• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Or maybe just maybe the younger players got better at a time when he joined as they were progressing through better coaching and natural development
Point is they were crying out for a leader in the middle of the park, someone who showed fearlessness against the big boys, someone with an established reputation they could look up.

Of course
Davids was over the hill when he arrived, of course he was slowing down, his passing accuracy was declining, da-dah da-dah da-dah, but in the grand scheme of things that mattered less than the total effect he had on the team's collective mindset.

So Instead of trying to rewrite history may I suggest you try rewinding instead.

Honestly thought he was ok - no more and no less

I think people have over rated his contribution in relation to the team getting better over the fact the players improved themselves

Carrick became a £20m midfielder Not because of David's but because he was a bloody good player

Yeah but we've usually had good players, but ones that usually downed tool come springtime..we've probably had better players than Carrick before he came to us anyway

Point is they were crying out for a leader in the middle of the park, someone who showed fearlessness against the big boys, someone with an established reputation they could look up.

Of course
Davids was over the hill when he arrived, of course he was slowing down, his passing accuracy was declining, da-dah da-dah da-dah, but in the grand scheme of things that mattered less than the total effect he had on the team's collective mindset.

So Instead of trying to rewrite history may I suggest you try rewinding instead.

Wtf are you on about??

The players I know of didn't think of him as a leader more as an arrogant tool

I'm not rewriting history in stating what I heard directly from a few players when I met them. We talked and asked about team mates

Wtf are you on about??

I'm not rewriting history in stating what I heard directly from a few players when I met them. We talked and asked about team mates

I'm intrigued more and more: the players who didn't like him at that time, did they go on to win more than one medal (with us or any other team) after he left us in 2006?

I'm intrigued more and more: the players who didn't like him at that time, did they go on to win more than one medal (with us or any other team) after he left us in 2006?

Well one did win the league cup with us and I'd have to check the squad to see

Edit- 3 won that trophy although own was a sub

The player I knew didn't and he wasn't great for us

I met plenty of players through him as he used to get us tickets for away games and Europe

When it came to certain players there were not concerned about what they said

Wtf are you on about??

Calm down, no need for aggression just because someone disagrees with you. First sign of weakness remember. And if you read my post I'm not disputing for one moment he was unpopular.

Okay so with the benefit of the players' perspective you were able to see it all very differently but watching from the stands I still remember how relieved we fans were to see him really putting himself about and showing no fear, especially when he first arrived. That for me amounted to leadership, something the team was somewhat lacking at the time.

I do recall things soured later on but the point is by then the team were starting to motor.

This is coming off the back of the Dortmund and Villa games. It's a rant, but one worth writing.

Watching the way we try to build from the back and the way that a team like Dortmund does, really shows how much extra work we need to do before next season. We seem to invite the opponent on to ourselves, but we eventually end up in situations where Lloris is kicking it long as our outfield players drop deeper and deeper following the same passing rotation. Lloris isn't great with his feet, it is probably his only weakness and he does panic with the ball on the deck often kicking long early when sometimes we have options in midfield.

Coming back to the passing rotation though, we aren't asking enough questions of the opposition first press. We don't force their players to make decisions, we position ourselves too closely to one another and make it easy for them to force us backwards. I wouldn't be so concerned if our front men were all consistently winning the long balls forward, but we aren't and we are seeing players isolated with nowhere to go.

This is coming off the back of the Dortmund and Villa games. It's a rant, but one worth writing.

Watching the way we try to build from the back and the way that a team like Dortmund does, really shows how much extra work we need to do before next season. We seem to invite the opponent on to ourselves, but we eventually end up in situations where Lloris is kicking it long as our outfield players drop deeper and deeper following the same passing rotation. Lloris isn't great with his feet, it is probably his only weakness and he does panic with the ball on the deck often kicking long early when sometimes we have options in midfield.

Coming back to the passing rotation though, we aren't asking enough questions of the opposition first press. We don't force their players to make decisions, we position ourselves too closely to one another and make it easy for them to force us backwards. I wouldn't be so concerned if our front men were all consistently winning the long balls forward, but we aren't and we are seeing players isolated with nowhere to go.

I think that is just fatigue setting in

I know you can't always believe the press but it's being reported that Poch is looking at signing a new £3.5m per year deal. For me, THIS is the most important signing - securing his services for the next few years.

I know you can't always believe the press but it's being reported that Poch is looking at signing a new £3.5m per year deal. For me, THIS is the most important signing - securing his services for the next few years.

What encourages me about this season, with what Poch has done and what with the new stadium that is being built is that the future is very bright for us.

This means we should be challenging for the title every season....

If so, then timing the announcement could be critical in this race, as it will give the lads a massive boost of morale, solidarity etc etc.
Do it!!!

Agreed.... He is the most important piece of the jigsaw. In Lloris, Alderweireld, Eriksen, Alli and Kane we have 5 genuinely top class players that could play for just about any team, but I get the feeling that our manager is the only one who is completely irreplaceable.

I agree with Hashegotthesackyet and if we could somehow get an announcement out soon then it would give a massive boost to the team for the remainder of the season.

Agreed.... He is the most important piece of the jigsaw. In Lloris, Alderweireld, Eriksen, Alli and Kane we have 5 genuinely top class players that could play for just about any team, but I get the feeling that our manager is the only one who is completely irreplaceable.

I agree with Hashegotthesackyet and if we could somehow get an announcement out soon then it would give a massive boost to the team for the remainder of the season.

I think it'll be a bit of a distraction at this stage tbh...

His response to the media after the Villa game suggests he has not the slightest intention of signing anything until the close season at the earliest. Said something about having three years left so no need to rush.

Not sure if that was the intended message, more like "its not something to be distracted with at this point, we have a lot of time if needed". Don't think Poch is trying to play hard ball with Levy, or even the other way around.

I think it'll be a bit of a distraction at this stage tbh...

Agree. Didn't Saudi Sportswashing Machine go into freefall just after Pardew's 7 year deal was announced or something?

Save it for late May/early June.

When Barca come calling in a few years, the contract length will only affect the compensation, not the outcome. This deal is just about reward.

Not sure if that was the intended message, more like "its not something to be distracted with at this point, we have a lot of time if needed". Don't think Poch is trying to play hard ball with Levy, or even the other way around.
Okay maybe not as negative as I phrased it but either way a contract extension doesn't look imminent.

Back