• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

Bale's always had a very handy right foot and pace as well.

The reality is that Lamela is not going to be starting many games this season, unless we get lots of injuries. I don't think Sherwood rates him. A loan is probably the best option.

He shouldn't get special treatment because he's Argentinian, cost £30 million and is a bit of a pretty boy.

No he hasn't. He worked on it. And before Bale became the player he is he was being refused by the likes of Nottingham Forrest and Brum. Give Lamela a chance to see what he can do and how he can develop.

Bale's always had a very handy right foot and pace as well.

The reality is that Lamela is not going to be starting many games this season, unless we get lots of injuries. I don't think Sherwood rates him. A loan is probably the best option.

He shouldn't get special treatment because he's Argentinian, cost £30 million and is a bit of a pretty boy.

Bale hasn't always had a handy right foot at all, even now he's almost all left foot when shooting. So you've gone from saying sell him to loaning him already? Anyway seeing Sherwood's quotes I don't think he's going anywhere. He just wants to learn more about him which is fair enough, there's no rush to put him in when the team has been successful of late. There's plenty of games to come, he'll get plenty of game time....

I don't think the timing was right for Lamela's introduction since Tim took over and especially not against Utd.

I can see him been given a run out as a number 10 maybe in one of the upcoming league matches. He seems to be getting stuck in but to lessen his defensive responsibilities might let him focus a little more on his decision making from an attacking perspective. He obviously has the skillz but looks like he is not playing naturally at the moment. And by that I mean he is trying to force his football a little in an attempt to impress in Bentleyesque fashion. He'll come good in time.

When Postiga was here you could see the kid had talent but England just didn't seem to fit for him. I hoped it would all come good but deep down i didn't believe it.

With Lamela its the opposite, the kid just has "something". Even when he ****s up or gets caught in possession that "something" is still there, he just seems to operate on a different level to everyone else.

Once he tunes into the premier league frequency i think he's going to be ridiculous, Hoddle/Bale take-your-breath-away ridiculous.

My personal feelings towards Sherwood will hinge on how he handles Lamela. The kid is Tottenham.

When Postiga was here you could see the kid had talent but England just didn't seem to fit for him. I hoped it would all come good but deep down i didn't believe it.

With Lamela its the opposite, the kid just has "something". Even when he ****s up or gets caught in possession that "something" is still there, he just seems to operate on a different level to everyone else.

Once he tunes into the premier league frequency i think he's going to be ridiculous, Hoddle/Bale take-your-breath-away ridiculous.

My personal feelings towards Sherwood will hinge on how he handles Lamela. The kid is Tottenham.

Loving this post....exactly how I feel..imagine how good it could be if he clicks and starts firing for us soon.....could be a massive plus in our battle for top league positions

Bale, Lennon, Townsend - they've all scored non tap in goals for either Spurs or their country with their weaker foot at a younger age than Lamela. I've watched a few videos of Lamela and kind find any evidence of him ever having done anything noteworthy with his right foot. That is a major and surprising technical flaw in his game.

If he plays on the right, the defender will just show him outside, and vice-versa if he plays on the left.

Bale, Lennon, Townsend - they've all scored non tap in goals for either Spurs or their country with their weaker foot at a younger age than Lamela. I've watched a few videos of Lamela and kind find any evidence of him ever having done anything noteworthy with his right foot. That is a major and surprising technical flaw in his game.

If he plays on the right, the defender will just show him outside, and vice-versa if he plays on the left.

Good job football isn't played 1v1 then eh?

Ever thought he might pass and move to beat his man rather than just dribble past him? Or that his first touch could remove his man from the game regardless of where he plays?

Bale, Lennon, Townsend. This lad isn't a winger, plain and simple. He is a number 10 who for the last year has been adapting his game to suit a wide right forward. I'm not one of the people who rates a player without seeing them, but from the limited playing time he has had I see a footballers brain and the ability to play a slide rule pass, something which none of those three you named can do. Townsend is two footed, but for all his shooting he has failed to score regularly. Lennon's shooting with his left is woeful and Bale on his right is average, even last season he put one over the bar vs the gooners from 6-8 yards out with his weaker foot.

Right now the guy is low on confidence, you can see it in his body language more than anything. Some players just need the arm around the shoulder and a few words of encouragement.

Finally, loaning him out to a club in Italy is just as bad as selling him. He will go back to square one, playing at the pace of the Italian league. The guy needs minutes in this team, playing with the freedom Sherwood has given these players. It would stand to reason that if players like Eriksen and Paulinho are suddenly finding their old skills now AVB has left, so should Lamela. At the end of the day so long as he's not another GDS (work ethic, clubs etc) he should make it, just not right away.

Bale, Lennon, Townsend. This lad isn't a winger, plain and simple. He is a number 10 who for the last year has been adapting his game to suit a wide right forward. I'm not one of the people who rates a player without seeing them, but from the limited playing time he has had I see a footballers brain and the ability to play a slide rule pass, something which none of those three you named can do. Townsend is two footed, but for all his shooting he has failed to score regularly. Lennon's shooting with his left is woeful and Bale on his right is average, even last season he put one over the bar vs the gooners from 6-8 yards out with his weaker foot.

Right now the guy is low on confidence, you can see it in his body language more than anything. Some players just need the arm around the shoulder and a few words of encouragement.

Finally, loaning him out to a club in Italy is just as bad as selling him. He will go back to square one, playing at the pace of the Italian league. The guy needs minutes in this team, playing with the freedom Sherwood has given these players. It would stand to reason that if players like Eriksen and Paulinho are suddenly finding their old skills now AVB has left, so should Lamela. At the end of the day so long as he's not another GDS (work ethic, clubs etc) he should make it, just not right away.

I'd agree with that, and his best place in the team would be behind a striker. I don't wanna see him anywhere near the wing again, we have better options. But he has to take his chance when it comes, he hasn't been doing that. He seems a bit weak, physically and mentally, and he needs to toughen both aspects up.

With any other player, possibly, but with a £30m Argentinian it might prove too much of a humiliation, to the point he'd demand a transfer.
I don't think and certainly don't hope he sees it like that. I believe his eagerness to impress hurts his play and slows down his adaptation, and I would think it's more of a humiliation being a £30M bench warmer with the odd cameo than getting used to the English tempo and physicality playing week in, week out with less pressure for someone else we see as fit. Lamela clearly is a very talented player with great potential, but it's pretty obvious by now that he isn't quite the product yet which we hoped he would be. Add to that his competition is still some way ahead of him, and the added pressure of his price tag. He's had half a season now, let him have the other half doing something useful for someone else if we're not to play him. At least we have to entertain the possibility that we have bought an expensive "hot prospect" and react accordingly. Of course we (the club) should discuss the situation with Lamela, not just send him away, but that much I take for granted.

We should have that much knowledge and experience in loaning out players that we should be able to tailor-make him a load spell with a club setup we see as helpful for his progression. In my opinion at least, that would be way faster and more efficient than having him play 5-a-side at Enfield or expecting him to suddenly ripen like some fruit. Then he can come back in the summer as a calmer, more experienced and more confident player, claiming his place in the side and taking the PL by storm for Spurs.

Sorry im a little confused, did he not have a 15 goal season playing on the right wing? Was there not stores about him being unhappy about playing any where else?

Sorry im a little confused, did he not have a 15 goal season playing on the right wing? Was there not stores about him being unhappy about playing any where else?

I couldn't find any stories about him being unhappy, i think someone made it up.

This left foot dependency argument is stupid, two of the greatest Argentines in football history had a reliance on their left foot.

Top post Bucuresti!

I agree fully, he just has that something special. We need to get him integrated, I'm not blaming Sherwood for not starting him at Old Trafford, but I agree that he needs to handle Lamela well.

This left foot dependency argument is stupid, two of the greatest Argentines in football history had a reliance on their left foot.

Spot on.

Loaning Erik out to a club abroad will be pointless. He'll get game time (presumably) and probably do well for them.

BUT his issues at the moment revolve around getting used to the uniqueness of the prem, settling to life in london and learning the language. He will make little progress on those fronts being somewhere else. He has not come from his native country, he has come from italy so i presume he was fully adjusted and ok there (ie he has done a foreign move before)

The club need to (and most probably are) work with him on and off the field. Some players just take longer and my guess is this one is worth nursing through the process.

Technically he has it and looks to have a football brain to match. Either from the right (as he must have learnt a lot about this position while playing there for Roma) or as a No.10 (will give him less to think about defensively).He doesn't appear to have the flow at the moment when he has the ball. He's is thinking about what he is doing, rather than intuition taking over when he's trying to do the tricks, twists and turns. The confidence will come and may even come from being more confident and settled into his life here.

On the playing side i hope he gets some playing time as i have a feeling that Ade (when good) really plays on the limit, so don't be surprised if he has a dip in form or starts getting muscle injuries (esp with the lack of pre season), Lamela could step in as a No10 (not as physical but hopefully our passing game would have really taken of by then) a foil for Soldado (or visa versa judging by Soldado surprising ability to put people 'in') and at least they both speak spanish!

Last edited:

If we want to loan him out then it needs to be a premiership loan. Somewhere like Hull, Villa or Swansea.

I'd prefer to see him get given games for us personally.

Loan abroad would be very very stupid of us. He needs to get used to THIS style of football. Going abroad will do nothing for him.

If we want to loan him out then it needs to be a premiership loan. Somewhere like Hull, Villa or Swansea.

I'd prefer to see him get given games for us personally.

From being one of the most highly rated young players in world football to going on loan to Hull City six months later.

Only at Tottenham.

Back