• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Marcus Edwards

I'd like to see him have a chance against Barnsley tomorrow but sadly it seems that he's not in contention.

Reading the press release today, Poch said that Edwards would not play a part. He was certain of it too, no maybes etc like with Oakley Boothe. When asked why, he cited that he was still not physically ready to play for the first team, nor confident enough.

Although he mentioned that there may be a chance for him on the bench, Poch seemed to say that his place for the time being is in the U23's and youth team. Now is this a way of keeping Edwards grounded and showing him that he has to wait for a chance after the summer or is there honestly still concerns over his suitability for the first team?

i seriously doubt that. The boy looks full of it at the moment

thats a shame, although i cant say im surprised Poch is continuing to keep Edwards away from the first team squad. Strange.

Disappointed we won't see Edwards tomorrow night but we have to place our trust in Poch. Let's not forget he likened him to a young Messi only a year ago so he has faith in the lad. He sees the player in training and will surely know the best way to manage him.

thats a shame, although i cant say im surprised Poch is continuing to keep Edwards away from the first team squad. Strange.

I am surprised by your comment about Poch. He has got the best record for bringing young players through of any current PL manager. Edwards was injured for a large chunk of last season but had been involved with the first team before this. The timing for bringing a young player through is important and there would be little benefit from him missing out on U23/U19 games to sit on the bench.

will be interesting to see if he is selected for the league cup game. If not then it might be possible that Poch is just not convinced by Edwards, no matter what he does in youth football.

reminds me a lot of how Alex Pritchard was dealt with. Just a guess, but Poch doesnt care if a young player is simply naturally gifted. The player has to have the right attitude to go along with the talent.

Pritchard got a long termish ankle injury just as his window of opportunity opened.

Unfortunate timing for the boy. While injured things move on and so then he.

I think this could be the making if Edwards, Poch is laying down a challenge to him. Get as fit as the other guys and prove yourself, if he does get a chance then Edwards could go on to be a real star.

I am surprised by your comment about Poch. He has got the best record for bringing young players through of any current PL manager. Edwards was injured for a large chunk of last season but had been involved with the first team before this. The timing for bringing a young player through is important and there would be little benefit from him missing out on U23/U19 games to sit on the bench.

how do you measure that? any stats/numbers?

how do you measure that? any stats/numbers?

There are loads of ways but the number of England debutants over the last few years who came through at club level under him is one.

Out of interest, who would you say had a better record currently?

There are loads of ways but the number of England debutants over the last few years who came through at club level under him is one.

Out of interest, who would you say had a better record currently?

i never really thought about it tbh. In my mind "bringing young players through" means giving academy players a chance. So yes the likes of Mason, Bentaleb, Townsend, KWP, Winks, Kane have been given first team opportunities by Poch.

Dier, Dele, Rose, Walker obviously dont count as they are non academy players.

i never really thought about it tbh. In my mind "bringing young players through" means giving academy players a chance. So yes the likes of Mason, Bentaleb, Townsend, KWP, Winks, Kane have been given first team opportunities by Poch.

Dier, Dele, Rose, Walker obviously dont count as they are non academy players.

Poch doesn't coach the academy, so that is a different point. My point was that Poch is currently the best manager for bringing through and improving young players. Finishing third and second with the youngest team in the league makes this hard to argue against.

Poch doesn't coach the academy, so that is a different point. My point was that Poch is currently the best manager for bringing through and improving young players. Finishing third and second with the youngest team in the league makes this hard to argue against.

i know Poch doesnt coach the academy, but surely bringing through young players means giving academy players a chance, bringing them through from the academy to the first team squad which he has proven to do.

Improving young players is absolutely spot on.

Disappointing news and I don't agree with Pochettino but maybe there's a case of mind games here and he's testing Edwards to see how he reacts.

Disappointing news and I don't agree with Pochettino but maybe there's a case of mind games here and he's testing Edwards to see how he reacts.

out of curiosity, why would Poch need to play mind games with Edwards?

Or he could be doing what he did with KWP before the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game and is lying to the press to keep pressure off the player

i know Poch doesnt coach the academy, but surely bringing through young players means giving academy players a chance, bringing them through from the academy to the first team squad which he has proven to do.

Improving young players is absolutely spot on.

I intended it to mean bringing in young players into the first team and improving young players who were already there.

Contract negotiations over the summer, fairly protracted ones. Then there is the case that he didn't want to go out on loan this season and instead fight for a squad berth here. Poch might be trying to say to him that just because he wants a first team spot, doesn't mean it will just fall into his lap.

Then again, he's shown in the youth teams that he is above that level. Any other youth teamer showing this much promise would've had a shot tomorrow, which does make me think that this move by Poch could be more to do with Edwards' personality and not ability.

Maybe mind games is the wrong term but I don't think Poch was too impressed by him delaying over a new deal for so long, he will have viewed it as a lack of trust and commitment on Edwards' part and I think Poch is maybe testing his mentality to see how he reacts to what will be a disappointment to him. I could be wrong, it's just a theory, if it's a simple case of him not thinking he's ready then I don't agree(especially when it sounds like Oakley-Boothe is going to be involved) and would question why he involved Edwards at this stage of the season last year then as he certainly hasn't gone backwards since then in his performances or physical development.

Back