• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

I just don't see it that way. I see it as Aulas trying to extract every single € from the transfer and giving himself every opportunity to get the highest possible price. He originally wanted £16m from a top CL side, and when he realised he wasn't going to get that was unhappy that he couldn't dictate the terms. He didn't have to agree to the price, he didn't have to put up with our shenanigans (if indeed they did take place) but the fact that he did shows that we did come to an agreement. His form on previous transfers shows that he takes his time with transfers. For completeness of information I will say that he has form on quick sales as well like Benzema, but in the main he is renown for being a tough negotiator and one that drags out sales to the point where it ****es off the player. Sounds familiar eh? It's what any good chairman would do.

Sure, on sales. And no one can fault our Danny boy for being an absolute monster when it comes to that bit. On incomings, however...imo, it's a very different story. And as for Aulas, if we agreed on the price and then offered a lower amount, it isn't exactly fair on him to suggest that he didn't need to agree to the price, no? He did, only to find a lower bid faxed over a while later with 'sorry, tough economic times' printed in small font on the bottom. And, either way, it did cost us a lot of time.

Sure, on sales. And no one can fault our Danny boy for being an absolute monster when it comes to that bit. On incomings, however...imo, it's a very different story. And as for Aulas, if we agreed on the price and then offered a lower amount, it isn't exactly fair on him to suggest that he didn't need to agree to the price, no? He did, only to find a lower bid faxed over a while later with 'sorry, tough economic times' printed in small font on the bottom. And, either way, it did cost us a lot of time.

And they still sold him to us. Suggests to me he's just covering his own arse.

Understand that, but as high potential they could easily be holding out for one of the CL teams to make an offer if their offers for De Bruyne etc... do not work out. Man United are in the market for a striker, and could easily buy potential rather than the ready made thing as well.

they maybe holding out for the CL clubs, but none will get much game time at such clubs. They are nowhere near that level.......in fact, im sure they know by recent history that joining Spurs and doing well for a few years is the best route to some big CL clubs;)

And they still sold him to us. Suggests to me he's just covering his own arse.

Ah, but here, to quote the refrain of so many ardent posters, 'we don't know what goes on behind the scenes': so it's equally likely that he's telling the absolute truth, eh? :) It's not hard to imagine a scenario where he promised Lloris that he'd be able to leave once our 'official' bid came in, and then found his hands tied when it finally arrived in its much-reduced form.

Ah, but here, to quote the refrain of so many ardent posters, 'we don't know what goes on behind the scenes': so it's equally likely that he's telling the absolute truth, eh? :) It's not hard to imagine a scenario where he promised Lloris that he'd be able to leave once our 'official' bid came in, and then found his hands tied when it finally arrived in its much-reduced form.

Shouldn't have turned down our initial bid then. ;)

So you and I have agreed that it is the best way to play in player sales. Aulas is simply using Danny boy's tactic. There's nothing that we could do to change it unless we were a CL team and we would be a draw that would mean that the player would throw an epic sulk if not allowed to transfer to us. See Diarra, Essien and Malouda. Even then, Danny boy has shown that means nothing and can and always will drag any sale to the last possible moment just so that he is sure he has extracted maximum value.

they maybe holding out for the CL clubs, but none will get much game time at such clubs. They are nowhere near that level.......in fact, im sure they know by recent history that joining Spurs and doing well for a few years is the best route to some big CL clubs;)

Some players do not give a crap about that. See Rodwell, Sinclair and countless others players that Chelsea, Emirates Marketing Project and Arsenal have signed and then loaned out. Hell Liverpool even did it with Origi.

Some players do not give a crap about that. See Rodwell, Sinclair and countless others players that Chel53a, Emirates Marketing Project and Ar5ena1 have signed and then loaned out. Hell Liverpool even did it with Origi.

well if the ones we are interested in cant see that then they are too stupid for us to even pursue:)

It absolutely is. I'm just saying that what he is saying could be interpreted in another way, and that is more believable to me. As I said before, Aulas has just as much form for dragging out a transfer and that behaviour is perfectly rational and would be the one I choose if some other club wanted one of my best players.

If I were a chairman of Spurs, I would want to get my dealings done as quickly as possible and wouldn't drag out a transfer unnecessarily. However, 3 parties need to agree, and where we are not at the top of the food chain, the two other parties can and will hold out until they know it is the best offer on the table.

So you and I have agreed that it is the best way to play in player sales. Aulas is simply using Danny boy's tactic. There's nothing that we could do to change it unless we were a CL team and we would be a draw that would mean that the player would throw an epic sulk if not allowed to transfer to us. See Diarra, Essien and Malouda. Even then, Danny boy has shown that means nothing and can and always will drag any sale to the last possible moment just so that he is sure he has extracted maximum value.

Oh, absolutely. Contrary to the ardent beliefs of a certain poster hovering around with his familiar catchphrase at the ready, I've never really denied that. However, there are ways those tactics can be overcome by non-CL sides, as the teams around us (Liverpool, for example, who have a wage bill that's 'only' about 1.4 - 1.5 times our own) and even mid-table sides in the PL this season have shown.

It absolutely is. I'm just saying that what he is saying could be interpreted in another way, and that is more believable to me. As I said before, Aulas has just as much form for dragging out a transfer and that behaviour is perfectly rational and would be the one I choose if some other club wanted one of my best players.

If I were a chairman of Spurs, I would want to get my dealings done as quickly as possible and wouldn't drag out a transfer unnecessarily. However, 3 parties need to agree, and where we are not at the top of the food chain, the two other parties can and will hold out until they know it is the best offer on the table.

but you are not Levy........many, not just Spurs fans by the way, think he loves late deals, the later the better. Thats just the wheeler dealer he is

Quite true! Problem is that if that is the case, we would never know! We would just blame the chairman for being tight-fisted ;)

That is being harsh, why would any supporter accuse our chairman of being tight-fisted without any proof or knowledge? Unless of course it is agenda led.

That is being harsh, why would any supporter accuse our chairman of being tight-fisted without any proof or knowledge? Unless of course it is agenda led.

fans have to blame someone and usually the people at the top have to take the flak. It happens at all clubs

Oh, absolutely. Contrary to the ardent beliefs of a certain poster hovering around with his familiar catchphrase at the ready, I've never really denied that. However, there are ways those tactics can be overcome by non-CL sides, as the teams around us (Liverpool, for example, who have a wage bill that's 'only' about 1.4 - 1.5 times our own) and even mid-table sides in the PL this season have shown.

Yes, but 1.5 times is a huge difference! Taking it literally, it is saying to a player you can get 1.5 times the wage by being at Liverpool than you will at Spurs.

if we take Liverpool's signings we have:

1. Benteke - release clause which we know speeds things up;
2. Joe Gomez - release clause;
3. Firmino - £29m with £22m up front. Not many clubs would compete with that and is akin to us getting in Lamela, Soldado knowing that we were going to get a windfall. Kudos to Liverpool for getting it as it is an example of them getting something done quickly;
4. Clyne - £12.5m - Kudos to them. We got Trippier.

but you are not Levy........many, not just Spurs fans by the way, think he loves late deals, the later the better. Thats just the wheeler dealer he is

Yes they do, and I think it is unwarranted on the basis that for every last minute signing there is an early signing that goes against that. Until we become the draw, we will not be able to force clubs to sell to us quickly. Until players see us as the top echelon, they will hold out and through no real fault of his own, he will be labelled with that.

Emirates Marketing Project are struggling getting De Bruyne over the line, Man United have not got their striker, Chelsea are getting Rahman late and plenty of other clubs are also doing some last minute deals. It's not just us, it's just a nature of having a window. I know, whenever I have a deadline, it's very rare that I get things done with plenty of time to spare. Especially when I don't want to get that task done i.e. selling club not Levy spending money :p

Yes, but 1.5 times is a huge difference! Taking it literally, it is saying to a player you can get 1.5 times the wage by being at Liverpool than you will at Spurs.

if we take Liverpool's signings we have:

1. Benteke - release clause which we know speeds things up;
2. Joe Gomez - release clause;
3. Firmino - £29m with £22m up front. Not many clubs would compete with that and is akin to us getting in Lamela, Soldado knowing that we were going to get a windfall. Kudos to Liverpool for getting it as it is an example of them getting something done quickly;
4. Clyne - £12.5m - Kudos to them. We got Trippier.

To put it in perspective, Trippier's release clause stood at 3.5 million quid, and was reported by the papers as early as May. An amount we could easily pay. It still took two to three weeks from the time at which the papers carried news of our interest for that transfer to be concluded, with some people attributing a desire to cheapen even that release clause amount to our last-minute pursuit of Ings (due to that whole 'tribunal fees' business, if I recall correctly: we'd pursue Ings, and then the tribunal would mark up his compensation fee on account of our 'interest', a favor Burnley would supposedly repay by valuing Trippier a mite lower).

Yes, they got Clyne, and we got Trippier (and for what it's worth, I think we got the better deal). But even in those two transfers, the disparities are evident, surely.

Back