• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Re: Super Jan Vertonghen Official

Ah, time has tempered my anger at his actions during those fateful last few months. He ****ed us up during the one period we really had a shot at establishing ourselves, and that is definitely down to his selfishness and short-sighted hankering after the England job. And yes, he did embarass Levy, the club and himself with that crass U-turn the day after the season ended, royally demanding a new contract to 'assure the players' after guffawing about how those same players 'don't really care who's in charge' when we were in a tailspin.

But honestly? He was, and remains, a quintessential little Englander, and getting the job would undoubtedly have been a dream for him that surpassed any other. And there he was, the closest he had or would ever come to the post, with only the hindrance of a pesky club job between him and the England blazer. I'm saying this through metaphorically gritted teeth, but I don't completely blame him for his actions that year. And though he ****ed up our one shot at establishing ourselves in the limelight, he also got us into the position where we had that shot in the first place.

May fortune favor you, Harry Redknapp. Some part of me will never forgive you for 2012, one of the very worst depressions of my Spurs-supporting career, up there with 05-06 (Lasagnagate) and 03-04 (obvious reasons). But in the end, the other part of me is glad that at the very least, you took us into the land of Zadok the Priest for a brief, magical time.

Whilst I absolutely see everything you're saying mate, don't you wonder why on earth he still cannot refrain from comment about us whenever given even half a chance to say something? And passing comment on how he thinks Jan Vertonghen 'might' be feeling? Look, good luck to him and all that, I just wish he would STFU about us.

Whilst I absolutely see everything you're saying mate, don't you wonder why on earth he still cannot refrain from comment about us whenever given even half a chance to say something? And passing comment on how he thinks Jan Vertonghen 'might' be feeling? Look, good luck to him and all that, I just wish he would STFU about us.

Say for instance a fella is having second thoughts about getting married but ends up getting jilted at the altar. He's going to harbour resentment about it. He's going to be checking his ex's facebook to see what her new boyfriend looks like, and passing snide comments, all the while he's dating a munter that everybody can tell he doesn't want. It was his wandering eyes that cost him his job at Spurs in my opinion. His comments are probably a manifestation of his 'what if..' hindsight fantasies.

It was said at a betting website launch - he's got to say something newsworthy to promote the brand.

Ah, time has tempered my anger at his actions during those fateful last few months. He ****ed us up during the one period we really had a shot at establishing ourselves, and that is definitely down to his selfishness and short-sighted hankering after the England job. And yes, he did embarass Levy, the club and himself with that crass U-turn the day after the season ended, royally demanding a new contract to 'assure the players' after guffawing about how those same players 'don't really care who's in charge' when we were in a tailspin.

But honestly? He was, and remains, a quintessential little Englander, and getting the job would undoubtedly have been a dream for him that surpassed any other. And there he was, the closest he had or would ever come to the post, with only the hindrance of a pesky club job between him and the England blazer. I'm saying this through metaphorically gritted teeth, but I don't completely blame him for his actions that year. And though he ****ed up our one shot at establishing ourselves in the limelight, he also got us into the position where we had that shot in the first place.

May fortune favor you, Harry Redknapp. Some part of me will never forgive you for 2012, one of the very worst depressions of my Spurs-supporting career, up there with 05-06 (Lasagnagate) and 03-04 (obvious reasons). But in the end, the other part of me is glad that at the very least, you took us into the land of Zadok the Priest for a brief, magical time.

=D>

I'm probably in a minority of one here but I just don't buy into the line that it was ALL down to Harry taking his eye off the ball when the England chance came along that did for us that Spring.

Sure it didn't help but neither did the incredible media hype surrounding it, that too must have affected the players. Whichever way Harry had played the media it would have made no difference, they were a pack of pitbulls getting their teeth into the one very juicy bone. For me it was also about key players either getting injured (Dawson, Kaboul, Ekotto) or losing form (Parker, King) at a critical stage allied to the knock-out blow to our morale when City snatched victory from us at the Etihad in January after Defoe had failed from close range then King conceded a penalty to a certain Italian who should by then not even have been on the pitch.

That defeat and the way it came about - several weeks before the England job speculation broke - was a massive turning point because suddenly the biggest prize looked beyond us. Given all that was going on at the time only a Ferguson or a Mourinho would have been capable of holding things together and Harry has frankly never been in their class.

I am just amazed HR remained as focused as he did with the threat of spending a spell in the pokey hanging over him.

=D>

I'm probably in a minority of one here but I just don't buy into the line that it was ALL down to Harry taking his eye off the ball when the England chance came along that did for us that Spring.

Sure it didn't help but neither did the incredible media hype surrounding it, that too must have affected the players. Whichever way Harry had played the media it would have made no difference, they were a pack of pitbulls getting their teeth into the one very juicy bone. For me it was also about key players either getting injured (Dawson, Kaboul, Ekotto) or losing form (Parker, King) at a critical stage allied to the knock-out blow to our morale when City snatched victory from us at the Etihad in January after Defoe had failed from close range then King conceded a penalty to a certain Italian who should by then not even have been on the pitch.

That defeat and the way it came about - several weeks before the England job speculation broke - was a massive turning point because suddenly the biggest prize looked beyond us. Given all that was going on at the time only a Ferguson or a Mourinho would have been capable of holding things together and Harry has frankly never been in their class.

I agree with you, I still see little wrong with how Harry conducted himself. The poor end to that season had far more to do with Levy's refusal to release the funds Harry needed in January. Instead we were running on empty come March.
If there was any decrease in Harry's focus it was caused by Levy's lack of support. Harry knew what it would take to keep us in the top four long term but got mugged off by Levy.
Harry will always give a straight answer to a straight question, that spring there were lots of questions about the England job, big deal. Just because the media's agenda was on England rather than Spurs that does not mean Harry's was as well.
It's not like we finished 5th or 6th, only Chelsea's fluke CL win denied Harry of a second CL qualification despite a 4th place finish. We might not get that close again in the next decade.

My fault. Sorry fellow admin. I couldn't help myself…it was just too absurd not to mention, but I should know better...

I agree with you, I still see little wrong with how Harry conducted himself. The poor end to that season had far more to do with Levy's refusal to release the funds Harry needed in January. Instead we were running on empty come March.
If there was any decrease in Harry's focus it was caused by Levy's lack of support. Harry knew what it would take to keep us in the top four long term but got mugged off by Levy.
Harry will always give a straight answer to a straight question, that spring there were lots of questions about the England job, big deal. Just because the media's agenda was on England rather than Spurs that does not mean Harry's was as well.
It's not like we finished 5th or 6th, only Chelsea's fluke CL win denied Harry of a second CL qualification despite a 4th place finish. We might not get that close again in the next decade.

A) The squad was more than good enough without reinforcements to maintain a 10 point lead over Arsenal. There were loads of players that Redknapp under used like Pienaar. We had a big squad expensively assembled of players wanted by Redknapp over 3 previous seasons there were no excuses. If the squad wasn't good enough it certainly wasn't Levy's fault.

B) How do you know Levy refused to back him? You're making an assumption. Redknapp might have declined an offer of assistance like Sherwood admitted doing this January.

Our run in was hard. Theirs was a lot easier and they went on a ridiculous run of form. Harry wanted samba and a striker whom I can't remember his name he got neilson and saha, that pretty much proves or least strongly suggests that he wanted to strengthen and was forced to on the cheap.

Yea that could have been it actually, I know Harry was mentioning tevez one jan window though.

Wasn't the striker tevez? I mean seriously? Why not ask for messi while you're at it!

But wasn't that at the time that Tevez has completely fallen out with Mancini? A loan deal probably could've been done at that time and suited both Emirates Marketing Project and ourselves. Sure - it would've been costly, but I'm sure it would've more than paid for itself if we'd hung on to third place.

Back