• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

I always felt we lacked a few goals from our defenders,especially when you see how other teams have defenders that chip in with a fair few amount of goals (Lescott,Kompany,Vidic,Terry,Vermaelen)

I guess with Sigurdsson arriving, we'll finally find out what the problem was, whether our supposedly good set-piece takers turned brick as soon as they came to Spurs, or if it was because our players were brick at attacking the ball as it came into the box.

Or if it's because we didn't practice them under Harry!

FINALLY !!!!! fudgein delighted. took longer than a man landing on the moon but good signing nevertheless.

Can't think of a better long term partner for Kaboul - cultured, quick, intelligent and left sided. Awesome.

BAE-Verts-Kaboul-Walker = a top notch back 4 for the next 4-5 years.

dont rate ekotto at all. he's improved but still crap at defending.

I guess with Sigurdsson arriving, we'll finally find out what the problem was, whether our supposedly good set-piece takers turned brick as soon as they came to Spurs, or if it was because our players were brick at attacking the ball as it came into the box.

Or if it's because we didn't practice them under Harry!

Our set pieces towards the end of last season were more dangerous. I think the ball in had improved which gave our players the chance to attack for once. I just think the ball in was brick - barely past the first man and if it was past the first man it went past the last man too.

I think there was evidence we started practicing them.

As for the direct free kicks etc - thats more to do with the players. Beckham, Lampard et al all practiced stayed behind and practiced - our players the likes of Bale, VDV etc all should be doin the same

Our set pieces towards the end of last season were more dangerous. I think the ball in had improved which gave our players the chance to attack for once. I just think the ball in was brick - barely past the first man and if it was past the first man it went past the last man too.

I think there was evidence we started practicing them.

As for the direct free kicks etc - thats more to do with the players. Beckham, Lampard et al all practiced stayed behind and practiced - our players the likes of Bale, VDV etc all should be doin the same

there was definitely a point towards the end of the season i saw a marked improvement in our set pieces - i can only guess but id imagine we started to practice them more than we had been - seemed to remember it being a big issue among the fans at the time, someone probably took note

there was definitely a point towards the end of the season i saw a marked improvement in our set pieces - i can only guess but id imagine we started to practice them more than we had been - seemed to remember it being a big issue among the fans at the time, someone probably took note

Seem to remember? Dude at one point I was suggesting we just give the ball back - they were that horrid and gross.

There was. Redknapp even talked about practicing set pieces at a press conference. Then we scored from a corner the next week...

Totally agree his experience rubbing off alone is worth him staying plus well need veteran guys to rotate into some of the cup matches etc. ..... One year left he has perfectos imo

Agree with both of you on this. Billy G is actually still performing at a very high level. He's top quality. Perfect for Kaboul/Vertonghen/Caulker especially to learn off.

Agree with both of you on this. Billy G is actually still performing at a very high level. He's top quality. Perfect for Kaboul/Vertonghen/Caulker especially to learn off.

I disagree, Kaboul been around some time, Bassong still there and Ledley in the back ground and Dawson back at some point, I think if we can afford to keep Gallas great but to be honest if we need to free up some of the wage bill to bring in an extra striker it would not be so "huge" to let him go.

I'm just really really happy right now. Not only have we got what looks like a great player but one who has made it clear since the beginning that he WANTS to play for our club!

Funny story. I was helping my 8yr old daughter with her homework and when it came on the radio and I shouted "come on!" she actually turned to me and said "are you going to go on glory glory now". Ha!

There was. Redknapp even talked about practicing set pieces at a press conference. Then we scored from a corner the next week...

I think that was when we played Bolton in the rearranged quarter final. I almost fell off my seat in shock when Nelsen powered the corner back across goal from whenst it came before it nestled in the top corner.

I'm just really really happy right now. Not only have we got what looks like a great player but one who has made it clear since the beginning that he WANTS to play for our club!

Funny story. I was helping my 8yr old daughter with her homework and when it came on the radio and I shouted "come on!" she actually turned to me and said "are you going to go on glory glory now". Ha!

Haha. :D

So, has Verts had his medical yet?

It looks as if Ajax had a strategy at corners which see's someone flick the ball on to the back post for Vert to put in the second ball. A lot of his goals from corners are similar and i would not be against adopting that approach for our corners.

It was sad seeing poor Ledley hobble up the field for a corner when you knew it was a pointless effort....

BTW, does anyone know how you pronounce his last name? Is it Ver-tone-en or Ver-tong-en? Or something else?

I was saying Ver-tone-en, until I heard John Cross say it the other way.

Last edited:
It was sad seeing poor Ledley hobble up the field for a corner when you knew it was a pointless effort....

BTW, does anyone know how you pronounce his last name? Is it Ver-tone-en or Ver-tong-en? Or something else?

I was saying Ver-tone-en, until I heard John Cross say it the other way.

I say it like that, but maybe more Ver-Ton-Gen, not that the placement of the G phonetically makes *that* much difference.

I think that was when we played Bolton in the rearranged quarter final. I almost fell off my seat in shock when Nelsen powered the corner back across goal from whenst it came before it nestled in the top corner.

Half the problem we have is that none of our players really attack the ball from corners. It's not something you can really coach either, players either do it naturally or they don't. Sometimes players are given different duties that may curb their abiltiy though. I remember there was a time when Kaboul really used to attack the ball from set pieces.

But the bottom line is the last two players we had that really attacked corners were Dean Richards and Gus Poyet!

We are delighted to announce that we have reached agreement with Ajax for the transfer of Jan Vertonghen, subject to a medical.

The 2011/12 campaign was the Belgium international's most successful season to date - being named Ajax captain at the start and going on to lead the Dutch side to their second straight league title.
The centre back's impressive performances did not go unnoticed as he was named Eredivisie Player of the Year as well as Ajax's Player of the Year in a season that saw him score 10 times in 37 appearances. In total, Jan made 220 appearances and scored 28 goals for Ajax since making his debut for them in 2006.

Thats a great goalscoring record for a centre half. Better than Parker's career goalscoring average iirc. A few goals from him from corners and free kicks is just what the doctor ordered. To be named player of the year by the supporters is a sure sign of their appreciation too.

Welcome to WHL Vert - please dont lose the habit!

Back