• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

From being one of the most highly rated young players in world football to going on loan to Hull City six months later.

Only at Tottenham.

well we did the same to dos Santos. He was highly rated, yet we sent him on loan to Leicester. :lol:

From being one of the most highly rated young players in world football to going on loan to Hull City six months later.

Only at Tottenham.

Didn't say we should loan him but if we do then it should be in the premiership only.

Plus not only here - Chelsea do it every season.

Chelsea don't do it to record signings though. They do it to promising talent that they will look to give game time too in trade for a lot more money then they spent on them.

Loan him out abroad he will turn in to Aquilani. We can't let that happen.

I don't see why we would ever loan him out abroad. His issue is settling in England and adapting to the PL. Sending him back overseas wont exactly help either of those issues

Am i thinking too much that i am not sure Sherwood would ever realize (i certainly hope he would) Lamela's best position is behind the striker / no.10 rather than playing wide?

Am i thinking too much that i am not sure Sherwood would ever realize (i certainly hope he would) Lamela's best position is behind the striker / no.10 rather than playing wide?

well he's seemed to realise that Eriksen playing on the left would cause problems for opposition.

I don't really think it's conceivable you'd have a £30m player on your books and wouldn't fully investigate his history and abilities.

It's well known that Lamela played No. 10 in Argentina before going to Roma. Also, he was called the Heir to Totti at Roma, suggesting they thought he'd move back inside over time and that No. 10 was his natural ultimate position. I don't know why or how Sherwood, Ramsey, Les and Freund could all miss all that.

I also suspect that there is an understanding between Lamela's dad (his agent/career manager) and Levy that Lamela would be developed in his preferred position at Spurs. It would seem a bit mad to place your son, who you want to be Argentina's next great No. 10, with a club who see him purely as a winger. Under a DoF system, I presume Levy would be in a position to make such a guarantee - coaches would have to work within that strategic club plan for an important asset.

Sherwood is too thick to think of this, although Baldini tried to call him about it but had no credit left on his phone.

Seeing it all from block 29.

I don't really think it's conceivable you'd have a £30m player on your books and wouldn't fully investigate his history and abilities.

It's well known that Lamela played No. 10 in Argentina before going to Roma. Also, he was called the Heir to Totti at Roma, suggesting they thought he'd move back inside over time and that No. 10 was his natural ultimate position. I don't know why or how Sherwood, Ramsey, Les and Freund could all miss all that.

I also suspect that there is an understanding between Lamela's dad (his agent/career manager) and Levy that Lamela would be developed in his preferred position at Spurs. It would seem a bit mad to place your son, who you want to be Argentina's next great No. 10, with a club who see him purely as a winger. Under a DoF system, I presume Levy would be in a position to make such a guarantee - coaches would have to work within that strategic club plan for an important asset.

Hmm....in lieu of my original plan for him, then (which was to play him out on the right in an 'Eriksen' role while playing Townsend as the traditional winger on the left), perhaps we would be better served going with a narrow midfield diamond when it comes to integrating Lamela. Sandro/Capoue at the base of the diamond holding in front of the two centre-backs, Dembele and Paulinho as the alternately holding/advancing central midfielders, and Lamela as the No.10 in behind Soldado and Ade, with Rose and Walker providing width down the flanks.

It won't happen, of course (4-4-2 forever!) but it's worth considering, imo.

Chelsea don't do it to record signings though. They do it to promising talent that they will look to give game time too in trade for a lot more money then they spent on them.

Maybe not record signings but they did it to Lukaku who was about £20m. Bet they wish they had him now.

If Chelsea had Lamela on their books straight out of Argentina then I'd imagine he would have spent last season in Belgium and this season in the EPL on a season long loan.

I don't see why we would ever loan him out abroad. His issue is settling in England and adapting to the PL. Sending him back overseas wont exactly help either of those issues

Yeah, to be fair it probably isn't in the club's thinking at all. Bit of a straw man argument I was getting involved in.

Gazzetta dello Sport claim Lamela's agent landed in Italy for talks with Inter Milan regarding a loan deal for the Spurs forward.

The whole thing is an absolute joke. We all just want to see him bloody well play. If he goes out on loan this really is the most pathetic transfer dealing in the history of the club, possibly in the premier league era. Sign a player for 30 million, don't play him, and then loan him out 6 months later.

Just the possibility of this being true gets me absolutely seething.

Meh, not too worried at this point.

Media speculation based on nothing is bound to come up in the transfer window and this could easily be part of it.

The whole thing is an absolute joke. We all just want to see him bloody well play. If he goes out on loan this really is the most pathetic transfer dealing in the history of the club, possibly in the premier league era. Sign a player for 30 million, don't play him, and then loan him out 6 months later.

100% this! Just freaking play the boy!!!

Incredible if true. And only at Spurs.

I don't think Levy would sign off on this rumoured deal, for precisely the reasons you've just set out: it makes him look foolish, incompetent and quite possibly utterly incapable should he let a 21-year old prodigy he paid 30 million pounds for (30 million pounds!) leave after five months sitting on the bench under two managers both reluctant to play him properly.

If anything, I suspect Levy's ego will force itself on Sherwood and he'll receive a curt missive telling him to play Lamela more soon.

Lukaka wasn't exactly cheap. The loan last year saw him come on leaps and bounds, though this years loan is a tad odd. If 6 months at another premiership club can get him up to speed and confident for next season then it may be what's required to get the best out of him as sitting on our bench won't prepare him.

Back