• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Luke Shaw

we have a european tour ahead of us, and will be in year II of our overhaul.

and i assume he is ex teamates with bale, who also chose us and look where he is right now.

I really don't think Europa League participation this season will be decisive for him.

Financially they're in a much stronger position than us. They could have a massive net spend this summer I think, and spending £30m-ish on a young left back will be comfortable enough for them I think, not so much for us. I also think their wage budget dwarfs ours, much more important than EL.

They're a much bigger club than us, one season out of the CL out of 20 (or whatever it is) doesn't change that.

Not sure why Bale chose us, but I thought it was partly because we met Southampton's valuation whereas other clubs were sitting on their hands a bit. For Shaw first team football will be massively important, but I don't think he will have any problems getting that at United.

because of the money? Spread the cost over the next 10 years. thats what United hope Shaw represents to them, a long term Rio Ferdinand-esque type signing.

it is because of the money. basically i don't think hes worth the risk at £27m. if you could garuntee that he was the next roberto carlos, then by all means, lets go get him. but i think theres enough of a chance that he'll just turn out to be an average premier league player. ie. it really would not surprise me if in the next world cup, englands two left backs are gibbs and rose.

in rose, we have someone who was a standout player for a bottom premier league club when he was on loan there as a 21/22 yr old. i think its worth giving him an extended chance tbh

it is because of the money. basically i don't think hes worth the risk at £27m. if you could garuntee that he was the next roberto carlos, then by all means, lets go get him. but i think theres enough of a chance that he'll just turn out to be an average premier league player. ie. it really would not surprise me if in the next world cup, englands two left backs are gibbs and rose.

in rose, we have someone who was a standout player for a bottom premier league club when he was on loan there as a 21/22 yr old. i think its worth giving him an extended chance tbh

He's been extremely up-and-down this season. Very, very much so. We've given him a full uninterrupted season in the first-team, which was his demand last summer upon returning to Spurs. He hasn't impressed much, if at all. Now, we need to bring in a left-back and see how Rose reacts to competition for his place. His reaction will determine his potential, imo. If he buckles down and ups his game, overtaking the guy we bring in, then further faith in him will be justified. If he doesn't and moans about leaving, then he'll never have the mentality we're going to need from our players if we want to start pushing for titles and trophies.

He's had more of a chance given to him than many, many English players in the PL. Let's see if he can't up his game in reciprocation.

The left-back we bring in, however, will not be Shaw. I would like him to be British, but I doubt there are that many good British left-backs around. Ergo, I'm swinging for either an unknown from Argentina or Italy (Baldini's specialty) or Diego Rodriguez.

No way, Shaw is 100% the real deal he's just a little raw - at a similar stage to when Bale was first at us. I think full back is tactically one of the toughest positions to master. In a couple of years he will be considered top class, no doubt....

Surely he's already shown himself to be at least an average Premier League player. And he's still only 18!

Most players do get a bit better with experience, and most players do get better from 18 to 22.

He looks the real deal and then some.

Or maybe send our scouts down to Southampton and Kent where the talent is ripe.

Why Kent why is that more important then Sussex. I am not sure but I suspect you have a problem with Sussex. If I continue to this bigotry from you I shall be distraught.

how did bale up in southampton?

bale was in an "academy" set up by southampton based in Bath. i guess it was close enough to wherever bale lived at the time to pass fa rules. in general tho, southampton can pick any player south of london to play in their main academy. that would be close enough to southampton to pass fa rules. hence shaw is from kingston (near wimbledon, south london). weirdly, shaw was released by chelsea as a kid.

fwiw, in england, something like 90% of players come from north london, merseyside and manchester.

I thought I'd bump this thread as it seems that with the recent performance of Blind in the World Cup as well as the bid that Southampton turned down, Man UTD have switched their focus from Shaw. Chelsea may also be looking elsewhere and Shaw may now end up staying at Southampton. So would people be happy if we bid £30 million for him?

I thought I'd bump this thread as it seems that with the recent performance of Blind in the World Cup as well as the bid that Southampton turned down, Man UTD have switched their focus from Shaw. Chelsea may also be looking elsewhere and Shaw may now end up staying at Southampton. So would people be happy if we bid £30 million for him?

I'd be really surprised if United changed their transfer targets on the basis of one game

Extremely unhappy (and i rate him although his crossing last season was not good) .

I think it'd represent a massive gamble BUT for me, the way we wish to play, left-back has cost us terribly two seasons in a row. One of the most important positions to get right IMO…one thing with 30 mill for him though would be IF he continued his growth, if it all went tits up for us, the resale could be huge (i.e. Madrid, our feeder, buy him for twelfty bazillion)…so weighing it up? If we could get him I'd say 'yes'...

Back