• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Josh Onomah

I'm really struggling to understand what kind of player he is...someone help!

What's his best position? What are his strengths?

Along with CCV he badly needs a loan move! I understand Poch's reluctance that they may pick up bad habits etc but they're living in the luxury would have Prem football and could do with going back to basics and growing up a bit!

See my posts in the match thread - needs a boot up his arse. Doesnt run and saunters around as though he's Messi/Ronaldo. He must be amazing in training because Poch keeps picking him despite him never contributing anything in matches. He's had enough game time now for it to be reasonable to expect him to actually do something, but its like playing with 10 men. Some people say he's a CM but even passing/creative/playmaker CMs run - Modric, Rakatic, even our own Harry Winks.

Whereas most of us fans usually get excited/pleased when we see a youngster in the starting line-up, now I actually hope he's not picked because he doesnt do anything

When he signed his first professional contract all the big sides wanted him apparently

Now I'm not sure anyone of that level would contemplate it

Either he has hasn't progressed or he is not happy playing as their is zero evidence on the pitch of a player with even a modicum of football ability from what I've seen

I just can't fathom out why we play him out of position all the time

When he signed his first professional contract all the big sides wanted him apparently

Now I'm not sure anyone of that level would contemplate it

Either he has hasn't progressed or he is not happy playing as their is zero evidence on the pitch of a player with even a modicum of football ability from what I've seen

I just can't fathom out why we play him out of position all the time

Play him out of position? Would you pick someone who doesn't run or work remotely hard in centre midfield?!? You cant just stroll about the place in CM in men's football in the same way which you might be able to in youth football

Quoting someone from the match-thread:

I'll trust Poch for a bit on this one. I've never seen it with the lad either but, like many on this board, I didn't rate Kane or Rose initially and both are top, top players. Sometimes we're guilty of impatience with good young players.

I think I agree with this. I do not see whatever Poch sees with this player, but I will trust Poch's judgement.

Quoting someone from the match-thread:

I think I agree with this. I do not see whatever Poch sees with this player, but I will trust Poch's judgement.

But Poch ain't infallible in his choice of players. There have already been quite a few that haven't worked out under him. We are all entitled to our own opinions on players. If not, it would be a dull old board.

But Poch ain't infallible in his choice of players. There have already been quite a few that haven't worked out under him. We are all entitled to our own opinions on players. If not, it would be a dull old board.

I agree, we can all have our opinions. I don't see anything in Onomah at all. But if Poch does and wants to give him more time, then I guess we can also be patient with the player, even if we don't think he's up to much on his showings for us so far.

Play him out of position? Would you pick someone who doesn't run or work remotely hard in centre midfield?!? You cant just stroll about the place in CM in men's football in the same way which you might be able to in youth football
He works a bit harder than you are saying. I don't think that is his main problem IMO. For me it is that he rarely if ever takes a risk with the ball. For a centre midfielder recycling of possession is not a bad thing but further up the pitch, where Poch is playing him, you do need to take a chance or too. His mindset hasn't adjusted to the more attacking role IMO.
But he's young and obviously shows something in training so hopefully he'll come good.

I like the look of the Arsenal midfielder Jeff Reine-Adélaïde today against Southampton, looks assured and a big unit. No reason onamah cannot be the same type of player. As other posters have said we need to trust Poch on his development.

Of course no manager is infallible but if he repeatedly shows that he rates a certain player (rather than getting them out at the first opportunity) then clearly there is something there. Given that it is not a single instance mistake, it's either that the fans see something Poch doesn't, or Poch sees something that some fans miss. Given what Poch has achieved, he's earned our trust on the repeated selection of a young player.

But regardless of all that, I think people are just misunderstanding Onamah's game. Expecting him to be a Dele Alli type behind the striker. He's actually a Moussa type that's played a little further forward, probably due to the fact that Poch doesn't want him in the danger zone with more defensive responsibilities until he's more experienced. Winks is a little more comfortable playing deeper, but Josh feels like the Moussa box to box type in our system.

People are expecting him seemingly to do a lot of stuff and calling it poor when he doesn't, as if the whole team was smashing it out of the park in the first half and he was the obvious weak link. It wasn't like that. We were playing well going forward and Onamah contributed. Liverpool against Wolves - that was a team full of poor performances.

Have to trust the manager here, there was a recent interview with King where he credited Graham with working him out and finding his place at CB, that is how we think of him yet he'd always been a midfielder in his own mind beforehand

he who shall not be named made his debut as a forward, Mason was a free scoring number 10

top level senior football is a different game to that which leads to it

I prefer players to prove they're the real deal before they sport an 'I'm so good I can have a brick haircut and get away with it'.

My thoughts too; You only have to look at Pogba.It's like someone wearing all the gear at Golf, Plus Four's and some Robbie Savage brick lairy clobber, only to air-shot off the tee. Needs to get a Barnet like Danny Rose, and apply himself like Danny Rose.
#iamthehaircutpolice

+1 @BrainOfLevy

I've not seen as much of him at youth level as someone like Yoof, but I've been swayed into seeing him as a #8. He's not got the mindset of a goalscorer imo and does best with runners to aim at, thus the idea of deploying him deeper. Just as you said he's not ready for the defensive duties of a #8 so Poch is giving him game time against senior players in the hope that he develops further. Unfortunately for him Winks is already ahead of him in the queue, so he's going to need to really apply himself before getting ahead of Winks.

NB: As for the haircut. FFS a lot of lads his age have brick haircuts, I'm not gonna hold it against him.

we're debating haircuts now? is this a new low?

Well... we are and we aren't...

You look at Harry Winks and his hair style and what you see? I see a humble young man who has his feet firmly on the ground, who knows that he has achieved nothing yet and that lots of hard graft is needed for him to succeed. And you know what? I look at his game and it is the exactly reflection of that personality.

Then I look at Onomah and - rightly or wrongly - when I see that hairstyle and demeanor I cannot but get the impression of a youngster who thinks he has already arrived and wants to show it off. And I look at him on the pitch and see very much the same thing. On the periphery of every game I have seen him play, not exactly busting a gut for the team; sort of believing he is above that. And the worst thing about it is that I felt the same thing seeing him play in pre-season, from when his game does not seem to have improved one inch.

Now I understand I am making a lot of suppositions but it has been very rare for me to see a youngster make it, when he has been as poor as Onomah has been. I saw more in Edwards 20 minute cameo in the League Cup than all the appearances that Onomah has made!

Much as he is one of Poch's pet players, there are few academy players who I can think need more to go out on loan to a Championship side for the rest of the season, so as to see what he is made of - one way or the other....

He needs to be more hungry to demonstrate his quality. Reminds me of Dier. Capable of so much more but needs to be coaxed / forced to show that level.

Back