• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Juande Ramos

For me the biggest Disapointment in recent years has been what happened after the cc in 2008. Had Ramos been given the transfer backing that AVB was given I can't help wonder what he could have achieved.

For me the biggest Disapointment in recent years has been what happened after the record points haul in 2012-13. Had AVB been given the transfer backing to get the players he wanted I can't help wonder what he could have achieved

For me the biggest Disapointment in recent years has been what happened after the record points haul in 2012-13. Had AVB been given the transfer backing to get the players he wanted I can't help wonder what he could have achieved

Unfortunately mate no manager ever gets all the players he wants -but AVB was backed pretty well in most areas. Ramos on the other hand was not.

Players such as Hulk whose wages would've broken our financial structure, Villa who didn't want to move and ofc Moutinho who in the end went to Monaco for super money (this one I do blame Levy for). AVB got Soldado and Paulinho as requested though and I don't think we can blame anyone for the way in which Leandro's agents/parent company moved the goalposts nor the way in which Chelsea gazumped us for Willian and ofc Oscar (a player AVB wanted whom Abramovic got the next year working off AVB's scouting notes).

Also as things stand we may see Sherwood out do that points total lol.

Players such as Hulk whose wages would've broken our financial structure, Villa who didn't want to move and ofc Moutinho who in the end went to Monaco for super money (this one I do blame Levy for). AVB got Soldado and Paulinho as requested though and I don't think we can blame anyone for the way in which Leandro's agents/parent company moved the goalposts nor the way in which Chelsea gazumped us for Willian and ofc Oscar (a player AVB wanted whom Abramovic got the next year working off AVB's scouting notes).

The league position is more important to me. We could get get more points than last season and still finish 5th. Points on their own are not a massive achievement, it has to tie in with the league position. Will be interesting to see what happens though if Sherwood does beat that tally and will all the people who valued it last season still regard it so highly should that lucky chancer Sherwood achieve it?

I liked where Ramos was taking us, remember one of his outside consultants Dr Baby Food ? All the players on liqified formulas to give them that premium fuel - we could run, run, run, you could see it when we were motivated in the games v scum and chavs in the CC semi and final. Plus, we had Ledders and Woody as the CB pairing, it was a dream for me with those two, plus Berba and Keane clicking up front. Jenas and Zoks were running everywhere in midfield, the scum and chavs - well, wherever they ran and had the ball, there was always someone there.

Also, we played manyoo at home, we were 1-0 in front till the last minute till a corner, tevez came in and Daws, the mistake magnet, deflected a goal in. If we'd won that game, it would have meant huge things, Fergy was still supreme. We, of course eventually did - with AvB at OT. I think that shows these two tactically had it spot on, but against the lower teams, they couldn't steam roller them, we struggled.

What fell down ? IMO motivation, inspiration ... everyone knows he couldn't communicate well with the players, especially when they were all 'starved'. I remember THudd in a KFC or McD stuffing it down, lol. Commoli as Ramos' rod in his back ? Read Baldini as AvB's.

We should spank Dnipro, but I'd like to see how Timmy considers the Europa. I bet this season won't be such an important, target, but next season by winning there's auto qualification into the CL, all of a sudden it'll be a huge thing. And we won't be the only ones who take it much more seriously if that's where we end up playing.

Haaa well, we are doing excellently now under Timmy - but I have yet to be convinced on tactics v the Bog Boys. March will be Crunch Time, as everyone knows - we wait and see.

The league position is more important to me. We could get get more points than last season and still finish 5th. Points on their own are not a massive achievement, it has to tie in with the league position. Will be interesting to see what happens though if Sherwood does beat that tally and will all the people who valued it last season still regard it so highly should that lucky chancer Sherwood achieve it?

Do you have this response saved on your laptop sonewhere? im sure i see the same thing every time someone mentions last seasons point tally

;)

Unfortunately mate no manager ever gets all the players he wants -but AVB was backed pretty well in most areas. Ramos on the other hand was not.

AVB had it in quantity, but it was obvious that he was let down by the quality of the purchases. He wasn't backed at all, Levy wanted the splunk the cash on chadli, capoue, lamela, erikssen as obvious investments, AVB wanted to win a trophy this season.

just highlights two things:
a) alignment between coach and management wasn't there
b) eventual purchases didn't fulfil the full brief of replacing bale and other players to progress i.e. a conceicao, a moutinho, on top of a goal getter

AVB had it in quantity, but it was obvious that he was let down by the quality of the purchases. He wasn't backed at all, Levy wanted the splunk the cash on chadli, capoue, lamela, erikssen as obvious investments, AVB wanted to win a trophy this season.

I disagree I think that he was backed to a greater extent than any other manager (in one single window). Most observers at the start of the season would say AVB had been left with a pretty strong team despite losing his star player. It was more about the choices he made that caused AVB to fail IMO. Whilst with Ramos he lost his star players and had them replaced them with Bent and Campbell. He had far fewer choices he could make. That said I do think the story. With Ramos was more complicated.

Do you have this response saved on your laptop sonewhere? im sure i see the same thing every time someone mentions last seasons point tally

;)

I could the exact same thing for everyone that brings the record points total up in the first place whenever someone criticises AVB like it trumps every other achievement by a Spurs manager except for Billy Nic :)

I disagree I think that he was backed to a greater extent than any other manager (in one single window). Most observers at the start of the season would say AVB had been left with a pretty strong team despite losing his star player. It was more about the choices he made that caused AVB to fail IMO. Whilst with Ramos he lost his star players and had them replaced them with Bent and Campbell. He had far fewer choices he could make. That said I do think the story. With Ramos was more complicated.

But also he lost Modric, King and Bale in 2 summers, basically our 3 best players and the replacements are raw. Bent at the time was probably a better signing than Soldado has turned out so far.

Ive not included VDV in that list as AVB chose to sell him.

But also he lost Modric, King and Bale in 2 summers, basically our 3 best players and the replacements are raw. Bent at the time was probably a better signing than Soldado has turned out so far.

Ive not included VDV in that list as AVB chose to sell him.[/

He didn't "lose" modric as he had never set up a team with Modric in it. King was not the player he once was and I would argue that verts was superior to the King who played his final season. I cannot agree with any argument I'm afraid that says AVB was hard done by in terms of squad quality especially when compared to what Ramos had in his final season. Much of Soldado's early struggles were of AVB's making by playing a system where he was so isolated and not wanting to play Ade. Soldado is a far superior player to bent in link up play alone.

Last edited:
that cup winning team was the most balanced team I've seen in a spurs team in modern history.
our defence was very good and king never looked better with woodgate alongside him.
in midfield malbranque not the most creative but buffered by zokora and jenas we did OK
our attack was the envy of the league with keane and berbs firing throughout the campaign

there were great synergies across the pitch, collectively they were a very very good team.

that cup winning team was the most balanced team I've seen in a spurs team in modern history.
our defence was very good and king never looked better with woodgate alongside him.
in midfield malbranque not the most creative but buffered by zokora and jenas we did OK
our attack was the envy of the league with keane and berbs firing throughout the campaign

there were great synergies across the pitch, collectively they were a very very good team.

I agree. Great defense and attack. Never understood the post-cup collape and everything that came with it.

I agree. Great defense and attack. Never understood the post-cup collape and everything that came with it.

We've seen it with so many teams though. After a league cup final they simply stop putting in the necessary effort.

Did Ledley play much after the cup win? I remember being at the Chelsea 4-4. He played in that

He didn't play in the league too much, Juande thought it would a good idea to rest him for those meaningless league games and go all out for the UEFA cup and preserve his reputation in the competition.

We've seen it with so many teams though. After a league cup final they simply stop putting in the necessary effort.

Midtable and relegation threatened teams. Teams who are aiming for top 4 and trophies do not stop their season in February when they win a cup.

my theory is that a lot of players wanted out, more than just BOTH keane and berbs wanted out - their way of signalling to the world to come get me. happens to a lot of mid table clubs too

Back