• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Dier is the problem looking a little slow for some reason. He is a big lad but just lacks the "fizz" needed IMHO.

Dier is the problem looking a little slow for some reason. He is a big lad but just lacks the "fizz" needed IMHO.
He has been a bit hot and cold this season, but because of his versatility and the injuries we’ve had in CM and CB he basically plays every single game. I’d give him a few days off to be honest, don’t pick him in the squad for Sunday and tell him to be back in training on Tuesday for next Saturday’s game!

I'm a big fan of lamela, but you can' really class that as an assist. Rolled a nothing ball 10 yards side ways for some one to crack a Worldie.
Its instances like that that show up the fault of having blind faith in stats.
He did it looking the other way though, which meant the defenders started closing later and gave Son more time on the ball.

Had it been Sissoko on the pitch, he'd have turned like an oil tanker, tripped over his own foot, pointed at Son, stopped the ball, taken a step back, and then passed it a yard short. Son would never have got the shot off.

Last edited:
He did it looking the other way though, which meant the defenders started closing later and gave Son more time on the ball.

Had it been Sissoko on the pitch, he'd have turned like an oil tanker, tripped over his own foot, pointed at Son, stopped the ball, taken a step back, and then passed it a yard short. Son would never have got the shot off.

I agree on the sissoko point, but I think the categorisation of lamela pass as an assist is generous.

That guy is an ******* .. and nobody should click on the link and give him the benefit of traffic/clicks.

Poch has had an easy ride? fudge him .. all these idiots who claim Levy has been patient with Poch and he's had more time than other Spurs managers somehow seem to miss the glaringly obvious fact that Poch earned the time he has had here by having better results than any other manger in damn near 30 odd years.

These same idiots also seem to miss when Chelsea, United, Scum, Pool all draw games they are "supposed to win", when it happens to us in a new stadium, with injuries to major players and people off form, somehow its because Poch doesn't have the tactical nous?

West Ham played negative brick football and for large parts of that game hung on by a fudging thread ... they got away with it, kudos to them, it happens ...

Re selection, I though most of it was very obvious, Aurier swap as per normal, Sissoko as fresh legs and the fact that he tends to have his best games with Aurier, Davies stayed in because Rose is injured, Wanyama was always a bench option coming back from injury, Lamela probably saved to start the FA Cup game, Winks seemingly not starting fit yet, what else options were there really?

Irrespective whether the guy is an ******* or not, it is a fact that we have repeatedly struggled against teams that park the bus at Wembley. The only two home games against "inferior" teams in which we have not laboured, were Stoke and Southampton - and in both of them we were lucky to get an early opening goal thanks to opposition blunders. Yes 'Chelsea, United, Scum, Pool all draw games they are "supposed to win" ' but these tend to be exceptional events. They consistently manage to overcome (often overwhelm) these types of teams either because they play fast one-touch football to open up the opposition (City / Scum) or else have players with exceptional ball control and dribbling skills who can disrupt the opposition banks of four (Chelsea and Pool). We seem unable to consistently do the former against packed defences; we can and do play fast incisive football but typically it is on the break against teams willing to take the game to us. And Poch has (?stubbornly) refused to sign a proper pacy dribbler, presumably because he does not believe in that type of player.

How often have we seen Poch make a tactical half-time substitution after 45 minutes in which we labour to break down a passive opposition? None that I can recollect. It seems he either gets the tactics spot on from the start (Dortmund, Madrid and Pool games spring to mind) or else it's status quo until the last 20 minutes; and even then it is typically like for like substitutions.

I have defended Sissoko in other posts but will be the first to agree he was useless on Thursday. And it was no surprise - this was a game which was absolutely unsuited to his playing style. I appreciate, that Poch may have felt the spammers would play a pressing game and maybe wanted his energy to compensate. After 30 minutes it was pretty obvious this was not the case and - for me - that was when he should have been bold enough to try something different. City also struggled against the Spammers; Guardiola withdrew a central defender and replaced him with a striker to overload the attack. It was certainly an option yesterday.

Nobody is saying that Poch has had an easy ride; or that he has not gotten better results than anyone since the days of Burkinshaw (and even then we were primarily a cup team). Above all, nobody in his right senses would want anyone else than Mauricio Pochettino as our coach.

However it is a fact that - if we genuinely want to get into next year's Champions League - drawing games at home against Burnley, Swansea, West Brom and the spammers is simply not acceptable.

...However it is a fact that - if we genuinely want to get into next year's Champions League - drawing games at home against Burnley, Swansea, West Brom and the spammers is simply not acceptable.

Well guess what? We have already drawn them! We are three points off the pace. If we do get into the top 4 this season, which I personally believe we will, does it suddenly become a little MORE acceptable when proper context is applied to those results (Wembley/injuries)?

I agree, Thursday from where I was, an extra forward thrust and gamble would've been the ticket, and I was surprised he didn't get Llorente on. But one thing I do believe is that the manager knows more about the shape of his squad than I do. Two games in 4 days. A cup game coming up which we need to win. It's easy from where we sit. I must say I thought we were going to win regardless Thursday, and if Sissoko had closed his man down then we would not be having this conversation.

Time for everyone to be courageous IMO.

Well guess what? We have already drawn them! We are three points off the pace. If we do get into the top 4 this season, which I personally believe we will, does it suddenly become a little MORE acceptable when proper context is applied to those results (Wembley/injuries)?

I agree, Thursday from where I was, an extra forward thrust and gamble would've been the ticket, and I was surprised he didn't get Llorente on. But one thing I do believe is that the manager knows more about the shape of his squad than I do. Two games in 4 days. A cup game coming up which we need to win. It's easy from where we sit. I must say I thought we were going to win regardless Thursday, and if Sissoko had closed his man down then we would not be having this conversation.

Yes - I have noticed that we have already drawn them; my fear is that we will draw others like them and this will undoubtedly put us far more than three points off the pace...

To blame the result on Sissoko for not closing down his man is frankly ridiculous; by the same token you would blame Kane for trying to control Aurier's pull back instead of hitting it first time into an unguarded net. The only thing that would have stopped us having this conversation would have been a more effective game plan - which is why the conversation is about subs and tactics. And it is not a knee jerk after one game; it is a reaction following a consistently similar outcome from practically all our home games against teams outside the top 6. And the reason we are having it is because every manager of these teams will - without exception - be doing the same when they come to Wembley.

I do agree with you on one point though - it is time for everyone to be courageous... starting with Poch. We simply cannot continue with the same old, same old in these types of games. We need a bolder approach whether in tactics, substitutions, whatever.

Yes - I have noticed that we have already drawn them; my fear is that we will draw others like them and this will undoubtedly put us far more than three points off the pace...

To blame the result on Sissoko for not closing down his man is frankly ridiculous; by the same token you would blame Kane for trying to control Aurier's pull back instead of hitting it first time into an unguarded net. The only thing that would have stopped us having this conversation would have been a more effective game plan - which is why the conversation is about subs and tactics. And it is not a knee jerk after one game; it is a reaction following a consistently similar outcome from practically all our home games against teams outside the top 6. And the reason we are having it is because every manager of these teams will - without exception - be doing the same when they come to Wembley.

I do agree with you on one point though - it is time for everyone to be courageous... starting with Poch. We simply cannot continue with the same old, same old in these types of games. We need a bolder approach whether in tactics, substitutions, whatever.

I look at Emirates Marketing Project as there the shining light now and try to see how they deal with the bus parking which was clearly a problem for them last season

Simply put they improved their defence (ours is very good), added pace wide (we have lost some of ours) and moved De Bruyne and or Silva into a deeper box to Box role... which gives them a creator in a key role

Fernandinho is a good buy for menisnt as good as Wanyama as he is less disciplined

They have pace up front which we lack but we have kane and also a similar amount of goalscorers

So what could we do to emulate their changes when we can’t spend £250m a season and write off a £100m a year

Unfortunately or fortunately Football is unpredictable. Just because we appear on paper to have the better players than our opposition doesn’t mean we are guaranteed to win. It would be a bit boring then wouldn’t it. Sometimes, the other team actually turns up and sometimes that team is West Ham.

And it doesn’t just happen to us you know, it happens to other football clubs as well and their fans! I know, crazy right.

After a few days reflecting and reading some posts on here, I won’t judge Poch as he is the manager and knows what he is doing. I amongst everyone in this group would not have a scooby which team to select and what instructions to give that team going onto that pitch.

Unfortunately or fortunately Football is unpredictable. Just because we appear on paper to have the better players than our opposition doesn’t mean we are guaranteed to win. It would be a bit boring then wouldn’t it. Sometimes, the other team actually turns up and sometimes that team is West Ham.

And it doesn’t just happen to us you know, it happens to other football clubs as well and their fans! I know, crazy right.

After a few days thinking and reading some posts on here, I won’t judge Poch as he is the manager and knows what he is doing. I amongst everyone in this group would not have a scooby which team to select and what instructions to give that team going onto that pitch.

I agree
To give everything some context we had the best Christmas of every team in the whole country (not just the prem)
Also where West Ham are concerned im sure I read under Moyes they had already played 3 London derbies before us, losing one cup game) and only conceding once (cup game) whilst scoring with their only shot on target in the game they won ... these things aren’t happening to just us

I think the discussion of Poch not making subs needs to take into account changes that are made to shape or moves that aren’t obvious to us but that do make an impact. They are subtle, but players have commented that this is a particular strength of Poch’s.

Plus, I think there are certain managers that will ‘go for it’ in any given game and certain managers that probably put a lot more stock in managing the condition of players and pre preparing minutes played etc, because this way it allows the teams peaking and runs of form to be managed and somewhat predictable - why we’ll always have a strong second half under Poch for example, where as maybe under a Harry or a Pardew, they are capable of great runs but also downward spirals and don’t really know how to arrest them. We have dips, but we always know we are coming out the other side under Poch.

I don't think it's to do with squad condition - Poch apparently makes the somewhat unusual point in his book about not making subs in case it damages the fragile mental state of professional footballers (my phrasing). I don't buy that as an excuse.

As a manager, it's Poch's role to make the team think and feel what he wants them to think and feel. He shouldn't have to pander to them in order for them to feel good, he should be making them feel that way despite him doing what he needs to do. If subs are needed (and the Spam game was a situation when they clearly were) then the first, last and only consideration Poch needs to make is who to bring on and when to maximise our chances of a win. What that does to a player's ego should be a separate issue entirely. If Poch is half the manager I think he is, he should be using his skills to alter the players' perception of substitution and controlling their thought process to enable him to make subs.

The reason Kane will always get a pass from me for missing chances like that one is that he delivers so much already it is unbelievable and is the highest scoring striker in European football for 2017. I have defended Sissoko plenty here this season, but he was lazy closing down the geezer on the ball because he chose to think like a fan i.e. that bloke will not smack a worldy. He gets paid to make sure that doesn't happen, especially when deployed deeper like he was. IMO.

There is little point debating your further complaints. I largely disagree and feel your take lacks any perspective whatsoever. That's fine. We'll both survive!

I don't think it's to do with squad condition - Poch apparently makes the somewhat unusual point in his book about not making subs in case it damages the fragile mental state of professional footballers (my phrasing). I don't buy that as an excuse.

As a manager, it's Poch's role to make the team think and feel what he wants them to think and feel. He shouldn't have to pander to them in order for them to feel good, he should be making them feel that way despite him doing what he needs to do. If subs are needed (and the Spam game was a situation when they clearly were) then the first, last and only consideration Poch needs to make is who to bring on and when to maximise our chances of a win. What that does to a player's ego should be a separate issue entirely. If Poch is half the manager I think he is, he should be using his skills to alter the players' perception of substitution and controlling their thought process to enable him to make subs.

What none of us know is what dictated his choice of side Thursday, let alone his choice of subs. I do know that if Mike Dean hadn't behaved like a giant fudging clam blinded by the fire from Wenger's mouth, we would've had at least two penalties and won the game with comfort.

As for making the team think and feel what he wants them to think or feel, I think only Helen Keller could deny he has achieved this. We are the top coefficient in the UEFA charts for 2017, we smashed that CL group, we have ridden out injuries to our spine for most of the season and are in a great place to finish in the top 4.

Poch is twice the manager you think he is, and I believe he wholeheartedly knows how to use his bench better than any of us. That isn't to say I don't think Llorente shouldn't have seen some time, or Winks. Just that I believe Poch knows all the parameters of his match day squad better than me, and I won't let my disappointment at not smashing the tossers get in the way of recognizing that.

Pochettino must loathe Pep.....he lorded over him in Barcelona at Espanyol and he's doing it again.
The improvement in City from last season is remarkable and not with the THE stella squad in the EPL.
The rest of the managers are being shown up - Wenger, Conte, Mourinho, Klopp and Poch are being embarrassed by Pep ability to improve good players into great players. Yes the money helps but it's far from the whole story.
Pochettino looks very subdued or quiet on the touchline in the last few month in particular, probably the realisation he is not progressing.
His lack of dynamism and enthusiasm is marked in recent weeks. I'm glad he is not a batbrick crazy like Klopp but when you are out animated by Roy Hodgson you have to be concerned.

His substitution are always labeled for me as 'better late than never'.

Pochettino must loathe Pep.....he lorded over him in Barcelona at Espanyol and he's doing it again.
The improvement in City from last season is remarkable and not with the THE stella squad in the EPL.
The rest of the managers are being shown up - Wenger, Conte, Mourinho, Klopp and Poch are being embarrassed by Pep ability to improve good players into great players. Yes the money helps but it's far from the whole story.
Pochettino looks very subdued or quiet on the touchline in the last few month in particular, probably the realisation he is not progressing.
His lack of dynamism and enthusiasm is marked in recent weeks. I'm glad he is not a batbrick crazy like Klopp but when you are out animated by Roy Hodgson you have to be concerned.

His substitution are always labeled for me as 'better late than never'.
Is this satire?

Just in case it’s not, City have spent About a billion over a period of 10 years to get the squad together that won the league under Pellegrino, Pep then came and he’s spent, what £400/500m in 2 years? Yet he’s showing up/embarrassing Poch whose spent nothing! What were you thinking of Pep last year when we finished above them, took 4 points off them and generally had a better season? Was Poch showing Pep up then?

I really couldn’t disagree with you more.

Edit: i’ve just re read your post, I think i’ve been had, you got a massive bite there Stephen h well done.

On the face of it that was a strange admission of weakness on Poch's part. He talks all the time about being brave, well surely if ever there was a time for bravery in making substitutions that was it. Like everyone else I was exasperated that he did not take Sissoko off earlier. I can only assume it's because he was trying to help the former Saudi Sportswashing Machine player rediscover his confidence and that this can only be achieved by giving him playing time.

Of course none of us knows exactly the reasons he did not make earlier subs but among other things my guess is he was convinced that the way we were totally dominating the game (a) they were never going to score, which imo was a fair assumption to make; (b) sooner or later our breakthrough must come and (c) perhaps most important of all he wanted to show the team he'd put out that he trusted them to see the job though.

On that last point he does talk a lot in his book about trusting his players so it is fundamental to his whole management ethic. As @thfcsteff says, it is working brilliantly on the whole so he is entitled to our respect.

So let's continue to trust in him because overall he is continuing to get it right.

Last edited:
Is this satire?

Just in case it’s not, City have spent About a billion over a period of 10 years to get the squad together that won the league under Pellegrino, Pep then came and he’s spent, what £400/500m in 2 years? Yet he’s showing up/embarrassing Poch whose spent nothing! What were you thinking of Pep last year when we finished above them, took 4 points off them and generally had a better season? Was Poch showing Pep up then?

I really couldn’t disagree with you more.

Edit: i’ve just re read your post, I think i’ve been had, you got a massive bite there Stephen h well done.

GD........I'm not that clever mate.

I'm in the middle of my half yearly FA cup weekend football downer!
I'm bored rigid with this current season it has been far too predictable. The Tottenham Hotspurs 'plucky financially poor underdogs' tag, is wearing thin it get rolled every bloody transfer window. We will again huff and puff till we sell all our good players then..... It's a little like groundhog day. Not Levy's fault we are where we are and we are improving but it will sadly be with 'baby steps'.
As you say It's were the likes of City come into their own as they can afford to take punt on a player with little fear of any financial hit.

The CL wins were very good indeed, the group was though surprisingly weaker that we all at first thought.
Kane is a delight to watch but.....he is I'm afraid unlikely to stay because we will not win enough to keep him no matter how much we pay him. Pochettino has been excellent, but I very much doubt he can compensate for our current financial situation.

As I said my gloom will pass as it has done over the past few years........a good go at the FA Cup for once would definitely lighten my mood.

GD........I'm not that clever mate.

I'm in the middle of my half yearly FA cup weekend football downer!
I'm bored rigid with this current season it has been far too predictable. The Tottenham Hotspurs 'plucky financially poor underdogs' tag, is wearing thin it get rolled every bloody transfer window. We will again huff and puff till we sell all our good players then..... It's a little like groundhog day. Not Levy's fault we are where we are and we are improving but it will sadly be with 'baby steps'.
As you say It's were the likes of City come into their own as they can afford to take punt on a player with little fear of any financial hit.

The CL wins were very good indeed, the group was though surprisingly weaker that we all at first thought.
Kane is a delight to watch but.....he is I'm afraid unlikely to stay because we will not win enough to keep him no matter how much we pay him. Pochettino has been excellent, but I very much doubt he can compensate for our current financial situation.

As I said my gloom will pass as it has done over the past few years........a good go at the FA Cup for once would definitely lighten my mood.
You Sir, have the mood swings of a 6 year old girl

Back