• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Re: Super Jan Vertonghen Official

To be fair he did the same for us. The Old Trafford game, he's always looked very handy going forward. But too big against fast tricky wingers if he's isolated at LB. There is no doubt he can play LB, but needs a winger or midfielder to provide defensive support, he's not the fastest from a standing start.

He just looks awkward at left back......so would Kompany if he was forced to play right back. Its just not right

He just looks awkward at left back......so would Kompany if he was forced to play right back. Its just not right

But he can be very effective getting forward from LB. Really hard to defend against. Did it for us, and at the WC.

But he can be very effective getting forward from LB. Really hard to defend against. Did it for us, and at the WC.
Its very rare though. The odd good cross from the wing is just not enough. I say play him at centre half and that's it. He is 27, he needs to make one position his own and work on being good in it.

But left back is first and foremost a defender

Obviously you're not saying Verts is not a defender! More than he's not as good defensively when isolated at LB. But isn't that exactly the same if isolated at CB? Its a formation thing rather than anything else. Where are the clips of Vertonghen ruining united from LB, or attacking the worlds elite at the WC. His prowess going forward is not isolated or rare.

Its very rare though. The odd good cross from the wing is just not enough. I say play him at centre half and that's it. He is 27, he needs to make one position his own and work on being good in it.

We seem to accept that as standard from our current wingers and full backs. None of them do more than the very rare one good cross a game.

Best attacking full back at the club since Ekotto was shipped out, for me at least.

I agree that he struggles defensively and he's obviously not fully motivated to play as a left back, and his potential is greater as a centre back and plenty of his ball playing skill is still useful in that position.

Should play centre back every game next season unless there's a complete and utter left back injury crisis. In short there should be (at least) two left backs at the club that are ahead of Vertonghen for that left back position.

To be fair he did the same for us. The Old Trafford game, he's always looked very handy going forward. But too big against fast tricky wingers if he's isolated at LB. There is no doubt he can play LB, but needs a winger or midfielder to provide defensive support, he's not the fastest from a standing start.

I'm glad you said this because I don't like people saying Vertonghen is slow full stop, he really isn't. As you said, from a stand start or turn he's not the quickest(but I still wouldn't say slow) but after that he's fairly quick. As a full back obviously you need that stop-start pace and that's generally why most full backs are smaller, even then I think if Jan has his gives a **** face on he's probably still better than 95% of real full backs anyway as he is a supremely talented player. Just a shame about his attitude sometimes.

Best attacking full back at the club since Ekotto was shipped out, for me at least.

I agree that he struggles defensively and he's obviously not fully motivated to play as a left back, and his potential is greater as a centre back and plenty of his ball playing skill is still useful in that position.

Should play centre back every game next season unless there's a complete and utter left back injury crisis. In short there should be (at least) two left backs at the club that are ahead of Vertonghen for that left back position.

He certainly wasnt for us, but slightly annoyingly, he looked to be reveling in the LB role for Belgium, and for me, did very well

He looked to be in trouble a couple of times against real pace, but I think Belgium defended quite deep at times which helped him

The difference is, he knows going into every Belgium squad that he'll be playing left back. And he's Belgian, he'd play in goal if asked. For us, he was signed because he was promised he'd be a central defender. He's also not from Tottenham and doesn't know who Tim Sherwood is.

The difference is, he knows going into every Belgium squad that he'll be playing left back. And he's Belgian, he'd play in goal if asked. For us, he was signed because he was promised he'd be a central defender. He's also not from Tottenham and doesn't know who Tim Sherwood is.

Doubt Tim Sherwood has anything to do with this seeing as his agent says he still might leave.

I say **** him, if he wants to go good luck to him finding a club after last season. Clearly doesn't give a toss about us and I couldn't give a toss about him. I still think he's a very good deffender but he's hardly a Gareth Bale (in the sense of being world class or there abouts). There's plenty of Vertonghens out there. If he was a Maldini or a King I'd be devestated but we have plenty of scope to find someone as good as him.

Last edited:

Vertonghen in interview with Belgian Radio 1:

"It's obvious I want to stay at Tottenham. I still had a 4 year contract so the fact that they've offered me a 5 year contract is a big vote of confidence"

On his ankle injury "I want to be cautious with it, cause a season like last season where I went from one injury to the next, is something I definitely want to avoid."

"At the end of the summer break you always look forward to link up with the lads again and we have a new manager so yes, I'm looking forward to return to work at Spurs."

"We are in talks about a new contract. We both want to come to an agreement."

"If I didn't want to extend I wouldn't have opened talks. I don't want to betray the club's trust in me."

Back