• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Marcus Edwards

He should have GKN in his sights. That seems to be the squad place that would be most vulnerable to him.

Definitely, I would hope he gets any cup game time ahead of GKN. I'm guessing GKN won't have much future here to be honest.

I hope that as there becomes more pressure on Poch to deliver a trophy, he doesn't find it harder to play youth, as that is what's got him where he is now.

I think the expectations of the club are now higher than what Poch has had at any time in his career so far. He was never expected to get Southampton higher than upper mid-table. When he arrived here, we were a Europa League club pushing for a Top 4 place, so he could afford to blood Mason and Bentaleb as a starting pair and see what they could do (plus he needed to chuck out a few bad apples in the process). Now we are a Top 4 side pushing for the title and other trophies (hopefully). If a youngster hits the ground running (like Dele) then he'll play, if he needs a season/half a season to see if he's good enough (Mason, Bentaleb) then he won't, because we can't afford that if we want to be a club that competes. IMO, youngsters will have to make an impact if given a chance or go out on loan and really impress.

My heart goes out to poor young Edwards, I can't remember a young player with so much expected of him by people who have never seen him play 90 minutes against men. I truly hope he has a wonderful career with us, but fear the strange fans we have wont give him the chance to develop and accept he'll make a lot of mistakes and as long as he doesn't keep repeating them he'll do well.

develop further, not least physically? He looked like the shire pony equivalent of a human last year!

I assume you mean Shetland Pony? That is Edwards' asset, he is small so he can twist and turn and jink past players like Zola, Juninho, Messi, rather than try to be yet another big bruiser.
Give this boy some game time and see what happens. If he jinks into the box and gets fouled, we win a penalty, we win the game, simples McPimples

I assume you mean Shetland Pony? That is Edwards' asset, he is small so he can twist and turn and jink past players like Zola, Juninho, Messi, rather than try to be yet another big bruiser.
Give this boy some game time and see what happens. If he jinks into the box and gets fouled, we win a penalty, we win the game, simples McPimples

Experience tells me when we have a small player, they are never fouled they just get out muscled.

Actually that makes great business sense for some of the clubs. They see the prices we pay over the top here just because the player is English ( probably as we know they have experience in this league more than the nationality though ) so could start buying all our promising players and giving them a real chance.

Its terrible that teams like City and Chelski hoover up the young talent but actually and realistically have no chance of playing. Why the young players go there (£) ill never know?

Jordan Sancho has shown some real guys by going to Germany. A loan for Edwards to a euro club might have been amazing for him. If this happens more regularly then maybe it will actually help our national team.

From what I've read though, Edwards wanted to stay here this season and make the first team squad. As business plans go though, I'm sure there are plenty of young players in the academies who would be better moving to Europe.

Actually that makes great business sense for some of the clubs. They see the prices we pay over the top here just because the player is English ( probably as we know they have experience in this league more than the nationality though ) so could start buying all our promising players and giving them a real chance.

Its terrible that teams like City and Chelski hoover up the young talent but actually and realistically have no chance of playing. Why the young players go there (£) ill never know?

Jordan Sancho has shown some real guys by going to Germany. A loan for Edwards to a euro club might have been amazing for him. If this happens more regularly then maybe it will actually help our national team.
It's a good idea, but waste of time trying to do that with Spurs because we don't want to sell our talented youngsters and our youngsters don't want to go because they know they'll get opportunities if good enough...

Back