• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Agreed. It's harsh on Wimmer, but this is life as a 22 year old backup at a big club. Vertonghen is our first choice and showed his quality again by stepping right back in from an injury break and doing really well. He's better than Wimmer right now. No shame in that for Wimmer, the future looks really bright for him.

The best compliment I think we could pay Wimmer is that his introduction was seem-less and tbh you hardly noticed Vertonghen was injured. Have no worries next season if has to step in.
Not sure how far off CCV is from being the 4th choice, but we definitely need a capable 4th CB so we dont need to use Dier

Excellent again yesterday. I like Wimmer, I really do. And a year or two down the line he might be top class. But right now Vertonghen is on a different level. Just so so good.

Excellent again yesterday. I like Wimmer, I really do. And a year or two down the line he might be top class. But right now Vertonghen is on a different level. Just so so good.

Wimmer is good, amazingly so considering how little top level experience he has.

Jan/Toby just have an understanding that take Jan up a notch.

Expect to see Wimmer get a fair amount of game time next season (we will rotate the CB's more in cups)

Wimmer is good, amazingly so considering how little top level experience he has.

Jan/Toby just have an understanding that take Jan up a notch.

Expect to see Wimmer get a fair amount of game time next season (we will rotate the CB's more in cups)

Vertonghen for me is above Wimmer not only because of the understanding he has with Alderweireld.

Apart from a very frustrating second season where he looked a bit lost, thanks to us looking a bit lost as a club under the failing AVB and ***removed for risk of going off topic*** Sherwood.

Vertonghen was huge against Chelsea. Controlled Terry for all their set pieces. Wound up Costa to get him on a yellow, unfortunately got a yellow himself in the process - but then proceeded to play perfectly as a CB on a yellow card. Was brave on the ball and seemed to keep his cool fairly well when the going got tough towards the end.

It was the kind of performance people have been praising Alderweireld through the roofs for.

Vertonghen for me is above Wimmer not only because of the understanding he has with Alderweireld.

Apart from a very frustrating second season where he looked a bit lost, thanks to us looking a bit lost as a club under the failing AVB and ***removed for risk of going off topic*** Sherwood.

Vertonghen was huge against Chelsea. Controlled Terry for all their set pieces. Wound up Costa to get him on a yellow, unfortunately got a yellow himself in the process - but then proceeded to play perfectly as a CB on a yellow card. Was brave on the ball and seemed to keep his cool fairly well when the going got tough towards the end.

It was the kind of performance people have been praising Alderweireld through the roofs for.

Understand where you are coming from, and don't disagree, still think Toby has an influence on him.

- King made players better next to him by organizing them
- Toby improves Jan, and probably not the best way to describe it but, as he makes Jan want to play, desire to be good (and maybe part of that isn't only down to Toby, its the team spirit, Poch, club results, etc.

Him and Alderweireld rank alongside King and Woodgate as some of the best defensive partnerships I have watched at the club

And thankfully they have already played way more games than those two managed together (and yes, I agree re comparison)

I think it is great that we have so many players that have links outside of the club/bonds even before they joined, think that it improves team spirit immensely and means that these guys know each other pretty well.

You watch City play with the feeling that none of these players even like each other.

i.e Belgium: Toby, Chadli, Moussa, Jan
Ajax: Eriksen, Toby, Jan
England: Kane, Rose, Dier, Ali, Walker, Mason
England Under 21s; etc.

I hope we buy more Belgians, products of the Ajax youth academy and potential England internationals.

I think it is great that we have so many players that have links outside of the club/bonds even before they joined, think that it improves team spirit immensely and means that these guys know each other pretty well.

You watch City play with the feeling that none of these players even like each other.

i.e Belgium: Toby, Chadli, Moussa, Jan
Ajax: Eriksen, Toby, Jan
England: Kane, Rose, Dier, Ali, Walker, Mason
England Under 21s; etc.

I hope we buy more Belgians, products of the Ajax youth academy and potential England internationals.

We seem quite keen on bringing in more Dembele's. Maybe links through shared distant ancestry is the new thing?

Completely over-rated.
Looks good with Alderweireld holding his hand (as does Wimmer.)
But when Alderweireld went to the right side in a back three today Vertonghen in the middle was back to his lost self.

We can really improve in this position during the summer.

came back well from his injury initially, dropped off with everyone else over the last month

wouldn't be at all surprised to see Wimmer ahead of him next season

Coasting ever since the title became unwinnable. Not just Vertonghen, all of them going to Euros or Copa America. No point in getting wrecked battling for meaningless achievement of second place over third. Say that last bit quietly around Levy, eh?

came back well from his injury initially, dropped off with everyone else over the last month

wouldn't be at all surprised to see Wimmer ahead of him next season

For some reason Vertonghen is a virtual undroppable. Get rid for fecks sake. Third season in a row I'm saying that though.

Whole back four is shaky as hell. As soon as a cross comes in or someone makes a run from midfield we collapse. Everyone standing behind their man.

I think Toby "forces" Jan to play well.

Toby seems more mate-y and passionate, they are Belgian team mates, probably know an enormous amount of people/past coaches etc in common and Toby seems the type to offer a clip around the ear to anyone he thinks isn't pulling their weight or is overly moody.

Anyone care to share the stats for our results this season for early Verts matches, Wimmer matches, late Verts matches?

Back