• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

Yeh i thought he would be good playing off the striker, but what i'm saying now is, he should play side by side with Ade. Basically that would be his 'starting' position but will have licence to drop deep and roam (similar to Suarez). i think it could be very very very effective.

Needs to be able to use his right foot more to play centrally IMO. At the moment he is predictable as he does the clever but first then over complicates it and has no option to put it into his right peg. Even VDV who was left footed could use his right when needed and score goals with it. Bale even scored some with his right too but Lamella seems to just go into his left all the time

He needs a couple of positive games and a goal or an assist or two for him to gain that confidence which he had in barrel loads last season.

RE: Lamela becoming VdV. Might be me picking holes, but from what I can remember VdV sat in the hole and moved between the lines, became the extra man in midfield when needed and arrived late in the box to score goals as well as being a great poacher. VdV wasn't part of the wonky as he joined when we were playing with two out and out wingers. With that said, the wonky I remember best was with Defoe and Keane upfront, with Keane and Modric roaming around all over the place. Lamela could definately do this, but I do think we need a truly lethal Ade up front to get the majority of our goals, that or Paulinho starts finding the back of the net.

I do agree though, from all I have seen so far of him, he seems at his best in the middle of the park. I'm just not convinced of his goalscoring ability yet

Excellent post.

He got 15 goals in serie a last season. Looking on youtube they were all quite varied. Tap ins. Long rangers, middle of the area etc so he obviously gets in good positions.

So Tim has said today that Lamela has a thigh injury so isn't available for tomorrow ... but his brother thinks otherwise ..

YhrGY2y.png

Hmmm. Let the conspiracy theories roll.

Also said

Erik Lamela has struggled to adapt to the pace of the Barclays Premier League since his £30million move from Roma, but Sherwood looks unlikely to allow him to leave for Atletico Madrid, who reportedly want the player on loan.

"He has not mentioned (going out on loan) to me," Sherwood said of Lamela, who is expected to miss Saturday's game at Arsenal because of a thigh injury.

"He just needs to settle like a lot of the (new signings do). He needs time for me to recognise what he can do, what he can produce and when I get the comfort in him then he will play, but he is injured at the moment."

Sounds like he needs to step it up in training

Wouldn't pay much attention to what his brother says. Not exactly been spot on recently.

I'd sell him back to Italy for a loss personally while he's still got value. He's all left foot, his right is just for standing on. Makes him predictable and easy to play against.

I feel a bit sorry for Erik, I believe he thought the Premier League would be easier than it turned out to be. Apart from the odd nifty trick here and there, by and large his overall play has had a little awkwardness about it. I had and still have high hopes for the lad, but I think both him and us could perhaps make use of a loan spell, getting some regular football to get up to speed.

I'd sell him back to Italy for a loss personally while he's still got value. He's all left foot, his right is just for standing on. Makes him predictable and easy to play against.

Ridiculous and the same can be said for 99% of players.

How about some patience?

He is 21. In a different country and very different football culture ( or lack of) and on his 2nd head coach in 4 months. He has been given time to settle and not played as much as he might have and people are ready to give up on him. Wow.

I wouldn't want to form a definitive opinion on him in May after one season let alone after 4 months. Modern media driven short term ism is killing this game, especially now more and more fans think it has to be instantaneous success

How about some patience?

He is 21. In a different country and very different football culture ( or lack of) and on his 2nd head coach in 4 months. He has been given time to settle and not played as much as he might have and people are ready to give up on him. Wow.

I wouldn't want to form a definitive opinion on him in May after one season let alone after 4 months. Modern media driven short term ism is killing this game, especially now more and more fans think it has to be instantaneous success

He hasn't even flattered to deceive though. He's shown nothing apart from the ability to contort his left foot into numerous positions that will save him from using his right.

He's behind too many players - Lennon and Townsend on the right, and Eriksen, Chadli and Townsend on the left.

What's he had, in total about 4 full game's worth of playing time.

A young player, in a new league, into a team and club in a state of flux and you want to **** him off?

Mad, I tell ya!

How about some patience?

Patience is well and good, and I agree that instant gratification is the poisonous mantra of today. However, wouldn't it be beneficial for him to be loaned out to get game time regain some confidence if we're not planning on playing him regularly for now anyway? I wouldn't want for us to risk ruining our 30M investment, but at that price we have got to expect him to be better than what we already have (Lennon and Townsend). My opinion about that doesn't matter however, but if our setup deems Lennon the better choice at the moment, wouldn't it be better for both Lamela and us having him playing every week at another (PL) club so that we can assess the status again in the summer?

If our staff sees him as not quite ready yet, he won't get much better sitting on our bench.

How easy to play against do you think Bale was? Don't post such nonsense....

How easy to play against do you think Bale was? Don't post such nonsense....

Bale's always had a very handy right foot and pace as well.

The reality is that Lamela is not going to be starting many games this season, unless we get lots of injuries. I don't think Sherwood rates him. A loan is probably the best option.

He shouldn't get special treatment because he's Argentinian, cost £30 million and is a bit of a pretty boy.

Patience is well and good, and I agree that instant gratification is the poisonous mantra of today. However, wouldn't it be beneficial for him to be loaned out to get game time regain some confidence if we're not planning on playing him regularly for now anyway? I wouldn't want for us to risk ruining our 30M investment, but at that price we have got to expect him to be better than what we already have (Lennon and Townsend). My opinion about that doesn't matter however, but if our setup deems Lennon the better choice at the moment, wouldn't it be better for both Lamela and us having him playing every week at another (PL) club so that we can assess the status again in the summer?

If our staff sees him as not quite ready yet, he won't get much better sitting on our bench.

With any other player, possibly, but with a £30m Argentinian it might prove too much of a humiliation, to the point he'd demand a transfer.

He hasn't even flattered to deceive though. He's shown nothing apart from the ability to contort his left foot into numerous positions that will save him from using his right.

He's behind too many players - Lennon and Townsend on the right, and Eriksen, Chadli and Townsend on the left.

He has shown moments. He has shown willingness to get involved. Majority of professional footballers are macaronically one-footed and yet you have a go at Lamela based on half a dozen cameos. Wow, again.

So are Messi, Robben, Bale, RVP, Silva, Mata etc etc. The truth is there are very few footballers who are even competent with their weaker foot. Sure, write Lamela off because after his three league starts you think he's **** but saying he's rubbish because he's one footed is just stupid. He's no more one footed than the majority of our squad, should we ditch them as well?

Back