• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Niko and Charles were £5.5m each, so a net of £4m(initialy anyway) I make it.

Some reports claim more.

Whatever..........it doesn't matter. Still great business.

To put it another way, if the reports of Ade for £5m are true, we will have signed him, Gylfi and JV for a combined £20 million.

Which is what Liverpool paid to sign just jordan Henderson. Nice.

[video=youtube;RQjAd2d7mLg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQjAd2d7mLg[/video]

Some of the goals he score's are incredible for a CB.

The goals on 2:14 and 3:07 are remarkable.

His movement, speed and finishing with his feet for a CB are very much forward-esq.

i guess that

Sigurdsson is a replacement for Krancjar
Vertonghen is a replacement for King
Caulker is a replacement for Gallas
Naughton is a replacement for Corluka

not bad going there really, 4 players out - 4 younger replacements coming in (assuming King retires and Gallas is moved on) - guess we are losing some vital experience - which is why i hope players like VdV stick around

i guess that

not bad going there really, 4 players out - 4 younger replacements coming in (assuming King retires and Gallas is moved on) - guess we are losing some vital experience - which is why i hope players like VdV stick around

Would rather have Krunchie, King, Gallas and Corluka.

If we can shift some more players now (Gallas, Jenas, Bentley for starters) it will do wonders to our wage budget as well.

i guess that

Sig's a Rafa replacement IMO.

Unless AVB is planning to be a bit more adaptable in terms of how he sets the team up in his first season with us, he will be going 4-3-3 and I don't think Rafa fits into the top or the middle of it.

Added to that, he's at a good age where we can sell him, get some good money for him before his performances and value start to decline with age, and if we already have an effective replacement for him in Sig, then we will have done good business. Very Levy to do this IMO.

i guess that

We can only hope that the 4 replacements will be as good as the 4 that are leaving

Would rather have Krunchie, King, Gallas and Corluka.

Krancjar over Sigurdsson, really? - i haven't seen much of him but his stats back him up as an improvment

id rather have King at his peak but with the possibility of him being in and out the team over a defender who is hoped to become a long term replacement ? easy decision there

same scenario with Gallas do we stick with an older player on his way out or give experience to an exciting prospect ?

Corluka wasn't happy with being second choice and Walker is likely to be preferred again to him this season so Naughton is a much better player to have as back up IMO - especially after being one of Norwhich's stand out performers last season.

Also, I don't think Sig would have joined us to simply take a squad role akin to Krancjar, I expect that he expects to be playing a lot of the time, and I also expect we wouldn't be paying him more wages than Liverpool if it wasn't the plan to have him on the pitch more often than not as well.

Also, I don't think Sig would have joined us to simply take a squad role akin to Krancjar, I expect that he expects to be playing a lot of the time, and I also expect we wouldn't be paying him more wages than Liverpool if it wasn't the plan to have him on the pitch more often than not as well.

If VdV stays,Sig will be on the bench

Sig's a Rafa replacement IMO.

Unless AVB is planning to be a bit more adaptable in terms of how he sets the team up in his first season with us, he will be going 4-3-3 and I don't think Rafa fits into the top or the middle of it.

Added to that, he's at a good age where we can sell him, get some good money for him before his performances and value start to decline with age, and if we already have an effective replacement for him in Sig, then we will have done good business. Very Levy to do this IMO.

that all makes sense i guess but i just don't see it being the case tbh - one more year with Rafa imo, Sigurdsson hopefully proving to be capable of replacing him the following season in the starting line up

think we'll take the EL seriously this season meaning that players will be getting more time in the various competitions. VdV to be first choice but with his fitness levels Sigurdsson will be getting plenty of game time

i guess that

so really we havent improved the squad yet, and even if we buy Ade, he comes in for himself from last season, so agin no difference

we need to make 2 improvements to the first team, an upgrade on Lennon and a proper goalscorer

If VdV stays,Sig will be on the bench

I think it makes sense for all parties (in a business sense for Spurs, not that it would necessarily be 'good' for us to lose a player of his quality at all) that Rafa goes. If we get say £13m for him, I think that's a good deal. I've loved watching him, but I really rate Sig, I think Sig will allow AVB to play the system he wants (and I think it's so important to give the manager a squad that suits his preferred system so there are less awkward transitions) and I think Sig will prove to be a great replacement for Rafa.

So I think Rafa is gone. Educated guess, but that's my prediction.

so really we havent improved the squad yet, and even if we buy Ade, he comes in for himself from last season, so agin no difference

we need to make 2 improvements to the first team, an upgrade on Lennon and a proper goalscorer

all depends how you look at it i guess - for me Naughton will be a more motivated back up than Corluka was - therefore an improvement (also able to cover left back i hear) an ever present Vertonghen could be better for us over a season than having a sporadically fit King and Sigurdsson is a major improvement on Krancjar - if he continues how he did at Swansea. Caulker as a replacement for Gallas is the weakest of the lot but again he has come off the back of two outstanding seasons out on loan so potentially could be a good move

the biggest worry for me is the amount of changes we will have made by the time the season starts and i hope it doesn't mean we need too much time to settle everyone, but potentially a season of letting these players bed in together excites me as there above is 4 players with great potential

there isn't much wrong with our starting XI from last year - it's the squad/back up players which need the most work

Last edited:
i guess that

I'm still waiting for a replacement for Crouch...

all depends how you look at it i guess - for me Naughton will be a more motivated back up than Corluka was - therefore an improvement (also able to cover left back i hear) an ever present Vertonghen could be better for us over a season than having a sporadically fit King and Sigurdsson is a major improvement on Krancjar - if he continues how he did at Swansea. Caulker as a replacement for Gallas is the weakest of the lot but again he has come off the back of two outstanding seasons out on loan so potentially could be a good move

the biggest worry for me is the amount of changes we will have made by the time the season starts and i hope it doesn't mean we need too much time to settle everyone, but potentially a season of letting these players bed in together excites me as there above is 4 players with great potential

there isn't much wrong with our starting XI from last year - it's the squad/back up players which need the most work

Let's be honest - Naughton is nowhere near Corluka's quality,a fit King is one of the best defenders in the world,Caulker is also nowhere near Gallas and Kranjcar scored brickloads of crucial goals for us and he played mostly out of position and there is still a big question mark over Siggy,he might do great here,but he might aswell flop.

We can be lucky if we get out of them,what we got out of the bunch that left.

Ade is a replacement for Crouch
Moutinho is a replacement for Modric
?Leandro? is a replacement for Defoe
Lloris is a replacement for Friedel
Butland is a replacement for Cudicini
Lascelles is a replacement for Bassong
Fryers is a replacement for Rose

Bentley, Jenas, Gio, Pienaar and Gomes don't need replacing.

And we'll be in very good shape for next season and beyond.

Back