• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Love Poch, obviously, but the lateness of the subs today was a real worry. I was saying to my mates 5 minutes before half time that sissoko for Lamela should happen at half time.

Got it horribly wrong tonight.

Far too defensive to start with, should have known Moyes would have 11 behind the ball. Could have corrected it after 20 minutes but left it far, far too late.

Agree with that. I don't really understand why Dier was expected to play again either, he gets run into the ground. Poch has been Moysed before away at Sunderland iirc, so he knows what is coming.

Odd how he won't make subs until so late. I haven't read 'the book', but does it say anything about hat proclivity?

I don’t think tonight was an example of it but he does make later subs than statistics show as optimal based on research published in the numbers game.

Odd how he won't make subs until so late. I haven't read 'the book', but does it say anything about hat proclivity?
I think he did. I'll try to dig it out.

I would like him to be be simply and directly asked about why Sissoko was kept on for so long.

I can just about guess - with my limited football understanding - the reasoning behind keeping a base of two defensive midfielders to try and build a wall in the middle of the park to just ensure the ball kept returning into the final third and believing that our four attackers could do something.

Far too defensive to start with, should have known Moyes would have 11 behind the ball. Could have corrected it after 20 minutes but left it far, far too late.
But when he did change it we were no more incisive and it took a wonder goal by Son to claw us out. Goal attempts were not an issue before the changes. I am surprised he didn't play Winks because which ever formation we played and whatever personnel the passing was not sharp even with Lamela on. I would have gone with Winks alongside Dier. The mistake was starting Sissoko. He Should only be a sub.

Last edited:
I am not sure its the players not being able to its the tempo. We have smashed these kind of teams before, I remember a run of game last season when we were 3-4 up at HT but it was lighting tempo from the start.

If Zaha had to run at two banks of 4 he would get crowded out to same results I am sure of it. He does well because Palace are not given the same anti football tactics than us. He is a decent player but he aint Maradona

I am not sure its the players not being able to its the tempo. We have smashed these kind of teams before, I remember a run of game last season when we were 3-4 up at HT but it was lighting tempo from the start.

If Zaha had to run at two banks of 4 he would get crowded out to same results I am sure of it. He does well because Palace are not given the same anti football tactics than us. He is a decent player but he aint Maradona

We need better quality which = £ and lots of them!

Far too defensive to start with.
Yes indeed, again. Too proud to correct his mistake with early subs? Poch says in 'the book' that they can try multiple different formations/tactics without having to change players, but with Dier and Sissoko as the midfield this was all too predictable. Predictable. Predictable. Predictable.

But when he did change it we were no more incisive and it took a wonder goal by Son to claw us out.

This reminds me of Hoddle's quote this week in a podcast... he said if a team is sitting deep and won't come out of 2 banks of 4, you should let them have the ball a bit, let them come out of their shell and express themselves a little, then you can break on them and score whilst they are open.

This is not at all dissimilar to the tactic I mentioned a month ago... give them a freekick in their half, get them to all push up and push out into our half, then break on them.

I may be in the minority here but I don’t see what Poch has done wrong? I don’t see a defensive performance at all and I actually saw a really quick tempo, we just lacked the quality to play as quickly as we were trying to and rushed it towards the end - and WH defended for their lives as it’s their cup final.

It happens, but that’s a tremendously unlucky draw whichever way I look at it. The amount of blocks they got in on genuinely good opportunities...

This reminds me of Hoddle's quote this week in a podcast... he said if a team is sitting deep and won't come out of 2 banks of 4, you should let them have the ball a bit, let them come out of their shell and express themselves a little, then you can break on them and score whilst they are open.

This is not at all dissimilar to the tactic I mentioned a month ago... give them a freekick in their half, get them to all push up and push out into our half, then break on them.

We let them have the ball for about 14 seconds tonight, onion bag.

We scored when Lamela came on, again, as soon as he can play 90 mins every week we’re sorted.

Back