• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Juande Ramos

I always liked Ramos - an intelligent and genuine guy.

The 2008 cup final is definitely in my top 3 greatest moments as a fan (after the '91 final and semi).

quite an interesting read.....

will always be grateful for that cup win...

However hope we smash dnipro....& ramos gets a nice reception at the lane.....losing would be quite a pants down moment for us.

Different times..different players....different regime.....

wonder if timmy lets them have a bacon roll after training?

I think the last of those sort of players have been cleared out over the past 2 years.

Ramos last season was a disaster, our players didn't even look like they knew each other, far less could play together, subs shaking their heads coming on to the pitch, the all too famous 2 from 8.

Grateful for the cup win, but he always looked out of his depth in the league.

So funny, I love your work most of the time but recently I've disagreed with you on a couple of things…and this is one of them.

Got to say, what he did for us the season he came in was phenomenal. We were playing some FANTASTIC football with some average players. His last season (I am assuming you mean the one where we got 2 points from 8 games and he was tin-tacked) came with a slew of mitigating circumstances, a few of which he comments on in that great piece, and one of which isn't mentioned. He suffered a pretty massive personal business disaster back in Spain, and this took away from his focus as I heard it, which gave the likes of Poyet a chance to 'assert' themselves further. I'll say no more, needless to say I think we all now how ambitious Poyet is and I'm not altogether unsure he wasn't 'busy' behind the scenes. I absolutely think he had to go at the time he went, once again it was over for both parties, but out of his depth in this league? No, sorry, can't agree with that; our form until winning the CC was excellent; he was just presiding over wasters and lazy men…and then he lost 54 goals in a summer!

The crazy subtext for me is how often Levy has tried in recent years to go with a DOF/continental structure/foreign manager, only to get cold feet/not offer the proper support/not get the players in he could for whatever reasons. I will always have a place for AVB, and Ramos? Absolutely! He won our lost trophy. I hope he gets a warm reception, he deserves it IMO...

If only he scored THAT effort in the league cup final. Would have been one of the greatest cult heroes ever, up there with Atouba and Freund.

Doo doo doo... Great song

Atouba! Fantastic! I was at Sid James when he put that absolute ****ing BELTER in, oh how I loved him, even though he was crackers! Zokora? Frustrated the hell out of me but yes, will never forget that particular run...

Comolli's signings in the summer of 2008 were awful, he left us with a completely unbalanced squad.

Atouba! Fantastic! I was at Sid James when he put that absolute ****ing BELTER in, oh how I loved him, even though he was crackers! Zokora? Frustrated the hell out of me but yes, will never forget that particular run...

Whenever my mates and I play Fifa/Pro Evo, if someone starts knocking out the Cryuff Turns or overhead flicks in their own penalty box, we call it 'Atoubing!'

I know Zokora was limited, but at least once a game he would fly out from our penalty box deep into the opposition half, only to be tackled at the last second or wallop into Row Z. Spurs legend.

The season he was sacked we would probably been relegated if we didn't make the change when we did. Our next four games were Bolton home (we always struggled against them), Arsenal away (nough said) Liverpool home (tough one) and Emirates Marketing Project away (we don't get much there). We might have had 4 or 5 points from 12 games and our confidence would have been zero.

Our form was bad after the cup win, not just after Berbs and Keane were sold. I thought he had to go because of his lack of English (communication), playing players in their wrong positions and putting the cups before the league. He states in that article that Ledley was only used in important games and he only played him in the Europa league. Sorry but we were bottom of the league which is the clubs bread and butter and surely has to be more important? The players looked pee'ed off and most games we seem to have a player sent off which looked like frustration to me.

To be honest we were all getting pretty nervous about relegation., and who knows if he'd have turned it around. Harry had an instant impact. It wasn't as though things only improved after the transfer window.

He may well have turned it around though. It was like we were always unlucky. Never got spanked, always losing by the odd goal.

I still say now as I did then that I personally wasn't worried about relegation but was just ****ed off that within 4 games of the season we could tell we'd messed up.

I think hiring Harry was right though, but Ramos is right with regards to the transfer policy we had. That window was a shambles.

Our form was bad after the cup win, not just after Berbs and Keane were sold. I thought he had to go because of his lack of English (communication), playing players in their wrong positions and putting the cups before the league. He states in that article that Ledley was only used in important games and he only played him in the Europa league. Sorry but we were bottom of the league which is the clubs bread and butter and surely has to be more important? The players looked pee'ed off and most games we seem to have a player sent off which looked like frustration to me.

Absolutely agree. Very frustrating time as the Cup win looked like a catalyst to kick us onward and upward. Instead, we stagnated then deteriorated.

As for the Daily Mail version of this interview, it's clearly a straight scalp of the Sid Lowe article in the Guardian. Totally poached. Lowe's a hell of a good reporter and feature writer working for a quality newspaper. Jenson is a nobody working in a fish wrap factory.

For me the biggest Disapointment in recent years has been what happened after the cc in 2008. Had Ramos been given the transfer backing that AVB was given I can't help wonder what he could have achieved.

Ramos = Laudrup

The comparison being that they both came in and got their teams playing some good football, won a league cup final then ****ed away the rest of the season before finding it hard to get the players playing again. I can't claim to remember much about that time, but I definately do recall the way in which we did sweet FA for the rest of that season. I also remember watching GDS and Bent in fine form during pre season with Chris Gunther looking like the best right back in the world.

Man UTD screwed us RE: Berba. Everyone knew he wanted to go but they ****ed us around with the price and it only went through at the 11th hour because they finally stumped up the cash. I'm still happy with Levy for playing hard ball with them and making sure we got top dollar, because IIRC at the time Fergie was talking like they'd pay little more than £20 million. Ramos admits to knowing the limitations of the club and knows why they are in place and he's right our economic model cannot guarantee trophies. However I'd rather see us like this than have a season where we blow a wad of cash gambling only to fall short and then witness a financial mess. The Premier League is a nasty place unless you have the cash, so until the time comes when we can compete on a similar financial footing, I'm happy to see us take a gamble on cheaper stars of the future with the aim of bringing through a crop together.

Started off well but look at our league form when he was managers. He played our best defender in the UEFA Cup and rested him in the league when we were at the foot of the table. I find it ludicrous that people actually believe we would have finished 4th with him in charge, highest we would have got with him was midtable, Christ our Premier League status was in jeoprady with him at the helm.

Back