• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Re: Super Jan Vertonghen Official

Without sales there won't be any new arrivals. Simple maths.

For Levy to spend money out of his own pockets he'd first have to take them out of the club only to put them back in.

I think it means that we're going to have to cash in on the likes of Siggy, Rose, Lennon and Dembele to balance up the squad a bit.

I think it means that we're going to have to cash in on the likes of Siggy, Rose, Lennon and Dembele to balance up the squad a bit.

Good thing Harry's back in the league then.

ps. I hope we keep the Moose.

Aren't the latest rumors stating that Rose is signing a new deal?

I'd want to see Dembele in a team set up to attack with good movement infront of him. I think he'd thrive in that environment.

People have the idea that he's a ball hogger who doesn't release it, but under AVB he'd win the ball, beat a man, look up and there were ZERO passing options, no movement, so he'd keep hold of the ball, try and beat another man, or just knock a simple ball sideways. What else was he supposed to do? Just hoof and hope? We haven't had any good movement off the ball in the team since Redknapp's team.

I'd want to see Dembele in a team set up to attack with good movement infront of him. I think he'd thrive in that environment.

People have the idea that he's a ball hogger who doesn't release it, but under AVB he'd win the ball, beat a man, look up and there were ZERO passing options, no movement, so he'd keep hold of the ball, try and beat another man, or just knock a simple ball sideways. What else was he supposed to do? Just hoof and hope? We haven't had any good movement off the ball in the team since Redknapp's team.

They are some fair points that you raise :-k

I haven't seen anything to suggest he has a more than average passing ability - have been plenty frustrated with him in the past missing players making runs, maybe it's more a 'vision' thing than a passing thing actually - i just don't think he's aware of what's going on around him ... Could change i guess if Pocchetino drills the team in to certain movements/positions meaning that he should have a better idea of who will be where

The complaints aimed at him from here are very similar to what was stated by Fulham fans when we signed him iirc. Disagree about zero passing options all the time. If that's the case then the right thing to do is to pass it quickly to try to switch play and create space, not to take 2-3 more touches.

And by the way, I also disagree about your "win the ball, beat a man" etc. Remember hearing about the Barcelona/Spain philosophy on this. Usually the person in the worst position to judge what the right passing option is is the man that just won the ball, because he's just been in a duel. Very often the best choice after winning the ball is the easy pass to a nearby teammate.

If Poch can make Dembele a consistently effective passer we'll have a fantastic player on our hands. Hope he can, not getting my hopes up just yet.

I find it annoying how so many of our fans have forgiven Vertonghen already just cos it looks like he may stay now. Short memories.. was only two months ago he was whoring himself out to all of the top clubs in the Champions League trying to engineer a move and treating the club with disrespect. His opinion of himself is higher than most people's.

Call me old school but I'd rather a player was fully committed here and he clearly isnt.

I find it annoying how so many of our fans have forgiven Vertonghen already just cos it looks like he may stay now. Short memories.. was only two months ago he was whoring himself out to all of the top clubs in the Champions League trying to engineer a move and treating the club with disrespect. His opinion of himself is higher than most people's.

Source?

Call me old school but I'd rather a player was fully committed here and he clearly isnt.

Everyone prefers that.

But in the world we live in where we can't get 25 such players that are also good enough footballers to get us where we want to go I accept that players will have personal ambitions that will mean that if they reach their potential they might want to move to bigger clubs. I accept that commitment is not enough, players must also have the ability necessary, and we can't always be picky. In fact, of the realistic options available to us I prefer players with a lot of personal ambition.

Considering his turnaround it seems likely that his mood and lack of commitment wasn't about the club as such, but rather about some of the employees at the club. Otherwise, what's changed in these months?

Perhaps what has changed is that Super Jan has realised that his performances this year haven't been good enough for him to get CL football.

If he gets CL football in 15/16 it'll either be because Spurs gets there one way or another, or because he stands out in the context of another failed assault next season and wins a move elsewhere.

Perhaps what has changed is that Super Jan has realised that his performances this year haven't been good enough for him to get CL football.

If he gets CL football in 15/16 it'll either be because Spurs gets there one way or another, or because he stands out in the context of another failed assault next season and wins a move elsewhere.

Or perhaps 2 or 3 months ago if he was whoring himself out he still thought Deadwood had a chance of being at the helm this season coming and Vertonghen knew the grass was greener elsewhere. His tone has been much more positive since we got rid of Temporary tim.

Disagree with this totally. There were multiple occasions in pretty much every game he played with Bale in the team where Bale made a good run in behind the full-back only to stop and through his arms in the air in frustration that Dembele has turned the other direction for the 15th time. In pretty much every game he plays for us I scream at him at some point to pass.

As a player he has one major weakness in that he doesn't know when to release the ball. Unfortunately a weakness such as this is the difference between a bog standard average player and an absolutely fantastic one.

Disagree with this totally. There were multiple occasions in pretty much every game he played with Bale in the team where Bale made a good run in behind the full-back only to stop and through his arms in the air in frustration that Dembele has turned the other direction for the 15th time. In pretty much every game he plays for us I scream at him at some point to pass.

As a player he has one major weakness in that he doesn't know when to release the ball. Unfortunately a weakness such as this is the difference between a bog standard average player and an absolutely fantastic one.

Tbf, I certainly remember this in the games against Lyon in the EL, especially the away leg.

However at Old Trafford in Sept 2012 Dembele did show that he CAN do it if coached/in the mood etc

Tbf, I certainly remember this in the games against Lyon in the EL, especially the away leg.

However at Old Trafford in Sept 2012 Dembele did show that he CAN do it if coached/in the mood etc

He was brilliant that day, although even then I still don't remember him playing to many clever through balls. I've no doubt that on his day he can be a great player, I just don't think he has it in him to be the creative type because as I said above, he doesn't know when and when not to release the ball. I do think he could be coached into a great goalscoring midfielder though.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/situation-at-tottenham-must-be-tough-on-jan-vertonghen--harry-redknapp-9474959.html

How kind of him to care…if only shown as much attentiveness to the needs our players when he actually worked here back in 2012...

Ah, time has tempered my anger at his actions during those fateful last few months. He ****ed us up during the one period we really had a shot at establishing ourselves, and that is definitely down to his selfishness and short-sighted hankering after the England job. And yes, he did embarass Levy, the club and himself with that crass U-turn the day after the season ended, royally demanding a new contract to 'assure the players' after guffawing about how those same players 'don't really care who's in charge' when we were in a tailspin.

But honestly? He was, and remains, a quintessential little Englander, and getting the job would undoubtedly have been a dream for him that surpassed any other. And there he was, the closest he had or would ever come to the post, with only the hindrance of a pesky club job between him and the England blazer. I'm saying this through metaphorically gritted teeth, but I don't completely blame him for his actions that year. And though he ****ed up our one shot at establishing ourselves in the limelight, he also got us into the position where we had that shot in the first place.

May fortune favor you, Harry Redknapp. Some part of me will never forgive you for 2012, one of the very worst depressions of my Spurs-supporting career, up there with 05-06 (Lasagnagate) and 03-04 (obvious reasons). But in the end, the other part of me is glad that at the very least, you took us into the land of Zadok the Priest for a brief, magical time.

Back