• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

True. Bilic got it right yesterday, but the jury is still out on him I've seen. He is a bit of a nutcase isnt he?

At one time, I'd have harboured significant hope Barton would turn into a disruptive influence there, although he seems to have toned it down a bit nowadays. Still a chance of a bust-up with teammates after they've just dissed the work of Jean-Paul Sartre, I suppose.

It would be just typical to see the haggling over 2-3 million euros cost us a player. I know Keith was banging on about it in another thread and I was against paying stupid fees early on that we can't afford, but when it comes to such small amounts I feel as ****ed off as the next fan.

As for Alvaro Vadillo, we've been liked with him for over a year and I cannot see why. He doesn't look all that good and has a buyout clause that does not represent his value. I did read somewhere that he only has two years left on his contract, so maybe it's his agent making noise to get his client a better deal.

What if it is not us doing the haggling and it is all Lyon? Nothing we can do there. I have more trust in Levy and our team in getting things done quickly, but it takes 3 parties to agree on a deal.

What if it is not us doing the haggling and it is all Lyon? Nothing we can do there. I have more trust in Levy and our team in getting things done quickly, but it takes 3 parties to agree on a deal.

the Lloris deal, according to Aulas the Lyon chairman

We had people speaking all night with Daniel Levy. He talks a lot and goes back on what we’ve agreed in writing. Agreements have not at all been respected.

The first negotiation was at the start of the window, about a month and a half ago, through an intermediary who was a French lawyer who lives in Lyon. And then nothing for about a month and a half. The negotiation then picked up again about a week ago.

We had email exchanges which have been contradicted, so that’s made it very complicated. It’s difficult. The Tottenham board’s theory is to explain that the economic market is very hard and so we have to get used to renegotiating.

It’s been very, very difficult. I’ve got 25 years of experience as a president of a club and it’s our 16th participation in a European competition in a row. But this is very rare in the football world. The negotiation with the Tottenham directors has been the hardest I have ever had to undergo in these 25 years.”

Tottenham are reporting considering a surprise swoop for Emirates Marketing Project midfielder Marcos Lopes.

The 19-year-old is understood to be weighing up his future at the Premier League giants having made just five first-team appearances for the two-time champions since 2013.

Lopes, who has five international caps for Portugal’s Under-21s, scored three goals in 27 appearances in all competitions last season whilst on loan at Ligue 1 outfit Lille.

The French club are thought to be keen on bringing back the Portugal midfielder to the Stade Pierre-Mauroy for a second successive loan spell, although Premier League rivals Spurs are also monitoring his availability.

With just one year remaining on Lopes’ current deal at The Etihad, Everton and Saudi Sportswashing Machine have also been reportedly linked with the youngster in the past.

http://www.shoot.co.uk/spurs-monitor-man-city-prodigy/

the Lloris deal, according to Aulas the Lyon chairman

We had people speaking all night with Daniel Levy. He talks a lot and goes back on what we’ve agreed in writing. Agreements have not at all been respected.

The first negotiation was at the start of the window, about a month and a half ago, through an intermediary who was a French lawyer who lives in Lyon. And then nothing for about a month and a half. The negotiation then picked up again about a week ago.

We had email exchanges which have been contradicted, so that’s made it very complicated. It’s difficult. The Tottenham board’s theory is to explain that the economic market is very hard and so we have to get used to renegotiating.

It’s been very, very difficult. I’ve got 25 years of experience as a president of a club and it’s our 16th participation in a European competition in a row. But this is very rare in the football world. The negotiation with the Tottenham directors has been the hardest I have ever had to undergo in these 25 years.”

So i guess you are using the example of Lloris transfer to show that Levy must be doing the same thing here. I don't see the relevance, but did find it an interesting read. Then I did a bit of research on Aulas. He's known himself as a bit of a tough negotiator and actually the following examples show long, drawn out affairs when it has come to him selling his best players (what any chairman would do to extract maximum value).

Essien - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/4152512.stm - Lots of quotes where Aulas is changing the price and stance;
Diarra - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/4799091.stm - Quote from Diarra saying what the opening price was, and he actually eventually went for less;
Malouda - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-465860/Chelsea-arent-Malouda-deal-blast-Lyon.html & http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/6257894.stm- Says Chelsea are not serious but we all know what then happened.

He is the Levy of the French league!

So our chairman drives a hard bargain.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...6m-says-Lyon-president-Jean-Michel-Aulas.html - So here he says the fee was £16m. So the intermediary then gets involved. Nothing for a month and a half, and then the real negotiations begin.

We all know what the fee ended up being. Could it be that he changed the goal posts himself a bit and didn't manage to get what he wanted? Or, he has come out with the latest to save face from the fact that he didn't get the €20m that he initially expected.

For every transfer that seems to be dragging, there is an example of a quick transfer. We tied up Dele Ali, Wimmer, Trippier and Alderweireld quite quickly. We did the same with Modric, Berbatov, Soldado, Paulinho etc...

Our chairman has form with both, so why would I believe one over the other.

I'd imagine we're still some way apart on the valuation, which, to my mind, could explain why we've made no bid. No point, if we know it won't be entertained.

"You'll take, say, fifteen million pounds?"
"No, we'll take, say, twenty-five million pounds."

Et cetera.

Alderweireld took weeks, though. As did Trippier: there were a rush of articles claiming we were close to signing him, and then it took another two weeks before we actually confirmed it.

By contrast, Rondon was linked to West Brom a couple of days ago and was officially signed today.

Yes, we do do deals quickly (Wimmer was a quick one, I agree: as was Alli) at times. And certainly, other clubs probably take their time with some deals as well. However, there are certainly grounds for suggesting that, for us, quick deals are rarer than the ones where we seemingly haggle for weeks on end before finally concluding an often torturous saga that many are just relieved to see end. :p

Tottenham favourites to sign Breel Embolo for £10m after teenage Switzerland striker's Basel brace
  • 19:26, 10 AUGUST 2015
  • BY DARREN WITCOOP
Mauricio Pochettino sent scouts to watch Embolo, 18, begin the season with a bang against Luzern to hike up his valuation
Getty
Breel-Embolo-Matias-Emilio-Delgado-Georgi-Terziev-and-Aleksandar-Aleksandrov.jpg

Breel deal: Teen is wanted by several Prem clubs
Tottenham are leading the race to sign £10million-rated FC Basel wonderkid Breel Embolo.

Mauricio Pochettino sent scouts to watch the Switzerland striker, 18, score twice against Luzern at the weekend.

Embolo is fast emerging as one of Europe’s hottest properties and has already been capped three times by the Swiss.

He netted 10 goals last term and has started the new Swiss Super League season with a bang to hike up his valuation.

Reuters
Breel-Embolo-Fabio-Espinho-and-Svetoslav-Dyakov.jpg

Eurostar: Embolo in Champions League action last season

Premier League sides Aston Villa, West Brom and West Ham have also shown strong interest in the Cameroon-born frontman.

But Spurs’ policy of blooding young players leaves Pochettino favourite to sign the teenager.

I'd imagine we're still some way apart on the valuation, which, to my mind, could explain why we've made no bid. No point, if we know it won't be entertained.

"You'll take, say, fifteen million pounds?"
"No, we'll take, say, twenty-five million pounds."

Et cetera.
i think both parties have to sit down and thrash out a deal. As the buyer, the onus is on us to make the first move and make a bid.

So i guess you are using the example of Lloris transfer to show that Levy must be doing the same thing here. I don't see the relevance, but did find it an interesting read. Then I did a bit of research on Aulas. He's known himself as a bit of a tough negotiator and actually the following examples show long, drawn out affairs when it has come to him selling his best players (what any chairman would do to extract maximum value).

Essien - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/Chel53a/4152512.stm - Lots of quotes where Aulas is changing the price and stance;
Diarra - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/4799091.stm - Quote from Diarra saying what the opening price was, and he actually eventually went for less;
Malouda - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-465860/Chel53a-arent-Malouda-deal-blast-Lyon.html & http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/Chel53a/6257894.stm- Says Chel53a are not serious but we all know what then happened.

He is the Levy of the French league!

So our chairman drives a hard bargain.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...6m-says-Lyon-president-Jean-Michel-Aulas.html - So here he says the fee was £16m. So the intermediary then gets involved. Nothing for a month and a half, and then the real negotiations begin.

We all know what the fee ended up being. Could it be that he changed the goal posts himself a bit and didn't manage to get what he wanted? Or, he has come out with the latest to save face from the fact that he didn't get the €20m that he initially expected.

For every transfer that seems to be dragging, there is an example of a quick transfer. We tied up Dele Ali, Wimmer, Trippier and Alderweireld quite quickly. We did the same with Modric, Berbatov, Soldado, Paulinho etc...

Our chairman has form with both, so why would I believe one over the other.

Now that has put the cat among the pigeons for all the conspiracy theorists ;)

Alderweireld took weeks, though. As did Trippier: there were a rush of articles claiming we were close to signing him, and then it took another two weeks before we actually confirmed it.

By contrast, Rondon was linked to West Brom a couple of days ago and was officially signed today.

Yes, we do do deals quickly (Wimmer was a quick one, I agree: as was Alli) at times. And certainly, other clubs probably take their time with some deals as well. However, there are certainly grounds for suggesting that, for us, quick deals are rarer than the ones where we seemingly haggle for weeks on end before finally concluding an often torturous saga that many are just relieved to see end. :p

I understand that but it's only the press and the ITKs that have made it seem like this has been drawn out. There are just so many moving parts to a transfer that I can't see why we would think that someone like Levy who desperately wants success would want to drag getting in another player if it could be avoided. I don't believe it is him in the main as he has form with quick transfers just as much as slow transfers. Besides that, I don't think we should be using press speculation as a means to decipher when we were first interested. He could be option 33 for all we know.

My take, and at the risk of sounding like a broken record ;), is that we are trying to get our targets in quickly but the calibre of player we are trying to get lends itself to a drawn out affair more often than not, as these types of player are of a high quality. Taking Berahino as an example, would it not be a sensible thing for WBA to get a replacement in first, and use Emirates Marketing Project as a means of trying to extract more money from us, much like Levy did with the sales of Berbatov, Modric and Bale. More money that we just can't afford to pay without it having a knock on effect on something else.

i think both parties have to sit down and thrash out a deal. As the buyer, the onus is on us to make the first move and make a bid.

Sorry Indian, I know I am responding a lot to your posts, but I just want to put my side across as it is contrary to your thoughts. As the buyer, the onus is on us to make the first move, I agree. However, there is no onus on the seller to sit down and thrash out a deal unless they have to sell, the transfer window is coming to a close, the player is unhappy or they have exhausted all possible efforts to make it an auction. WBA don't have a great record at selling at high prices, and this is their chance. If I were their chairman, I'd be dragging this out as long as I possibly could.

I understand that but it's only the press and the ITKs that have made it seem like this has been drawn out. There are just so many moving parts to a transfer that I can't see why we would think that someone like Levy who desperately wants success would want to drag getting in another player if it could be avoided. I don't believe it is him in the main as he has form with quick transfers just as much as slow transfers. Besides that, I don't think we should be using press speculation as a means to decipher when we were first interested. He could be option 33 for all we know.

My take, and at the risk of sounding like a broken record ;), is that we are trying to get our targets in quickly but the calibre of player we are trying to get lends itself to a drawn out affair more often than not, as these types of player are of a high quality. Taking Berahino as an example, would it not be a sensible thing for WBA to get a replacement in first, and use Emirates Marketing Project as a means of trying to extract more money from us, much like Levy did with the sales of Berbatov, Modric and Bale. More money that we just can't afford to pay without it having a knock on effect on something else.

Berahino, Njie, Werner, Embolo, Martial earlier in the window....all are good quality, mainly potential, but definitely not high quality yet.

Sure, but again, I'd direct you to the Aulas/Lloris situation: Aulas first had an inquiry from us at the start of the summer 2012 window, and then only got follow-up inquiries two-odd months later. Then, he thought he'd agreed a fee, only for Levy to come back and offer a lower amount than what was previously agreed, claiming that renegotiation was a fact of the market. The consequence of all that was that we signed Lloris on deadline day, and Aulas (no doubt) bitterly cursed our name in the highly amusing Gallic way. :p

Like it or not, that sort of thing is an indicator of what we do behind the scenes. I don't think it's something we do with every transfer, by any means (Alli, Wimmer et al, although there's an argument to be made for those players being beneath the 'calibre' you're referring to), but that we do it more often than is entirely healthy for us is a proposition which certainly has merit, imo. And that's without going into individual cases like Schneiderlin last season and Moutinho in 2012: instances where we seemingly were the only ones interested,and still tried the 'long-drawn out' approach.

Berahino, Njie, Werner, Embolo, Martial earlier in the window....all are good quality, mainly potential, but definitely not high quality yet.

Understand that, but as high potential they could easily be holding out for one of the CL teams to make an offer if their offers for De Bruyne etc... do not work out. Man United are in the market for a striker, and could easily buy potential rather than the ready made thing as well.

Sure, but again, I'd direct you to the Aulas/Lloris situation: Aulas first had an inquiry from us at the start of the summer 2012 window, and then only got follow-up inquiries two-odd months later. Then, he thought he'd agreed a fee, only for Levy to come back and offer a lower amount than what was previously agreed, claiming that renegotiation was a fact of the market. The consequence of all that was that we signed Lloris on deadline day, and Aulas (no doubt) bitterly cursed our name in the highly amusing Gallic way. :p

Like it or not, that sort of thing is an indicator of what we do behind the scenes. I don't think it's something we do with every transfer, by any means (Alli, Wimmer et al, although there's an argument to be made for those players being beneath the 'calibre' you're referring to), but that we do it more often than is entirely healthy for us is a proposition which certainly has merit, imo. And that's without going into individual cases like Schneiderlin last season and Moutinho in 2012: instances where we seemingly were the only ones interested,and still tried the 'long-drawn out' approach.

I just don't see it that way. I see it as Aulas trying to extract every single € from the transfer and giving himself every opportunity to get the highest possible price. He originally wanted £16m from a top CL side, and when he realised he wasn't going to get that was unhappy that he couldn't dictate the terms. He didn't have to agree to the price, he didn't have to put up with our shenanigans (if indeed they did take place) but the fact that he did shows that we did come to an agreement. His form on previous transfers shows that he takes his time with transfers. For completeness of information I will say that he has form on quick sales as well like Benzema, but in the main he is renown for being a tough negotiator and one that drags out sales to the point where it tinkles off the player. Sounds familiar eh? It's what any good chairman would do.

Back