• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Speak for yourself as I know many who will not agree with you.
Just spotted this Ian Duncan Smith quote from around 2009 in a link posted by Robspur in the Famous Spurs Fans thread. Kind of puts it into perspective:

"We have a fantastic cup pedigree, but what every Spurs fan yearns for is to win the Premiership title. Failing that, what I think we would all like to see is a top four finish. If you told me now we wouldn't win any silverware this season, but we'd qualify for the Champions League, I'd take that right now."

A top four finish would certainly give Iain some welcome bragging rights in the House of Commons, with a number of MPs supporting certain Premiership rivals. "It's hard to hold your head up in the company of Arsenal and Chelsea fans when you don't play in the Champions League," laments Duncan Smith. "Especially given that they have both (won) the league in the last ten years."

http://www.soccerphile.com/soccerphile/premier-league/iain-duncan-smith.html

I'd be interested in hearing the views on the article from someone who complains that Eriksen is a pussy.

I've vented frustration at him giving the ball away cheaply, the article shows he's an effective presence irrespective of that but I don't think it's an either or situation

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35912192 prelude article to our end of season review

A team transformed
Last season Tottenham finished fifth in the Premier League - 23 points behind champions Chelsea - and conceded as many goals as relegated Burnley.

In less than 12 months, the north London side's improvement has been remarkable. Not only are they the top scorers in the league, but they also now have the best defence.

Only in terms of taking their chances have Spurs failed to improve, despite Harry Kane having another excellent season.

_88999270_tottenham_spurs_stats_minsplayed_2.png

But while Tottenham have spent £256m on players over the past five seasons - still significantly less than the two Manchester clubs, Chelsea and Liverpool - they have sold an incredible £293m worth of talent, meaning they have actually brought in more money than they have spent in that time.

Even Leicester in their two seasons back in the Premier League have a net spend of £48m compared to Tottenham's £7m.
_88999264_tottenham_spurs_stats_netspend.png

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has revved up his bid to secure the long-term future of Mauricio Pochettino.

Pochettino has nurtured a reputation as one of Europe’s most promising young managers since arriving in England in 2013 and his impressive work at Tottenham and Southampton has not gone unnoticed by Europe’s top clubs.

Pochettino still has three more years to run on the £2million-a-year deal he signed in 2014.

But Spurs are determined to keep Pochettino in north London and are willing to make the Argentine the best-paid manager in the club’s history to ensure he signs a new deal.

Sportsmail understands a productive meeting regarding Pochettino’s future was held during the recent international break.

Spurs want Pochettino to pen fresh terms at White Hart Lane and are prepared to wait until the end of the season before commencing formal discussions.

Nevertheless, despite the club being in the midst of a title race, there is a growing urgency to ensure Pochettino’s future is resolved sooner rather than later.

More talks will follow, with Spurs eager to ensure there's no uncertainty over their manager’s future.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...el-Levy-ready-make-club-s-best-paid-boss.html

When has that ever stopped those clams printing whatever they want as facts?

Exactly, another media article (one that claims Pep is on £15M) stated Poch is on £3.5M currently.

Levy is smart, I suspect once we are confirmed in CL next season, you will see several contract extensions.

Exactly, another media article (one that claims Pep is on £15M) stated Poch is on £3.5M currently.

Levy is smart, I suspect once we are confirmed in CL next season, you will see several contract extensions.
i'd imagine that levy always had steeply tiered performance payouts, so this year poch is already getting a bigger than usual salary

It would be nice if Poch got what this article claims he wants ...

Mauricio Pochettino will demand assurances from Daniel Levy, his chairman, that Tottenham Hotspur’s key players will not be sold as a condition of signing a new contract at the club. The Argentinian has been offered a new five-year deal that would make him the highest paid manager in Tottenham’s history on a salary of £5.5 million-a-year, but will not sign an extension before the club’s attitude to player sales becomes clearer, which will not be until the summer.

Pochettino spoke warmly about his happiness at Tottenham and the club’s potential to win trophies yesterday, but was careful to avoid committing himself beyond his contract, which will have three years left to run at the end of the season. It is understood that Pochettino is conscious of Tottenham’s reputation as a selling club and wants clarification from Levy that his success in mounting a genuine challenge for the Barclays Premier League title and taking them back into the Champions League for the first time in six years in just his second season at White Hart Lane will bring about a change of policy.

Tottenham are bracing themselves for offers for Harry Kane and Dele Alli, with Manchester United and Real Madrid among the clubs interested in the England internationals, and Pochettino wants to know that any approaches will be rejected. Michael Carrick, Robbie Keane, Dimitar Berbatov, Luka Modric and Gareth Bale have all been sold by Tottenham for huge profits over the past decade and there is concern among some supporters that the club may find bids well in excess of £50 million for Kane or Alli difficult to resist, particularly given the projected £750 million cost of building a new stadium. Tottenham welcome United to White Hart Lane tomorrow afternoon aiming for their first home victory over them for 15 years to keep the pressure on Leicester City, the leaders, who face Sunderland earlier in the day.

Tottenham’s ability to retain and add to their squad this summer is likely to have a huge influence on their attempts to tie down Pochettino, who has featured on United and Chelsea’s managerial shortlist this year and is seen as a potential Real Madrid manager. The 44-year-old jokingly invoked Hamlet when discussing his contractual dilemma yesterday, although judging by his first experience of the Bard’s play other Shakespearean soliloquies are unlikely to follow.

“For me – to be here, or not to be?” Pochettino said. “That is the question. There is a difference from being a manager and being a player. As a player if you sign a contract for four years, if you want to be there for four years, you are. But as a manager it always depends on the sack. You are always under pressure. I remember as a player my first date with my girlfriend — who today is my wife — she said to me, ‘Let’s go to see a movie at the cinema after the game’. I was very tired after the game and thought, ‘Shakespeare? For me?’ It was very boring. Then suddenly I felt a nudge in my ribs and sat up quickly thinking, ‘What’s happening?’ I had been snoring!”

Pochettino is far more attentive as a head coach than he was during his playing days, to the extent that he is planning to conduct negotiations with Levy over a new contract himself. The former Argentina centre back has not used an agent since the end of a playing career that began at Newell’s Old Boys and took in spells at Espanyol, Paris Saint-Germain and Bordeaux. Although happy at Tottenham Pochettino appears in no rush to sign a new deal and talks have been placed on hold until the end of the season.

“I think Tottenham today is in a very good place,” Pochettino said. “We have great facilities, our supporters are fantastic so why find another place? For the players I think they feel at home here. I think me too. But you can see that when nearly two years ago I signed a five-year contract. There are still three years and three months.

“The best agent for me is myself. You need to ask Daniel if I’m strong or not. I had an agent when I was a player, but when I stopped playing football I stopped my relationship with my agent. Always I had one agent, but I want to manage my life. I’m not disagreeing with the manager that has an agent, but I think I can deal with the offer.”

Full article: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/pochettino-wont-sign-new-deal-if-spurs-sell-stars-hhmxkhhpl

It would be nice if Poch got what this article claims he wants ...

Sounds like flimflam to me. Poch would have just a big a part to play in convincing players to stay and Levy is hardly in the habit of selling players against his manager's wishes.

Sounds like hogwash to me. Poch would have just a big a part to play in convincing players to stay and Levy is hardly in the habit of selling players against his manager's wishes.
Agree. There's nothing to indicate we would cash in on one of our top players just because big money is on offer. And Poch has spoken a few times about creating a legacy here. Something would have to go very wrong (imo) for him to want to move elsewhere after this great season. He is clearly building something special and he does not strike me as being purely money-motivated. So it makes sense he would want to pursue his 'project" here and face the challenge (hopefully) of CL and another title bid next year.

Back