• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I know you can't always believe the press but it's being reported that Poch is looking at signing a new £3.5m per year deal. For me, THIS is the most important signing - securing his services for the next few years.
Isn't he already on £3.5m?

I am convinced that if we want to win a trophy under Pochettino, it has to be the league title ! Can't see us winning the League Cup, FA Cup or a European trophy under Pochettino. He simply doesn't take all those Cups seriously for us to win it ! Still not sure how he will approach the CL if and when we play in it.

I am convinced that if we want to win a trophy under Pochettino, it has to be the league title ! Can't see us winning the League Cup, FA Cup or a European trophy under Pochettino. He simply doesn't take all those Cups seriously for us to win it ! Still not sure how he will approach the CL if and when we play in it.

We need a better squad to do a two pronged attack on trophies. Once you remove Kane, Dembele, Toby and Erikson + two other players at the moment - we play below our average form.

We need a better squad to do a two pronged attack on trophies. Once you remove Kane, Dembele, Toby and Erikson + two other players at the moment - we play below our average form.
dortmund continues to challenge for the title and play their best players in the europa cup.

dortmund continues to challenge for the title and play their best players in the europa cup.
It's tough to compare the two teams and how they approach their season goals at this point. Dortmund had Klopp from 2008-2015, won the Budesliga and did consistently well in the Champions League for several seasons before their dip and change in head coach. From 2008 to 2015 we had Ramos, Redknapp, AVB and Sherwood and a solitary season of CL football.

We should have done the same. Arthur Rowe, Bill Nic & Keith Burkinshaw our most successful managers wouldn't have put anything but the best players available on the park. it seems coming top 4 is way more important than actually winning a trophy.our motto is to dare is to do are you really going to do that without putting out the best 11 every time.

Maybe we can try next year. Despite the #2 position in the league, our players and coach are both young and unproven. The Dortmund games made that crystal clear to me. Still a lot of work to do.

Last edited:
We should have done the same. Arthur Rowe, Bill Nic & Keith Burkinshaw our most successful managers wouldn't have put anything but the best players available on the park. it seems coming top 4 is way more important than actually winning a trophy.our motto is to dare is to do are you really going to do that without putting out the best 11 every time.

Funiky enough, the season that springs to my mind is 87 when we tried to fight on three fronts and walked away with nothing.

Which is the thing I hate most about the game today, no glory in finishing a runner up ( imo).

Mostly I agree, but it is hard to say what those managers would do now with the game being very different to those days. You have to bear in mind that the choice was not Europe vs finishing top 4 but Europe vs winning the title. I'm sure any manager from any era of football would want their team to be in the best possible shape to challenge for that trophy and would take decisions accordingly.

Which is the thing I hate most about the game today, no glory in finishing a runner up ( imo).
Maybe so but frankly the domestic cups are for also-rans nowadays. Who cares who wins them? The majority of PL clubs routinely field weakened teams because they're desperate to (delete any two of three):
  • retain PL status
  • qualify for CL
  • keep squad players occupied

I don't think anyone really thinks there's much glory in finishing as a runner up - it's just that in order for us to grow as a club it's a necessary step for us to take.

Winning trophies will always trump finishing 2nd-4th, but until we take that next step in the league the chances of winning anything other than the odd cup here and there are minute

I don't think anyone really thinks there's much glory in finishing as a runner up - it's just that in order for us to grow as a club it's a necessary step for us to take.

Winning trophies will always trump finishing 2nd-4th, but until we take that next step in the league the chances of winning anything other than the odd cup here and there are minute

Agreed!!!! To support your comment...providing we can hold top 3, it would give Poch something no other manager has been able to either achieve or enjoy; a full summer window, pre-Euros, where we can offer any target we want guaranteed group-stage CL football. Which gives us more tools, better squad, more chances to win more stuff, etc, etc...

Agreed!!!! To support your comment...providing we can hold top 3, it would give Poch something no other manager has been able to either achieve or enjoy; a full summer window, pre-Euros, where we can offer any target we want guaranteed group-stage CL football. Which gives us more tools, better squad, more chances to win more stuff, etc, etc...

Imagine that though at a time when we were flush due to the new ground income or alternatively at a time when we had cash to spend rather than invest

I think we will be interested still in development players and personally that suits me

Funiky enough, the season that springs to my mind is 87 when we tried to fight on three fronts and walked away with nothing.
Was that because we tried to go for all 3 or it was just not our year? I don't think we could say conclusively we failed because we played too many games. Tiredness was not something talked about in the same way as it is today probably because the games were not as intense? teams regularly won more than 1 trophy in a season in the 80s.

Back