• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

However, his team selection in all those three games was potentially suicidal and so it proved.
Any idea why Mourinho has gone for such risky formations? Really unbalanced, attack at all costs teams, which means we leak goals and have to chase the game. It isn't dull but it's daft.

Dunno but it was the same tinkering that the previous manager was getting stick for

And why was that? look, I don't want to revisit this many more than you probably don't, but there are reasons behind it.

We all know it was a mix of a lot of things - some of which he was responsible, others not.

But he didn’t want to be here and his attitude stank at the end - so it’s boring reading it was wrong to part ways, when it was best for everyone.

We all know it was a mix of a lot of things - some of which he was responsible, others not.

But he didn’t want to be here and his attitude stank at the end - so it’s boring reading it was wrong to part ways, when it was best for everyone.

I see. Sorry to have potentially bored you again. You know what has bored me more? Hearing how Mourinho is going to be "the man ", "has changed", etc, etc. As ever, I pray to be wrong on all counts, no,I really do because this club is bigger than everything involved in it.

I think Levy has ultimately taken a massive gamble. Somewhere along the line the unity between Poch and Levy that made us so formidable broke down. Levy has decided that maybe Poch wasn’t the right person to take us forward and at that point, he starts becoming less willing to indulge in the things that would keep Poch happy (ranging from smaller things like not installing the cameras he wanted through to larger issues of squad rebuilding.)

When this happens, obviously Poch would be more likely to want to go himself if he realises he’s on a hiding to nothing. But I don’t think it’s as simple as ‘Poch gave up and wanted out.’ I think the breakdown of their relationship and their different visions for the club, or at least how we could reach our aims, meant that there needed to be a parting of the ways.

Levy is in the hot seat, so gets to make the decisions, reaping the rewards of the ones that go well but deservedly taking the flack when they don’t. And as long as he learns from that each time, he’s fine by me. I think what happened here is that Levy either didn’t think the players should have been struggling as much as they were over the last year and they had more to give, or the funds weren’t there / weren’t willing to be spent to buy the replacements needed. Clearly Poch wanted a lot moved out, clearly Levy either didn’t believe it was necessary or didn’t believe we were capable of doing it financially.

Levy has near enough explicitly said he hired José so that it wouldn’t be a lost season. We have to win something or finish top 4, otherwise this has been a big gamble that didn’t need to take place. We’ve hired a Manager whose record has seemingly gotten worse and worse since his peak, and we’ve sacked one that by all accounts is one of the top coaches in the game. If we are now saying that José needs a couple of transfer windows to get his players in, and to let his mentality shift happen then I am just going to be of the opinion that it was a gamble that didn’t work out. If we lose this season anyway, it’s come at a significant cost to sack a great Manager and hire another, but also at the cost of burning the loyalty of a man who showed it to us when we needed him to the most.

Levy had strategic options. He could have heeded Poch, he could have moved our players for less, he could have made it easier to do the rebuild. He could have let him install his bloody cameras. But he didn’t, and that makes it difficult for Poch to carry on. Levy went the other way, and Jose needs to deliver. I don’t think these performances / results are Jose’s fault, but he was brought here to provide a short term boost and save the season. He acknowledged this - he said the squad was a top 3 squad. Him getting this job came at a cost of losing a man that did so much for us over such a consistent period. It needs to work and we need to save this season with a trophy or the top 4. If we don’t and we end up finally rebuilding anyway it’s a failed gamble as far as I’m concerned.

I see. Sorry to have potentially bored you again. You know what has bored me more? Hearing how Mourinho is going to be "the man ", "has changed", etc, etc. As ever, I pray to be wrong on all counts, no,I really do because this club is bigger than everything involved in it.

Mourinho just needs time. Clearly the situation in the past was not all to do with Poch but the situation now is we need a new squad and we need to give that guy in charge time to deliver.

I know those in love with Poch are going to take the time to stick the boot in evert time we lose but we need time.

Mourinho just needs time. Clearly the situation in the past was not all to do with Poch but the situation now is we need a new squad and we need to give that guy in charge time to deliver.

I know those in love with Poch are going to take the time to stick the boot in evert time we lose but we need time.

Absolutely correct. And I did (do) love Poch but he was NEVER going to turn it around.

We are in a sticky situation - and have been for a year really - but I think Mourinho will sort it. We probably won’t see the start of that until next season; there is too much to do for it all to happen in 5 months.

He came in did sensible things. Played a defensive midfielder next to someone who could pass the ball. And it worked.

Now he's into Sherwood/late Poch territory. No plan. Just throwing players on out of position. Two wingers as full backs. Back two with no protection with a number 10 and a right wingers playing in central midfield.

Completely unable to hold on the ball. Players with no idea where they are supposed to be playing in new roles. Players with no idea where their teammates are gonna be because they don't play there from one game to the next.
Agreed, and it is worrying.
I can't work out what his masterplan is... perhaps he is picking players based on their height or surname or international caps or speed or Uno triumphs but I can't work out what he is doing.

This is not the first game we have lost under Mourinho. So wrongo matey! I agree he needs time. He will also need HIS type of backing...

Oh so now we need time patience and a new squad

Couldn't make it up.

One thing you forgoe when you jump on the manager merry go round with a short term appointment like Mourinho is the calls for patience and time, even less so when the previous manager was thrown out because you sided with the quality of the squad over him - Mourinho has to deliver, now and with these players, it's what you all demanded of Pochettino and so it's only fair it should be demanded of Jose.

The fudging cheek of it

Last edited:

Couldn't make it up.

One thing you forgoe when you jump on the manager merry go round with a short term appointment like Mourinho is the calls for patience and time, even less so when the previous manager was thrown out because you sided with the quality of the squad over him - Mourinho has to deliver, now and with these players, it's what you all demanded of Pochettino and so it's only fair it should be demanded of Jose.

The fudging cheek of it

Poch didn’t want to be here.That was obvious by the time he was sacked - in fact, he’d been fluttering his eyelashes at other clubs for a couple of years. THAT, combined with a terrible run of PL results over the guts of 12 months, was the reason some people felt him going was the right thing to happen.

Mourinho has been in the job six weeks - not five and a half years. There are a lot of people on here overreacting to a bad Christmas.

Last edited:
Poch didn’t want to be here.That was obvious by the time he was sacked - in fact, he’d been fluttering his eyelashes at other clubs for a couple of years. THAT, combined with a terrible run of PL results over the guys of 12 months, was the reason some people felt him going was the right thing to happen.

Mourinho has been in the job six weeks. There are a lot of people on here overreacting to a bad Christmas.

Actions speak louder than words, he could have walked at any point in to the United and Real Madrid jobs but he signed new deals for us instead, so it's only peoples insecurities that make the 'fluttering of eyelashes' an issue

The terrible run of form is a direct result of the squad issues that have been discussed elsewhere - we weakened the squad over several seasons and hung on to wantaway players, the form was inevitable and will continue under Mourinho unless we heavily overhaul the squad.

Last edited:

Couldn't make it up.

The fudging cheek of it

Agreed!

Poch didn’t want to be here.That was obvious by the time he was sacked - in fact, he’d been fluttering his eyelashes at other clubs for a couple of years. THAT, combined with a terrible run of PL results over the guts of 12 months, was the reason some people felt him going was the right thing to happen.

Mourinho has been in the job six weeks - not five and a half years. There are a lot of people on here overreacting to a bad Christmas.

No he had never fluttered eyelashes at anyone. They came for him.

Couldn't make it up.

The fudging cheek of it

I agree with you re: Poch and double-standard judgements. I personally also believe Mourinho needs time too, but it makes me laugh that he is largely escaping criticisms for exactly the same things that Poch got coated for...

Last edited:
I agree with you re: Poch and double-standard judgements. I personally also believe Mourinho needs time too, but it makes me laugh that he is largely escaping criticisms for exactly the same things that Poch got coated for...
He is getting torn apart by plenty pf fans for “not having a clue”, “being a relic” and other comments after 6/7 weeks... I mean at least give him double figure weeks before telling the world how brick he is spurs fans

Not that it will matter, I was a big fan of Poch and felt it was the wrong decision to let him go. However, I want Jose to succeed now. I agree he needs time and he needs to use the transfer market wisely. Levy must back him.

Agreed.

I was sad to see Poch go. I think Levy royally fudged him in the last couple of seasons. I did not want Mourinho. I think it will all end in tears.

HOWEVER, he is here now and as long as its not Baghdadi/Jung un/ Bush etc leading the team, I can just about support anyone. A successful Mourinho means a successful Spurs, which I can fully get on board with.

I'd much rather he succeed than be proved right so please please win some trophies, get us back in the top 4 and leave the squad in a decent state. That is going to need some investment from ENIC too I'm sad to say. So open up the funds, it will be needed in the next 3 windows.

If we do a Liverpool, reach 2 consecutive CL finals (having reached an EL final as well), winning one, getting the 3rd highest points total ever in the league...then we can sit on our laurels if we really want and buy nobody. Until then, bloody spend some money and more importantly, get someone who can identify the right players to spend the money on.

Last edited:
He is getting torn apart by plenty pf fans for “not having a clue”, “being a relic” and other comments after 6/7 weeks... I mean at least give him double figure weeks before telling the world how brick he is spurs fans
The small consolation that came out of sacking Poch was that it was Jose who replaced him. If any one can turn around this car crash it's him. So no one wants him sacked of that I am sure.

Going forward might as well give some youth a game . The likes of Tanganga , Parrot, Skipp.

We are not getting in the top 4 and you’d expect some desire to be shown by them as they are looking to impress. They may not be good enough but can’t be any worse than a declining Alderweireld , Vertonghen and Dier.
Kane being out surely gets TP some minutes he’s the only CF type we will have in squad.

Jose keeps saying we are not looking to spend so don’t see any other option.

Back