• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Josh Onomah

Cvxg-QCWgAAghcg.jpg

I love this picture....Cool Berba and the future.

I do think that it's too soon to be writing him off, especially after the Liverpool game where he was completely out of position. With that said, he does shy away from the physical side of the game irrespective of position on the field. I've criticised him for it before, that he lacks the intesity of a top level footballer. He's not a small player, so someone just needs to let him know that it's ok to go in hard for a challenge.

He's not a winger and probably would've been playing where Carroll played had we had alternative options on the right.

Have to say I've not noticed a lack of effort. In all of though I've been a bit underwhelmed by him so far.

I think Winks is the most likely to be a first team regular of all our kids.

I think it's still Onomah judging by the way Poch has really pushed his inclusion into the side and squad - you can see that from mins played. He also has the athleticism and size that Poch seems to cherish plus he also has the potential to impact games to a greater extent. He is really really good and he needs to and should improve - he needs to play more centrally. Winks is another player that looks a talent, it's just that in his CM position and with what he does, there will always be people who can do that job. My opinion is based on what I have seen over 3-4 years and also in terms who has the best chance of breaking into the first xi AND staying there.

Don't think he has any chance of breaking into our first 11 and staying there whatsoever. Distinctly underwhelmed whenever I have watched him and don't believe he is in anyway good enough to be taking up a position within the 25, never mind a spot on the bench. Watched him during the half time warm up yesterday and everyone else was actively stretching and getting involved and Onomah was just going through the motions with pretty lacksidaiscal effort regarding stretching. Strikes me as perhaps being more than aware that certain people rate him at the club, maybe a bit too much internal profile too soon with nothing to really back it up.

I would send him out on loan to a championship club and make a decision on his future in the summer personally.

Don't think he has any chance of breaking into our first 11 and staying there whatsoever. Distinctly underwhelmed whenever I have watched him and don't believe he is in anyway good enough to be taking up a position within the 25, never mind a spot on the bench. Watched him during the half time warm up yesterday and everyone else was actively stretching and getting involved and Onomah was just going through the motions with pretty lacksidaiscal effort regarding stretching. Strikes me as perhaps being more than aware that certain people rate him at the club, maybe a bit too much internal profile too soon with nothing to really back it up.

I would send him out on loan to a championship club and make a decision on his future in the summer personally.

I said the same thing after the L'pool game, he may turn out to be a good player but we will only find out when he puts a run of games together. From what i have seen ( and i have been at most of the games he has played for the first team) he will not get that here.

That's seemed the way to me as well; In fact often @Yoof seems to have alluded to that; @Yoof did you see that game yesterday and was Onomah's performance an example of the 'coasting' you have mentioned previously?

Sorry I didn't reply to this sooner.

I personally thought his work-rate on the night wasn't as bad as others have made out, he could've done more going back but he pressed well from the front, albeit perhaps not terribly effectively. He has a languid running style which doesn't help him in terms of attracting criticism regarding his work-rate but he has been known to stroll through games as you mentioned, ultimately though I don't think we'd be seeing him in and around the first team if he wasn't putting in the effort as Poch has shown in the past that he simply won't allow coasters.

My issue is with how he's being used. Not once in the four years I've been watching Onomah has he played out wide, it's difficult enough for a young player to make the transition from youth to senior football without them having to do so in what is frankly an alien position to him. I've seen plenty of fans say "I don't see it" and I'm not surprised as they're probably expecting an Nkoudou type run down the line, cross, shoot and generally get at and attack the opposing full back type player when that's not his game at all. He's a player that excels in the middle third of the pitch, not the final third and certainly not from out wide. He's a player that likes to get on the ball deep and progress it forward whether it be through passing or striding forward with it himself before finding a teammate who is actually likely to be a threat to the opposition's goal. I'm sure some will read this and think I'm just making excuses for him but whilst some players are versatile and can perform a number of roles to a decent level, others have a more specific skill-set which is more suited to playing a particular position. As an example when Rose was coming through I always maintained that he wouldn't make it here as a winger but that he could be a fantastic full back, similarly if we're waiting for Josh to develop into some dynamic attacking winger then we're going to be waiting a long time but he can become a very good central midfielder.

Although some fans have already decided he's useless and that he'll never make it, he still is a big talent and one that we need to be patient with. The problem he faces is actually getting the chance to learn and develop in his best role as not only does the little game-time he does get come in a position he's not suited to but a loan seems to be out of the question as Poch is pretty insistent on our best young players staying at the club.

Last edited:

I personally thought his work-rate on the night wasn't as bad as others have made out, he could've done more going back but he pressed well from the front, albeit perhaps not terribly effectively. He has a languid running style which doesn't help him in terms of attracting criticism regarding his work-rate but he has been known to stroll through games as you mentioned, ultimately though I don't think we'd be seeing him in and around the first team if he wasn't putting in the effort as Poch has shown in the past that he simply won't allow coasters.

My issue is with how he's being used. Not once in the four years I've been watching Onomah has he played out wide, it's difficult enough for a young player to make the transition from youth to senior football without them having to do so in what is frankly an alien position to him. I've seen plenty of fans say "I don't see it" and I'm not surprised as they're probably expecting an Nkoudou type run down the line, cross, shoot and generally get at and attack the opposing full back type player when that's not his game at all. He's a player that excels in the middle third of the pitch, not the final third and certainly not from out wide. He's a player that likes to get on the ball deep and progress it forward whether it be through passing or striding forward with it himself before finding a teammate who is actually likely to be a threat to the opposition's goal. I'm sure some will read this and think I'm just making excuses for him but whilst some players are versatile and can perform a number of roles to a decent level, others have a more specific skill-set which is more suited to playing a particular position. As an example when Rose was coming through I always maintained that he wouldn't make it here as a winger but that he could be a fantastic full back, similarly if we're waiting for Josh to develop into some dynamic attacking winger then we're going to be waiting a long time but he can become a very good central midfielder.

Although some fans have already decided he's useless and that he'll never make it, he still is a big talent and one that we need to be patient with. The problem he faces is actually getting the chance to learn and develop in his best role as not only does the little game-time he does get come in a position he's not suited to but a loan seems to be out of the question as Poch is pretty insistent on our best young players staying at the club.

Thanks as always for your insights into the young 'uns. Unless intelligent people put in the time to watch a player develop it is difficult to have a viable opinion of their potential.

My issue is with how he's being used. Not once in the four years I've been watching Onomah has he played out wide, it's difficult enough for a young player to make the transition from youth to senior football without them having to do so in what is frankly an alien position to him. .

So we have an 18-19 yr old, in the starting 11,in a knock-out cup game, against top level (almost equally 'rotated') opposition, playing in a position he has not been seeing playing in the last 4 years? I thought he did more than OK in any case but taking into account what you have told us, I'd say hats off to Josh. He acquitted himself well.

Patience perhaps? How good was Kane at 19?

It's pretty standard for young players to get their chance in somewhat unfamiliar positions at first.

Pochettino seems to have a plan for Onomah and seems to rate him highly. I find it very strange to make a problem out of him starting wide in a 4-2-3-1 when he's played a lot of games as a #10 in the past. A #10 having a starting role wide is pretty standard these days and it's somehting Onomah should try to get used to.

I agree with patience though.

Get these lads playing for the likes of QPR and gain experience with proper competition,christ knows they could do with some help.
Patients is all well and good but look where it got Mason, Bentaleb and what does the future hold for Tom Carroll?

Harry is a great example, cream rises to the top this goes for Bentaleb who is ATM making Poch look a bit silly.

Patience perhaps? How good was Kane at 19?

It's pretty standard for young players to get their chance in somewhat unfamiliar positions at first.

Pochettino seems to have a plan for Onomah and seems to rate him highly. I find it very strange to make a problem out of him starting wide in a 4-2-3-1 when he's played a lot of games as a #10 in the past. A #10 having a starting role wide is pretty standard these days and it's somehting Onomah should try to get used to.

Haha, ok oh ever so wise one. Life can't always be lived sitting on the fence and taking a moral high ground because you might be inclined to give Onomah another 4-5 years to prove himself. I don't really require patience on this issue, I feel I have seen enough to make my overall judgement. I might be right, I might be wrong but I feel fairly comfortable with my analysis.

It's a problem when his performances are attracting criticism. I don't know Josh personally but it's quite possible for a young player to have their confidence dented when all they see on their social media is a barrage of abuse from their own fans, hopefully he's not one to be affected by it but if he is then doing a Rose and getting off Twitter for a while might be a good idea. He may have played as a #10 in the past but he has never particularly excelled there. Marcus Edwards - an actual #10 - starting wide would be pretty standard, for Josh it's just one more step away from where he really needs to be used if you're to see why he's been so highly talked about these past few years. I don't know what Pochettino's plan for him is but whatever it is I can't see Josh playing a great deal more this season so I guess we just have to hope that training alone is enough for him to develop.

It's a problem when his performances are attracting criticism. I don't know Josh personally but it's quite possible for a young player to have their confidence dented when all they see on their social media is a barrage of abuse from their own fans, hopefully he's not one to be affected by it but if he is then doing a Rose and getting off Twitter for a while might be a good idea. He may have played as a #10 in the past but he has never particularly excelled there. Marcus Edwards - an actual #10 - starting wide would be pretty standard, for Josh it's just one more step away from where he really needs to be used if you're to see why he's been so highly talked about these past few years. I don't know what Pochettino's plan for him is but whatever it is I can't see Josh playing a great deal more this season so I guess we just have to hope that training alone is enough for him to develop.

I usually take the side of our fans when it comes to arguments about them against the players/staff/board and so on, but the sort of stuff our players sometimes get on Twitter is bloody sickening, and I won't ever defend that. Personally I think all our young lads should be advised to either stay off Twitter/FB/whatever or create and maintain private and public accounts while ignoring the notifications from the public one.

the sort of stuff our players sometimes get on Twitter is bloody sickening, and I won't ever defend that.

Agreed, every other day they are holding up their new free boots or clothes or playing the latest video games for free or saying "I had a nice pizza, it was nice" to get free meals

He was very poor against Liverpool - but those performance's are just as important as the good ones. How he reacts is important.

I still don't see what he really offers, but will happily be proved wrong

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate the detail

Should have got minutes for erisken last night - ideal position and situation where we were crying out for something like that. Winks did well in midfield but imo we needed a little bit more flair through the middle. Ah well I look forward to him coming on right wing for 5 mins against arsenal....

“I don’t think the fans have seen the best of me, I think I still have a lot to offer. I can still be a lot more positive on the ball, score more goals, be more effective, get more crosses, in, dribble more.

“When I scored my goal I think that was only the first glimpse of what I can really do. I just hope the fans carry on being patient with me until I can show them what I can do.

“I don’t think age should matter - if you’re a good player you should show it, and if you play badly sometimes you should be told you’ve played badly so you can learn from your mistakes and hope for the next time to play, so you can show what you’re good at.

“The gaffer (Mauricio Pochettino) will tell you how you could improve what you’ve done wrong, so the next time you can show that you’ve learned.”

Full interview here :
http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/sport/foot..._north_london_derby_against_arsenal_1_4760367

Back