• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

I think away from home, or against better sides (see the goons) Dembele and Wanyama/Dier are an excellent pair. But perhaps for home games against more defensive teams who aren't as good as us, Winks is worth starting more often. It'd be good for him at this stage of his career, and good for us if he can raise the tempo of our play in these types of games at home. Also saves Dembele's legs a bit more.

The thing that impressed me most about him was when he had sight of goal from distance and the crowd was going "SHOOOOOT", would have been easy for a young player on his debut in front of the home crowd to start trying his luck, but he kept his composure and tried playing the clever through ball.

He now joins that illustrious list alongside the likes of Dean Marney, Tom Carroll, Ryan Mason, Nabil Bentaleb and Jamie O'Hara as young midfielders that have come through our academy and had people tossing over them on here after their debuts. Who was actually the last midfielder to come through our academy and make a real impact though? Think you'd probably need to go back as far as Barmby?
How many midfielders have Man U, Goons, Pool, Cheats, City brought through in the last 10 years to have 100+ games - anyone think of any?

Thought it was disgusting that BT Sport gave MoM to Kane just because he got the decisive goals. That young lad had a storming game given it was his first start, the derby occasion, the importance of the points at stake and given his age. Even without the goal he was such an influence and it would've nothing short of justified for him to have stood in front of the journos and collect the MoM award.

If I was Harry Snr i'd have publicly declared that he was giving the award to Harry Jnr…certainly seemed the feeling was shared amongst our players Twitter accounts!

agreed

people are obsessed with goals

I remember when I use to envy the Goons because they use to bring young players through and we did not, not any more, well done Poch:

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...ging-room-after-scoring-against-a3401201.html

Except they never really did.

They played a load of youth players in the League Cup and got tons of positive media coverage for that but Wenger's record with home grown youth players coming through in the League or meaningful matches is absolutely non-existent - something like 5 in total in 20 years.

Except they never really did.

They played a load of youth players in the League Cup and got tons of positive media coverage for that but Wenger's record with home grown youth players coming through in the League or meaningful matches is absolutely non-existent - something like 5 in total in 20 years.

Which is even better :)

How many midfielders have Man U, Goons, Pool, Cheats, City brought through in the last 10 years to have 100+ games - anyone think of any?

Man Utd - Darren Fletcher is the only one I can think of. Obviously there was also the class of 92.

Arsenal - Wheelchair and Coquelin, Fabregas was probably a bit more than 10 years ago

Liverpool - Sterling is the only recent one I can think of as Rafa was crap with bringing young players through. They had Fowler, McManaman, Carragher, Gerrard and Owen in the 90s though.

City and Chelsea - Have hardly given anyone from their academy a look in since they got money. Only two names I can think of from either club are Stephen Ireland and Jody Morris and both were long before the money.

Man Utd - Darren Fletcher is the only one I can think of. Obviously there was also the class of 92.

Arsenal - Wheelchair and Coquelin, Fabregas was probably a bit more than 10 years ago

Liverpool - Sterling is the only recent one I can think of as Rafa was crap with bringing young players through. They had Fowler, McManaman, Carragher, Gerrard and Owen in the 90s though.

City and Chelsea - Have hardly given anyone from their academy a look in since they got money. Only two names I can think of from either club are Stephen Ireland and Jody Morris and both were long before the money.

Sterling was signed a 15/16 year old from QPR for £1m or something like that

Coqleulin signed for arsenal when he was 17/18 iirc and even then only got his chance by luck due to injuries as wenger was offloading him to the championship

United have some good youngsters just the wrong manager although you could argue that they ahe boridced Keane and Heaton at Burnley (not midfielders I know). There's Drinkwater

City have also produced them but not given many chances other than Innacho who is brilliant IMO but again not a midfielder

do the 100 games have to be for that same club or it it just who successfully developed a MF?

Pogba immediately springs to mind

possibly a little disingenuous if that is the case as clubs at that level rarely have rookies in the team, I guess we have kind of been a sweet spot for that in recent years as we can only afford a certain amount of quality but we play a lot of games

Sterling was signed a 15/16 year old from QPR for £1m or something like that

Coqleulin signed for arsenal when he was 17/18 iirc and even then only got his chance by luck due to injuries as wenger was offloading him to the championship

United have some good youngsters just the wrong manager although you could argue that they ahe boridced Keane and Heaton at Burnley (not midfielders I know). There's Drinkwater

City have also produced them but not given many chances other than Innacho who is brilliant IMO but again not a midfielder

Thanks guys, so we have Darren Fletcher and Jack Wheelchair as examples of midfielders with a decent number of games at a top club, brought through in the last 10 years.
Fletcher made his debut in 2003, so that just leaves that little twunt Wheelchair who plays about 20 minutes per year and has been binned off to Bournemouth.
It is very, very hard to do what we are trying to do with Mason, Bentaleb, Winks, Carroll etc

I think we should definitely start a petition to get him shirt number 40 next season, and for that feller up at Leicester to marry into the Given family, then get squad number 0, to become Zero Fuchs-Given.

Thanks guys, so we have Darren Fletcher and Jack Wheelchair as examples of midfielders with a decent number of games at a top club, brought through in the last 10 years.
Fletcher made his debut in 2003, so that just leaves that little twunt Wheelchair who plays about 20 minutes per year and has been binned off to Bournemouth.
It is very, very hard to do what we are trying to do with Mason, Bentaleb, Winks, Carroll etc

Wheelchair was brought from luton

Back