• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

If we're not going to play Lamela, then we should loan him to an Italian club, so that he at least holds his value.

I'd like to think that he will get a chance though. Unfortunately for him, the fee is gonna dictate what happens imo.

Just watched a video on youtube from OS from a recent training. Lamela was there scoring, but the headlines were "Kane, Sandro and Defoe among the goals in training". Could be a mere coincidence that he wasn't mentioned, but...

I find it funny that Sherwood has no problem picking Bentaleb out of nowhere, giving him playing time over Holtby/Capoue while our record signing who is one of the biggest young prospects in the world is sitting on the bench, or not even that.

Just watched a video on youtube from OS from a recent training. Lamela was there scoring, but the headlines were "Kane, Sandro and Defoe among the goals in training". Could be a mere coincidence that he wasn't mentioned, but...

I don't know whether it was just because I was watching clips from an elite training session and that's what it's always like, or whether it was because I watched it with no sound and for some reason that made a difference to my perception, but I thought everything was so fast paced there.

Obviously we want to play a quick tempo in games and I thought that was very interesting to see. So much quicker than any of AVB's sessions I've ever seen clips of.

I think the sad truth is that we, as a club, are going to prefer players like Andros Townsend over him.

That is in absolutely no way a slight on Andros who is progressing very nicely indeed, but we're not a team who seems able to incorporate technically talented players into our make up. Harry came closest when he deployed VdV off Crouch - but even then half the time VdV would end up on the left of a 4 man midfield and get criticised for not tracking back properly.

It seems the worringly ever increasing liklehood with Lamela is we're never going to play him, and he'll probably leave the club. What we are trying to avoid admitting to ourselves (i think) is that Lamela would fit in at Arsenal, to name one example, and I believe be a roaring success. The reality is we'll probably end up playing Townsend, say, on a regular basis (eventually) and knowing Spurs and how our players who don't move on tend to plateau, who will at best be a 5 goals, 5 assists man a season - whilst Lamela will end up fulfilling his potential and becoming world class.

The little bits i have seen of him in a Spurs shirt he looks intelligent, full of craft, extremely skilful, and a genuine touch of class ie not a very 'Spurs' type player: the type of player we allude to wanting, but then fail horribly to integrate into what are at times archaic and baffling tactics. That is why I was behind the Harry sacking and the AVB appointment: I though we were going to have an ingrained system and squad of players who fit that system and are thus interchangeable- much like ****. For whatever reason, that didn't happen and is now gone.

Spurs, for whatever reason, will always prefer (or will only be ever able to utilise) an Andros Townsend and never an Erik Lamela. I don't know why, but it seems to be more and more, and ever so depressingly, the case.

I hope I'm proved wrong, but I fear I won't be. When Harry Kane, Nacer Chadli and Bentaleb are preffered over Soldado, Capoue and Lamela the evidence unfortunately points one way.

I think the sad truth is that we, as a club, are going to prefer players like Andros Townsend over him.

I hope your post is symptomatic of the blues after a NLD defeat!

I agree that Lamela looks to have the potential to be a darling of the lane....we just need to play him and make him into the next Bale, simple!

I don't know. You'd have to ask Tim and AVB. I don't understand it, but I've been talked into being patient. Waiting until at least the end of the season before I make my mind up on whether we've handled this right or not.

Well it was clear as day AVB did not rate him.

I remember saying this a while ago, how it was a crazy decision (tbh i think it was far more sinister) playing him in a Euro game where he has a motm performance, dropping him in a home game vs Saudi Sportswashing Machine, then starting him on the left vs City. That's when i was sure he wasn't rated and AVB picked him vs City for ulterior motives.

People kept going on about AVB "protecting him" and how he needed to get used to the English game, how he was young, etc etc. People kept bringing up Lloris as an example but AVB actually let him start league games (Villa at home) early to get him up to speed with the English game....as for being young...most of our new signings are young but they all got starts sooner. Doesn't look like Sherwood rates him much either but i'm hoping he'll be given a fair crack of the whip.

I don't think that at all. I think the pushing through of our academy players is more to do with Sherwood trying to impress upon the board that we have quality coming through if only we gave it a chance. The problem is that TS may be doing this to the detriment of the team/club when failing to bring through a player like Lamela. In all honesty I think there is space in a team for both Townsend and Lamela, they both have different strengths but both can be intergrated into one system.

In the academy we have had small, technical players like Pritchard and Carroll playing alongside flyers like Townsend. I don't see this as a case of one or the other, I see it as a case of conceiving a system that lets them all play. Lets face it, they are different types of player who should be occupying different areas of the field. I honestly think if this lad was in and around the box more often we would see what he's about.

I find it funny that Sherwood has no problem picking Bentaleb out of nowhere, giving him playing time over Holtby/Capoue while our record signing who is one of the biggest young prospects in the world is sitting on the bench, or not even that.

Because Deadwood doesn't know anything about Lamela (same as Capoue) so why would he play him?

When Ade starts reverting to type, i see a chance for Lamela to fill the No.10 roll and given enough games will come good (as long as the rest of the team is still motivated).

I think there are similarities (inc type of player) to when Reyes started at Arsenal (never really worked out) but also RVP (cutting in and scoring from the right) and lets remember it took a long time for RVP to become the player he is.

I'm a big beleiver in 'if you're good enough, you're old enough'. I know, I know I sound like Harry f*cking Redknapp but I truely do believe it. From what I've seen he looks like he has great potential and I feel needs a few games to really get going. Then again, none of us see him every day in training, could have a bad attitude, maybe doesn't mix well or other people are just performing better than him on the training pitch.

I do hope we see a bit more of him before the end of the season though.

Lets not let the facts get in the way of this witch hunt, but the lad has been injured for the last 2 weeks.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Fapatalk

Last edited:

He's back in training today.

Scored in a 10-6 win against Charlton. Obika got 6, Chadli x 2 and 1 for Holtby

No Stomach for the fight:

"Erik Lamela’s Tottenham career looks all but over after his father revealed the player is desperate to quit White Hart Lane.

Lamela only joined Spurs in the summer as part of a club record £30million deal, but he has struggled to adapt to life in England.

And despite Tim Sherwood previously shrugging off speculation that the 21-year-old could leave on-loan this month, Jose Lamela says his son is desperate to leave.

‘Erik is not happy and wants to go back to Italy,’ he told the Italian media.

‘He has been linked with Lazio, but I don’t know anything about this. Could he re-join Roma? I don’t know.

‘Tottenham does not want him to leave in January.’

Lamela has made just nine Premier League appearances this term – and was previously linked with a transfer to Inter Milan."

http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/07/erik-...-january-reveals-father-jose-lamela-4253483/?

Last edited:

"Lamela added our fourth with a stunning solo goal, taking on and beating several players before finishing across the keeper with his right foot."

Back