• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

I agree with @Spur of the moment - Wimmer has been passing like Toby of late

I really think it's helped that he has known that barring a disaster he was gonna get a solid run

I genuinely didn't think he could be as good as he has been as he was regarded in Germany as a hard worker but not necessarily as a talented player (from what I read). He isn't even a starter for his country

Jan got in and stayed in the team as it was the best pairing at the time. He now needs to get fit and prove himself if he gets a chance

I'd bring Jan back in a game where we will be all over a team playing all out defence. Next game like that is probably West Brom at home (we've got Liverpool away, Utd at home and Stoke away before that game. None of them would be an easy comeback for a centre-half who has been out for a long time).

The numbers says otherwise (league only).

Alderweireld/Wimmer: 1 goal conceded every 144 minutes
Alderweireld/Vertonghen: 1 goal conceded every 108 minutes

Cdq2NlAWIAAzg4W.jpg

who is #1 in clearances, passing accuracy and interceptions?

Important that Wimmer, Toby and Jan can all interchange without leading to a drop off in standards. Obviously Toby is freakishly good but there will be days when Wimmer and Vertongen will be perfectly good enough for us to rotate a little.

I agree Wimmer shouldn't be dropped just because Vertongen is fit again but I'd also keep things fresh by given Vertongen a subsitute appearance (game situation depending) before he's actually called upon. Lucky to have these three.

Shut the door on your way out Fazio!

The title says 'Tottenham ranking'.....so is this him compared to Walker, TA and Rose?!? If so, it doesn't really say too much

Like most stats they CAN be misleading and used by some to push their own opinions on players/stance.

I agree with @Spur of the moment - Wimmer has been passing like Toby of late

I really think it's helped that he has known that barring a disaster he was gonna get a solid run

I genuinely didn't think he could be as good as he has been as he was regarded in Germany as a hard worker but not necessarily as a talented player (from what I read). He isn't even a starter for his country

Jan got in and stayed in the team as it was the best pairing at the time. He now needs to get fit and prove himself if he gets a chance

Very good point, Wimmer had played very little top class football before coming here and to come in as he did and perform so well says a lot about him.

Very good point, Wimmer had played very little top class football before coming here and to come in as he did and perform so well says a lot about him.

It says masses to me about how defending first and foremost comes down to hard work and why great teams build from the back

The hard work starts there and the rewards come from it

To them defence seems to be something that you are supposed to have but is generally unimportant. In fact in terms of quality defenders, do they have any? Pique?

it's a team game, their defensive strategy is that they have the ball in their opponents half

it's a team game, their defensive strategy is that they have the ball in their opponents half

I think they are the best example of that in world football, bang average defenders or indeed in Mascheranos case a midfielder in defence and it doesnt effect their results.

how often have they won the league without conceding the fewest goals?

A few times.. and a few times they have conceded the least and still not won the league.. Your second point about it bing a team game has more truth and was my point. There is more than one way to skin a cat and its about the collective 11 and not back 4, front 3 etc..

I think they are the best example of that in world football, bang average defenders or indeed in Mascheranos case a midfielder in defence and it doesnt effect their results.

IMO, they have had some excellent defenders. Pique, fit and on form, is an excellent player. Puyol was like John Terry with pace, he was one of the best defenders of his generation imo. Remember when Guardiola would switch him out to full-back to shut down Ronaldo in the classicos years ago? Beast of a player. Mascherano is a fantastic defender imo. Alba is very good at left-back, Abidal before him was a very soild full-back who could also play centre-half.

Of course, they concede so few goals because they don't let the opposition have the ball and play the game in the opposition half, as others have said.

IMO, they have had some excellent defenders. Pique, fit and on form, is an excellent player. Puyol was like John Terry with pace, he was one of the best defenders of his generation imo. Remember when Guardiola would switch him out to full-back to shut down Ronaldo in the classicos years ago? Beast of a player. Mascherano is a fantastic defender imo. Alba is very good at left-back, Abidal before him was a very soild full-back who could also play centre-half.

Of course, they concede so few goals because they don't let the opposition have the ball and play the game in the opposition half, as others have said.

Makes sense though if you play that way, you can channel the money you spend to the forward players as they have.

Agreed. I think it is a fallacy that Barcelona do not have good defenders. Of course their style of football means that they need their defenders to be very comfortable in possession of the football, but they can all still defend well and IMO would all succeed in another team.

Barcelona have an outstanding defence and is why their keepers regularly won the golden gloves

They defend from the front and have an incredibly well organised team

It gives them the platform to play their game

None of their defenders are oustsanding as individuals defensively but as part of the team their top notch as their results show

It's why Suarez slotted in but Zlatan didn't - different style and work ethic. Burn brilliant players but Zlatan will not hound the opposition

Back