him, we dominated the game, made hatfuls of chances, were resolute, and should have buried WHAM.

BUT - our continued failure against teams that set up like that is something that we really should be addressing. For all the plaudits about Guardiola the one thing that has struck me about City this season is the fact that players will make runs ahead of the ball straight into/through defenses. They will really commit men forward, knowing the ball will find them - and when it does they can make things happen.

We seem to run up to a defense, stop and play in front of it, and then try and push through when we run out of ideas.

And while I would welcome a dribbler or a runner into the side - I dont think a lack of one is why it isnt happening. We have players able to make these runs, just as we have players able to play the passes, they just dont.

They have de Bruyne in midfield who can pass alongside a battling holder

We should IMO play Erisken alongside wanyama in midfield and play another attacker like Lamella

With Dembele being out of sorts and Winks still wet behind the ears im sure he will be getting plenty of game time in the middle tbf

Wanyama/Dier pairing is sound defensively but lacks real quality in attacking positions and in terms of creativiry/advancing our play
I disagree. I think that is a very narrow view. Dier produces fantastic long passes which are an important part of our offensive play, especially when put together with Alli’s ghosting runs into the box. He is also good at spreading play from one side to the other. I would like to see these passes utilised with Llorente on the pitch. Wanyama breaks up play higher up the pitch enabling us to start attacks in the opposition half, passes well and spreads play too.

Now that we’ve got most of our squad back from treatment room, it does seem slightly odd that Pochettino didn’t give the subs more time to make their mark.

This article is a few weeks old but FWIW...

Average time of 1st / 2nd / 3rd substitute

Chelsea: 53 / 69 / 80
Emirates Marketing Project: 59 / 71 / 78
ManU: 63 / 71 / 80
ARSEnal: 67 / 73 / 79
Liverpool: 65 / 75 / 83
Tottenham: 69 / 81 / 89

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...o-jurgen-klopp-not-impacting-games-subs-like/
I mentioned earlier that part of the explanation might be that we do not have the army of game changers all lined up on the bench like our top six rivals do, but here's what Poch himself had to say in Brave New World (p51) about using subs:

"Taking a player off when things get complicated can crush them and risks alienating them for the rest of the season. My own experience as a footballer helps. I try not to tinkle my players off. You've got to learn to be patient."

We have plenty pf players who can find those runs, we just dont make the runs to start with.
If the defence is properly organised, just making those runs won't do a lot.

The only person in our squad who regularly breaks through a line (and therefore leaves us with more players in front than behind) is Dembele. When he gets back on form, just watch what the other players do when he gets the ball - they all gamble on him breaking the line and push up. That means that at least one player marking them has to drop off to close Dembele and the chain begins.

Sissoko actually breaks lines like Dembele does but for some reason then just turns 180 and passes it back through the line, losing us the advantage he creates. If there's a reason Poch persists with Sissoko it's this - he's the only fit player that breaks the line. I suspect he believes he can coach him to improve - I think it's too late for that.

Instead of who though?
Sissoko.

If the defence is properly organised, just making those runs won't do a lot.

The only person in our squad who regularly breaks through a line (and therefore leaves us with more players in front than behind) is Dembele. When he gets back on form, just watch what the other players do when he gets the ball - they all gamble on him breaking the line and push up. That means that at least one player marking them has to drop off to close Dembele and the chain begins.

Sissoko actually breaks lines like Dembele does but for some reason then just turns 180 and passes it back through the line, losing us the advantage he creates. If there's a reason Poch persists with Sissoko it's this - he's the only fit player that breaks the line. I suspect he believes he can coach him to improve - I think it's too late for that.

If you watch City, they dont wait for the pass - or even for the player to signal a ball - they just make runs. And as often as not these runs are successful, in that either the ball finds them and they can do something with it, or it pulls teams completely out of shape creating huge pockets of space all through the defensive line.

Thats the notable thing with watching City, just how much space they seem to enjoy in advanced areas. And the only thing thats notable about it is the movement off the ball.

Our players only really break similarly when we counter attack. When we simply attack against a set defence we almost invariably end up just playing infront of it and then trying to play eye-of-the-needle balls through the centre.

Without wanting to sound like Poch, we just need to be brave. Not worried about the consequences of a pass not coming off, but believe in the rewards of being inventive and incisive.

Some weeks we are a bit more like this, but others, like last night, we are all a bit too much sideways and playing across the front of them. It's as though we're looking for a penetrative pass BUT everyone keeps passing it on to the next man to provide it.

Plus I would add that only Eriksen and Kane are bang on reliable with their control and short ball game. Son and Alli can sometimes let the ball get away from them or slightly misplace an easy pass. Not often, but enough to have and affect when playing against a park the bus side.
I know it's harsh to compare with City but they are super confident in pinging it to each other in all kinds of tight spaces (even the goons to an extent).

Eriksen could drop back and play with Dier or Wanyama so lamela could start. Lamela has glue control and the inventive mind that is essential in these games (the Kane pass at Leicester).

Just too add. I think the lack of dynamism from our full backs compared to the Rose/walker heyday helps the opposition in some ways, the relentless threat from two powerful wide runners definitely gives a load more for a defence to think about.

Back