• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Marcus Edwards

i never really thought about it tbh. In my mind "bringing young players through" means giving academy players a chance. So yes the likes of Mason, Bentaleb, Townsend, KWP, Winks, Kane have been given first team opportunities by Poch.

Dier, Dele, Rose, Walker obviously dont count as they are non academy players.
I thought Mason Bentaleb Kane and Townsend were from Sherwood, or earlier....

Well reading what Poch has said and taking it at face value, tomorrow may be a little early.

I'm sure we want things to work out for Edwards, we've tried hard to keep him, he has obvious talent and he DID sign up.

i know Poch doesnt coach the academy, but surely bringing through young players means giving academy players a chance, bringing them through from the academy to the first team squad which he has proven to do.

Improving young players is absolutely spot on.
You can define it like that. You can even say that is obvious. But the term can just as easily be used about bringing through a talented young signing with no PL experience to our first team.

Even if you disagree with that. Surely you must agree that there is significant overlap in the skills required to bring through academy players to the first team and bringing young signed players into the team and making them an important part of the team.

Pochettino has a very good record doing both. I trust him to make a good decision on when to give Edwards game time. Watching the Dortmund game I thought Edwards was very much moving in the right direction.

This has echoes of when Poch refused to play Kane in Aug Sept Oct... just play the guy, give him a chance. Definitely mind games or politics; not a decision based on talent

This has echoes of when Poch refused to play Kane in Aug Sept Oct... just play the guy, give him a chance. Definitely mind games or politics; not a decision based on talent

Is he in the team/squad for tonight? (I'm Lazy)

Maybe mind games is the wrong term but I don't think Poch was too impressed by him delaying over a new deal for so long, he will have viewed it as a lack of trust and commitment on Edwards' part and I think Poch is maybe testing his mentality to see how he reacts to what will be a disappointment to him. I could be wrong, it's just a theory, if it's a simple case of him not thinking he's ready then I don't agree(especially when it sounds like Oakley-Boothe is going to be involved) and would question why he involved Edwards at this stage of the season last year then as he certainly hasn't gone backwards since then in his performances or physical development.

The whole contract situation suggested to me Edwards thought he deserved higher placement within the squad, and was likely courted by a bunch of teams offering him first team football. So I *think* Edwards likely feels he deserves to be in the first team squad.

If Pochettino is "playing mind games" at all it is likely to have Edwards realise where he actually stands, and what is really required to break through.

There is no room for complacency in a Poch team, and nobody gets in without 100% having earned it.

It looks like Pochettino is having that hit home. Given Edwards talent I fully expect to see him this season. How soon, and how often, is most certainly down to him though. If he gets on board with Pochettinos expectations then he will succeed.

And to be fair to him, it does sound like he is knuckling down, which can only be good.

The whole contract situation suggested to me Edwards thought he deserved higher placement within the squad, and was likely courted by a bunch of teams offering him first team football. So I *think* Edwards likely feels he deserves to be in the first team squad.

If Pochettino is "playing mind games" at all it is likely to have Edwards realise where he actually stands, and what is really required to break through.

There is no room for complacency in a Poch team, and nobody gets in without 100% having earned it.

It looks like Pochettino is having that hit home. Given Edwards talent I fully expect to see him this season. How soon, and how often, is most certainly down to him though. If he gets on board with Pochettinos expectations then he will succeed.

And to be fair to him, it does sound like he is knuckling down, which can only be good.
No team of equal standing to us would give him first team football. Many of the teans of lower standing to us would also not risk him being a first team player.

Playing somebody who isn't properly fully physically developed too early can be very detrimental to their career as the player can sometimes stop doing what it ia that makes them unique (i.e. in Edwards case - receiving the ball in tight spaces and making aomething happen)

No team of equal standing to us would give him first team football. Many of the teans of lower standing to us would also not risk him being a first team player.

Playing somebody who isn't properly fully physically developed too early can be very detrimental to their career as the player can sometimes stop doing what it ia that makes them unique (i.e. in Edwards case - receiving the ball in tight spaces and making aomething happen)

physically develop? He wont grow any taller and because he is small if he bulks up it may mean he loses nimbleness he currently has.

It seems clear to me he was courting offers at the time. No doubt trying to bind us into promises of progression as young players these days are want to do.

And I dont blame him, its his career and these moments are defining.

I think it is telling that he did sign. My take is not that we promised anything (we wouldnt and dont need to, we have a track record of youth development) but that he wasnt offered what he thought he would be.

Sancho went to Dortmund, and is now closer to top level football than before. No such more appeared for Edwards IMO.

So yeah, no team of high enough standing were serious enough about him.

That said, I still wouldnt have put it past the like of Chelsea to take him anyway just to get one over on us.

Either way, he stayed. And its simple. Play well enough and you get into the mix. That means working extremely hard, talent alone wont do it.

It seems he is taking this on, and IMO Poch omitting him now is a) incentive for him to keep improving and b) indicative of where he actually is in his development.

physically develop? He wont grow any taller and because he is small if he bulks up it may mean he loses nimbleness he currently has.
You don't think an 18 year old professional athlete will develop physically beyond that point?
apparently he was quite poor last night so if there are mind games at play it looks like he is losing.
Ahahahaha. Just stop it...

Apparently, based on one game you didn't watch of an 18 year old you're able to read into mind games that are being speculated about and how that's working out.

Beyond body language expert. This is reading someone's psyche based on a couple of sentences describing how they did in one game. Please tell me where one can learn such skills...

You don't think an 18 year old professional athlete will develop physically beyond that point?

Ahahahaha. Just stop it...

Apparently, based on one game you didn't watch of an 18 year old you're able to read into mind games that are being speculated about and how that's working out.

Beyond body language expert. This is reading someone's psyche based on a couple of sentences describing how they did in one game. Please tell me where one can learn such skills...

i dont think a 19 year old will suddenly grow taller, if you do then fair play.

Grow physically? I did go on to say that he can gain more muscle and strength but maybe that may affect his nimbleness. Ok with that?

the second quote was a bit tongue in cheek. Just following on from a quote by Yoof. Im sorry it made your blood boil.

Look at how Kane developed physically between when he first came into adult football in 2011 (18YO) vs when he broke our first team in 2014 (21YO). He went from slow, slight and weak, to a complete beast of an alround #9.

Even if your size doesn't increase, your strength certainly does - see Modric when he arrived vs seasons 3 and 4 with us

Back