• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Marcus Edwards

I hope that he is in the squad for the league cup game next Tuesday

He was very good today, the real winner IMHO was the the team gaining possession from pressing and causing a turnover.
We were excellent, Dortmund were poor.

Agreed. Very good and for me a more mature performance than most of what I've seen from him in the past. Did his job defensively very well, pressed with the team, looked strong and match fit.

Squad for the league cup definitely seems possible for him.

Forget hype or any crap Sherwood said when he was here.

After his goals for the youth teams and for what he does with England and the fact that he can dribble at pace. I would like to see him on the bench because he is the type of player we are lacking when we need to change games.

Maybe too early, but I thought he might have offered something today when trying to breakdown Swansea. Aurier (and Son) had success with their speed and quick feet. Edwards picking the ball up down the side of their box, twisting tired defenders might have created more openings.

Maybe too early, but I thought he might have offered something today when trying to breakdown Swansea. Aurier (and Son) had success with their speed and quick feet. Edwards picking the ball up down the side of their box, twisting tired defenders might have created more openings.

Got to agree. We are missing some X factor in the last third. I would at least like to see him come on as a sub. He would get a lot of free kicks I think as well.

will be interesting to see if he is selected for the league cup game. If not then it might be possible that Poch is just not convinced by Edwards, no matter what he does in youth football.

reminds me a lot of how Alex Pritchard was dealt with. Just a guess, but Poch doesnt care if a young player is simply naturally gifted. The player has to have the right attitude to go along with the talent.

will be interesting to see if he is selected for the league cup game. If not then it might be possible that Poch is just not convinced by Edwards, no matter what he does in youth football.

reminds me a lot of how Alex Pritchard was dealt with. Just a guess, but Poch doesnt care if a young player is simply naturally gifted. The player has to have the right attitude to go along with the talent.

I think that the two situations are completely different. Edwards was injured for a large part of last season and then had a contract dispute. This has reduced his first team opportunities.

Poch has spoken glowingly about Edwards whenever I have seen him talk about him. Decisions on when to involve him in the first team have to be taken with his long term development in mind. A lot of us thought that he might make the bench for the Dortmund game because of injuries but that would've meant that he couldn't play in the afternoon. 90 minutes for the U19s has to be better than watching a game from the bench. I have no doubt that his chances will come.

As excited as I was about Pritchard, it is hard to argue that Poch called it wrong when he has ended up at Norwich.

I think that the two situations are completely different. Edwards was injured for a large part of last season and then had a contract dispute. This has reduced his first team opportunities.

Poch has spoken glowingly about Edwards whenever I have seen him talk about him. Decisions on when to involve him in the first team have to be taken with his long term development in mind. A lot of us thought that he might make the bench for the Dortmund game because of injuries but that would've meant that he couldn't play in the afternoon. 90 minutes for the U19s has to be better than watching a game from the bench. I have no doubt that his chances will come.

As excited as I was about Pritchard, it is hard to argue that Poch called it wrong when he has ended up at Norwich.

Poch got it right with Pritchard thats for sure. Many were excited by him, just like now they are with Edwards.

The contract dispute is what may have disgruntled Poch. He has high morals, standards and expectations. Imagine how he feels seeing a young kid/his family and representatives not coming to a contract agreement more smoothly especially when the player is so young and has so much to learn.

The contract dispute is what may have disgruntled Poch. He has high morals, standards and expectations. Imagine how he feels seeing a young kid/his family and representatives not coming to a contract agreement more smoothly especially when the player is so young and has so much to learn.

There's a lot of speculation there with little to back it up. I think that it is most likely that the club have decided that he is better off playing football than sitting on the bench at this stage of his development. I am sure that he will get chances this season, let's hope he takes them.

Would love to see him start against Barnsley and prove himself to be a worthy bench option for league games.

Agree with the first part, though with a fully fit squad he'd have to make it past Llorente, Son, Lamela, Winks, Sissoko etc to get on the bench, which is unlikely. He must have been close to the bench in the last couple games though. Either way, it would be good to test him against Barnsley and ideally from the start rather than a last 10 min cameo

How's he doing there?

Was a bit-part player under Alex Neil, even though when he did play he did well. Neil eventually got sacked and his replacement(Alan Irvine) put Pritchard straight into the team and he stayed there. Unfortunately he injured his ankle again in pre-season and still hasn't returned. I still think he will make it in the Premier League one day, his ankle problems are the biggest issue though, without that injury he suffered at the U21 Euros I think his career would have gone quite differently to how it's turned out so far.

Here's some highlights of him from last season if you're interested - https://streamable.com/i2wgo

Edwards is a couple of levels above Pritchard(when he was 18) so I don't really think the comparison holds up, though I can understand why it's made given they're similar in stature.

I always thought Pritchard was the most suitable backup we had for Eriksen.
Absolutely. He was an exciting talent so it was a blow when Poch decided to move him on.

Having said that I recall one game for Brentford when he gave away possession too easily then flunked tracking back. Worse still, he then remonstrated with others around him to do the chasing and harrying, so maybe that was a pointer to the underlying problem.

Precisely, we were so wooden yesterday. Lumpen, half speed. A few speculative crosses, then we bring on Llorente and don't cross it any more. Shambolic performance... after the excitement of Everton and Dortmund.

Yesterday I definitely would have brought off 2 of our 6 defenders and brought on Llorente and Edwards. Better to gamble and win 3-0 or lose 1-0...I fancy the odds... 1 point does nothing for us at home.

I'd like to see him have a chance against Barnsley tomorrow but sadly it seems that he's not in contention.

Reading the press release today, Poch said that Edwards would not play a part. He was certain of it too, no maybes etc like with Oakley Boothe. When asked why, he cited that he was still not physically ready to play for the first team, nor confident enough.

Although he mentioned that there may be a chance for him on the bench, Poch seemed to say that his place for the time being is in the U23's and youth team. Now is this a way of keeping Edwards grounded and showing him that he has to wait for a chance after the summer or is there honestly still concerns over his suitability for the first team?

Back