• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

Lukaka wasn't exactly cheap. The loan last year saw him come on leaps and bounds, though this years loan is a tad odd. If 6 months at another premiership club can get him up to speed and confident for next season then it may be what's required to get the best out of him as sitting on our bench won't prepare him.

Great example that'll set to all the young 'uns we target in the next window: look, we're more than willing to pay 30 million pounds for you, then keep you on unmoving on the bench for five months before loaning you to some Premiership cloggers because we can't be bothered to actually play you that much. Your international career? Your development as a player? Who gives a damn about all that: we are Spurs, we do what we please!

It's acting like Chelsea without having the success, money or appeal of Chelsea. I.e, suicidal.

The idea of Lamela going to another PL club on loan - presumably a team below us, meaning the likes of Villa or Fulham at best or Stoke or Hull at worst - is totally preposterous and is NEVER going to happen.

It's one thing sending the likes of Lukaku or Carroll off to get game time, because players like that haven't played much big time football (either because they come from a smaller league, or because they are young and can't get into the first team.) But Lamela was a Serie A regular for the guts of 2 seasons (and indeed a River Plater regular before that) and has 6 senior Argentina caps. You don't send a player like that to Hull.

Not only was a regular for Roma but got around 15 goals. It would be madness to send him anywhere on loan in the Premiership. If they do send him on loan to Italy then i would assume that it was with a view to buying him. I am sure he is highly thought of in Italy after what he has done there.

But he needs to stay and be played and lets see what happens. I would like to see him get a run of game no matter what. Soldado is getting the benefit of the doubt and this is what Lamela needs as well.

Not only was a regular for Roma but got around 15 goals. It would be madness to send him anywhere on loan in the Premiership. If they do send him on loan to Italy then i would assume that it was with a view to buying him. I am sure he is highly thought of in Italy after what he has done there.

But he needs to stay and be played and lets see what happens. I would like to see him get a run of game no matter what. Soldado is getting the benefit of the doubt and this is what Lamela needs as well.

It's an interesting dilemma, it all depends on what the coaching staff feel is the issue

- Is it just learning to play his role in the system?
- Is it match fitness, confidence, adjusting to the pace/physicality of the PL?

Spurs is not a good team to "blood" youngsters, I would consider a loan to a PL (not Italy, that really makes no sense) under a couple of conditions

- He pretty much would need to be a guaranteed starter for games (no loan to sit on bench)
- Maybe just a 2 month loan to start (option to recall in March?)

Italy: Getting in the Roma first team, gaining senior Argentina caps, scoring 15 goals in Serie A from the wing, earning a £30m transfer

...is the equivalent to...

England: Not being good enough for a Top 6 Prem team until you have proven yourself at Hull.

I hear this EPL bias a lot. This notion that England is such a better place to play than anywhere else that you can only hack it - and that you should be willing to earn it - by slogging about in the mud at Stoke for 6 months.

I'm not buying that. Roma first team + 15 goals in Serie A + senior Argentina caps = more than good enough to be in any EPL squad, including Spurs.

If the argument is that English football is so much faster and more brutal than elsewhere and that Lamela needs to learn that, well, ok. But, first, you get kicked plenty in Argentina and Italy too. But also second: if it is so brutal and the price you have to pay is living in Western Bromwich for 6 months, then why bother? Why not just stay in beautiful Rome, or go to beautiful Seville and make a top class career there? Is getting a game in the EPL such a glittering prize that you have to be willing to listen to Mark Hughe every day in the cold pi$$ing rain in frigging Stoke for months on end?

No. He comes to England to play in a Top 6 team pushing for CL or better, Or, he goes back to Italy or perhaps Spain.

The ticking bomb here is the WC. If it weren't for that I doubt there'd be much of an issue - even his dad would probably accept a 1 year bedding-in period. But the goddam WC means he has to play, and that is what's causing the current jitters chez Lamela.

Chancer, it's not about not being good enough, its adapting

PL is a bit more physical, pace is different (Soldado who is older and has been targeted more by defenders in his career admitted he was surprised by the physicality/pace)
He also has language/age/foreign country issues

Add to that, its not like he's walking into a Spurs side that is settled and working, so the side is not really able to "carry" him in inconsistent games.

Hence I could see the value of 2 months playing time with a PL club.

The boy needs a chance to play in his best position but won't get it right now with Sherwood implementing his 442. The only way it's gonna happen is if we drop a striker and ask him to sit behind whoever plays up front

send the boy abroad so he can get some confidence back and get into the argentina squad and live his dream

spurs have really hit him in a bad place under AVB's style

that guy online that wrote the report on Lamela was spot on

tiki taka possesion game under coach luis enrique = poor

fast paced, counter attacking, transition , higher tempo game = class (but IMO i think that means good)

this is why i think that he would be better under sherwood, but if he has to go to get that confidence back. come back a new player next season...then so be it

edit:- i would prefer it if he stayed here and played as the bergkamp / rooney in the wonky but hey

send the boy abroad so he can get some confidence back and get into the argentina squad and live his dream

spurs have really hit him in a bad place under AVB's style

that guy online that wrote the report on Lamela was spot on

tiki taka possesion game under coach luis enrique = poor

fast paced, counter attacking, transition , higher tempo game = class (but IMO i think that means good)

this is why i think that he would be better under sherwood, but if he has to go to get that confidence back. come back a new player next season...then so be it

edit:- i would prefer it if he stayed here and played as the bergkamp / rooney in the wonky but hey

I've noticed that you keep downplaying Lamela's ability/form pre-Spurs. I really think you underestimate how much of a coup it was for us to sign the guy, he wasn't some nice little kid having a decent year, his talent has been known since he was a child and by rule, Spurs shouldn't have even been in the running to sign him.

I've noticed that you keep downplaying Lamela's ability/form pre-Spurs. I really think you underestimate how much of a coup it was for us to sign the guy, he wasn't some nice little kid having a decent year, his talent has been known since he was a child and by rule, Spurs shouldn't have even been in the running to sign him.

this.

i havent tried to hide it.....i have been downplaying it i admit it.

Look i am not meaning to rag on this guy in a bad way, i just havent seen enough to say that i think he is amazing or will be this superstar amazing

i tend to go on what i see, i havent assessed players on his calibre or anything but i have been lucky enough to be taught on looking for certain traits on kids

an in all honesty, i listened to the hype and got taken in by it and the money...tottenham record. What i see doesnt match the hype or the money.

one other thing , looking at the you tube clips, when i saw his highlights......i know its late in the day to say it now...but i wasnt THAT impressed. i was impressed, who wouldnt be, seeing a youngster curl in goals from ridiculous angles.....but i wasnt THAT impressed if you get my drift.
i actually hate you tube clips of just goals and assists.....the first thing i look for in a you tube clip is touch, proximity control, if a players is technical , has vision...and most importantly...how **** or good the opposition defence is

this kid is obviously talented but so are many others, the difference in those that are really amazing are those have the strong will and mental strength to apply themselves and to do so consistently...otherwise its down to luck and hardwork

I have come to accept one thing though, he cant control how much money is paid for him and he cant control the hype machine around his exploits....the best he can do is just go out there and just do him as best as he can

i have come to accept the good he does rather than waiting for the amazing. And quite frankly...a whole TEAM of lamelas....at 15 million a pop...= world class football team.

Lamela is indeed, technical, good touch, quick minded, intelligent and willing to work hard...his face and expression also screams humility as well.

i like him...i just dont want to multiply everything he does by 10000000.

ironically...i saw two you tube clips that day...one of lamela and one of pjanic. and it was actually pjanic that i wanted more than lamela...based on you tube clips though...which is one above knowing nothing

lamela is a good footballer, i just think right now he is lacking in confidence and cant apply his skills . but i dont think he is playing great or that when he has a good game against some back waters team in europa that it vindicates his soon to be world class status

He's yet to even start a home game in the league for us yet. Talk about making us wait to see our shiny new expensive present

and yet there are kids out there applying their trade on a higher level than him in this league.

it just goes to show talent is just one of many attributes that makes a great performer

okay look at it from my perspective

people are hyping this kid ...and i mean hyping him no end
your club pays 30 million for the "argentinian wonder kid". a record fee

you havent seen him play a live 90 minutes game...not one. what would you expect from the two lines above?

and after seeing him up until january.....taking into account you're not afraid to tell people what you think of this kid based on what you have seen in a tottenham shirt...what would you think about his performances to date of what he has actually done

He's yet to even start a home game in the league for us yet. Talk about making us wait to see our shiny new expensive present

why hasnt he? let me ask you that...why hasnt he started?

he's apparently better than anything or most that we have now.....why hasnt he started for us yet?

I actually think that getting this kid playing and getting Soldado scoring could be the difference in champs league football or not.....

We need to give him a run of games.........this statement is based not on knowledge or from having seen him in training but from a hope that he can be our C Ronaldo....

We have to dream dont we?????? everything I researched on this kid screamed at me that he would be wow wow wow!

sureley we cant mess up this talent.

why hasnt he? let me ask you that...why hasnt he started?

he's apparently better than anything or most that we have now.....why hasnt he started for us yet?

I don't know. You'd have to ask Tim and AVB. I don't understand it, but I've been talked into being patient. Waiting until at least the end of the season before I make my mind up on whether we've handled this right or not.

I actually think that getting this kid playing and getting Soldado scoring could be the difference in champs league football or not.....

We need to give him a run of games.........this statement is based not on knowledge or from having seen him in training but from a hope that he can be our C Ronaldo....

We have to dream dont we?????? everything I researched on this kid screamed at me that he would be wow wow wow!

sureley we cant mess up this talent.

I'm glad you mentioned him because this is who I think of every time commentators/media talk about how Lamela has "not worked out" for us.

I vividly remember thinking how **** Ronaldo was when he first came here. Reverting to lollipop after lollipop and just looking pretty lost to start with and it was not long after that I began to choke on my laughter as he transformed into CR7TM

I'm glad you mentioned him because this is who I think of every time commentators/media talk about how Lamela has "not worked out" for us.

I vividly remember thinking how **** Ronaldo was when he first came here. Reverting to lollipop after lollipop and just looking pretty lost to start with and it was not long after that I began to choke on my laughter as he transformed into CR7TM

A shame Rene Muelensteen isn't one of our coaches then!

That first season of step over, step over had me thinking he was only a one trick pony ..

Thing with Lamela that we don't know is what happens on training ground, said it earlier, is he match fit, is he mentally ok (homesick)? is it just the pace/physicality that has the staff worried? or are we (Spurs) so desperate for a result we aren't willing to allow for a few inconsistent games until he settles in?

its funny cause his first season had me thinking he was an end product and proper decision making away from being world class

see Raziel..we do assess people very differently

not saying i get it right all the time, i said routledge would have a better career than lennon and i said taarabt would be a top class footballer...oh and that ryan smith and nathan porrit and Jet would some day take the premier league by storm

ALL WRONG!!! :-#

Back