• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18761297

I never, ever, read comments on websites like this - but for some reason browsed these and found a doozy

[h=4]20.[/h] lex_dexter
19 MINUTES AGOA poor siging. Tottenham are in serious trouble this coming season - recruiting failures like Villas Boas and Vertonghen - that no top team would touch places them firmly in the second tier. There is no chance of top four for tottenham this year. Incredibly Harry Redknapp was probably their greatest ever chance of finally winning something - but they failed as they always do.

[h=4]18.[/h] Maxtor
21 MINUTES AGOWith the imminent loss of modric to real madrid and VDV on the way out, Spurs trying hard to get CL spot. But this players will need time to adjust.
Spurs will be lucky to end up in europe spot. Maxtor prediction.

[h=4]6.[/h] Philip Allen
2 HOURS AGOA reason why RVP decided to leave Arsenal? Vertonghen is exactly the sort of defender/defensive midfielder Arsenal need to win the scrappy, combative games which they've tended not to win in recent years. Wenger's failure to sign people like Vertoghen is why Arsenal won't ever challenge seriously.

i guess that

Sigurdsson is a replacement for Krancjar
Vertonghen is a replacement for King
Caulker is a replacement for Gallas
Naughton is a replacement for Corluka

not bad going there really, 4 players out - 4 younger replacements coming in (assuming King retires and Gallas is moved on) - guess we are losing some vital experience - which is why i hope players like VdV stick around

Letting Gallas go would be a HUGE mistake imo.

Let's be honest - Naughton is nowhere near Corluka's quality,a fit King is one of the best defenders in the world,Caulker is also nowhere near Gallas and Kranjcar scored brickloads of crucial goals for us and he played mostly out of position and there is still a big question mark over Siggy,he might do great here,but he might aswell flop.

We can be lucky if we get out of them,what we got out of the bunch that left.

Naughton - had a good season at Norwich. Better suited to AVB's high line than Charlie.

Vertonghen - yes, when fit, Ledley one of the best defenders in the world. But he isn't fit. And won't ever be again. By the end of last season, he was a liability - a pale shadow of his former self. It's all caught up with him. His pace has gone. Sad, but it's time for him to call it a day. So, quite apart from his obvious qualities, JV will be a big upgrade on last season's Ledley.

Caulker - good season with Swansea. Is consequently now comfortable with the kind of possession game that AVB will require. Willie G is excellent but now very injury prone.

Sigurdsson - his records suggest that he is a far surer bet to score goals than Crunchie (where do you get the notion that he scored "brickloads of crucial goals" for us?). Gylfi is more mobile than Crunchie and, according to reports, very hard working (not a characteristic for which Crunchie is known) - which will fit in well with AVB's pressing game.

As with King I think it ultimately comes down to reliability. Gallas barely featured last season, if it looks like being the same next season then letting him go probably wouldnt be a huge mistake.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18761297

I never, ever, read comments on websites like this - but for some reason browsed these and found a doozy

[h=4]20.[/h] lex_dexter
19 MINUTES AGOA poor siging. Tottenham are in serious trouble this coming season - recruiting failures like Villas Boas and Vertonghen - that no top team would touch places them firmly in the second tier. There is no chance of top four for tottenham this year. Incredibly Harry Redknapp was probably their greatest ever chance of finally winning something - but they failed as they always do.

[h=4]18.[/h] Maxtor
21 MINUTES AGOWith the imminent loss of modric to real madrid and VDV on the way out, Spurs trying hard to get CL spot. But this players will need time to adjust.
Spurs will be lucky to end up in europe spot. Maxtor prediction.

[h=4]6.[/h] Philip Allen
2 HOURS AGOA reason why RVP decided to leave Arsenal? Vertonghen is exactly the sort of defender/defensive midfielder Arsenal need to win the scrappy, combative games which they've tended not to win in recent years. Wenger's failure to sign people like Vertoghen is why Arsenal won't ever challenge seriously.

The first comment is a huge pile of bullcrap,but the other 2 are pretty accurate to be fair.
If we lose Modric and VdV we will lose our 2 most creative players by FAR and in King we would lose our best defender.Yes,we have brought new signings,but they will still need to prove themselves

The first comment is a huge pile of bullcrap,but the other 2 are pretty accurate to be fair.
If we lose Modric and VdV we will lose our 2 most creative players by FAR and in King we would lose our best defender.Yes,we have brought new signings,but they will still need to prove themselves

1. We haven't lost either of VDV or Modric yet. If we do, we have yet to see who will replace them.

2. King was nothing like our best central defender last season. In fact, he was probably our worst.

I do agree though that, with all the new players and a completely new system to learn, results and performances could be inconsistent for the first half of the season.

Naughton - had a good season at Norwich. Better suited to AVB's high line than Charlie.

Vertonghen - yes, when fit, Ledley one of the best defenders in the world. But he isn't fit. And won't ever be again. By the end of last season, he was a liability - a pale shadow of his former self. It's all caught up with him. His pace has gone. Sad, but it's time for him to call it a day. So, quite apart from his obvious qualities, JV will be a big upgrade on last season's Ledley.

Caulker - good season with Swansea. Is consequently now comfortable with the kind of possession game that AVB will require. Willie G is excellent but now very injury prone.

Sigurdsson - his records suggest that he is a far surer bet to score goals than Crunchie (where do you get the notion that he scored "brickloads of crucial goals" for us?). Gylfi is more mobile than Crunchie and, according to reports, very hard working (not a characteristic for which Crunchie is known) - which will fit in well with AVB's pressing game.

Sigurdsson,Caulker and Naughton are all inexpirienced players that have never played a big match for either club or country.They all need to prove themselves at this club,because you can't compare having a solid season for the likes of Swansea and Norwich with competing for CL at Tottenham.

Corluka,King,Gallas and Kranjcar have all helped us secure our best ever finishes in GHod knows how many years,so there is a HUGE task in front of the new bunch of players

Sigurdsson,Caulker and Naughton are all inexpirienced players that have never played a big match for either club or country.They all need to prove themselves at this club,because you can't compare having a solid season for the likes of Swansea and Norwich with competing for CL at Tottenham.

Corluka,King,Gallas and Kranjcar have all helped us secure our best ever finishes in GHod knows how many years,so there is a HUGE task in front of the new bunch of players

No, you can't. It's much harder to have a solid season at Norwich and Swansea because the players around you aren't as good.

Letting Gallas go would be a HUGE mistake imo.

i agree, i later said that i think that Caulker in for Gallas is the weakest of the 4 listed, upon further reflection i think maybe one of King/Gallas will stay and Caulker would be more of a direct replacement for Bassong

And competition for a starting place,media pressure,club pressure...
All those reasons listed confirm that it's much easier to look good in a smaller team

They don't confirm anything of the sort. They confirm that your opinion is that it is easier to play in the smaller teams.

I would like to present the example of Manchester United. They have had some extremely average players at times, who have won lots and lots of trophies because the players around them have been world class.

They don't confirm anything of the sort. They confirm that your opinion is that it is easier to play in the smaller teams.

I would like to present the example of Manchester United. They have had some extremely average players at times, who have won lots and lots of trophies because the players around them have been world class.

It's a good point.

Amazing how many players leave United and suddenly look very average in average teams.

Average players are gonna look average in any side of the world.Did players like Park and O'shea ever look like true quality footballers?No,they didnt.Did they make a fantastic United career?They sure did!

Did Berbatov look like a fantastic player?Yep,he looked absolutely amazing here.His united career? not so much

Average players are gonna look average in any side of the world.Did players like Park and O'shea ever look like true quality footballers?No,they didnt.Did they make a fantastic United career?They sure did!

Did Berbatov look like a fantastic player?Yep,he looked absolutely amazing here.His united career? not so much

Yeah, because berbatov didn't fit into their system. He lacked the work rate.

I had forgotten where we were though, we're getting a little off topic...

Welcome Vertonghen!

Yeah, because berbatov didn't fit into their system. He lacked the work rate.

I had forgotten where we were though, we're getting a little off topic...

Welcome Vertonghen!

Hehe agreed,we really went a bit off topic.

Vertonghen is definately our best signing this year,has the expirience of playing big CL games and looks like a real threat going forward.
I always felt we lacked a few goals from our defenders,especially when you see how other teams have defenders that chip in with a fair few amount of goals (Lescott,Kompany,Vidic,Terry,Vermaelen)

Back