• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

I think the biggest problem with Levy and windows is that no-one can ever be sure exactly how much of this is prudence versus the thrill of the game and edging a bargain/winning a battle. I certainly don't know what the balance is anymore, and I have been privy to information over the years from good sources. No-one can be sure at this point. It would appear that we could most certainly have got a couple of Levy's targets earlier in the summer, but somehow have not. Agents? Quibbling over pennies? Who REALLY knows? We have money, that much is clear. But the biggest variable we have to start asking, is how many points do these situations cost us?

Let us say we sign N'jie or Berahino. Maybe both! Would one of those two have made the difference on Saturday? Would both? I think given the shape of the game it is a very fair question to ask. And I wonder how many more points we might drop between now and the end of the window as we prevaricate?

I think Levy has been wonderful for this club, and has performed miracles, but I wonder if he has an addiction to this behavior? Especially given the fact we know he is BACKING this manager and BELIEVES in him. In previous years there has clearly been a divide in policies which has led to a somewhat understandable reluctance to throw money at a slew of older players. But not with Poch. Time will tell...

To put it in perspective, Trippier's release clause stood at 3.5 million quid, and was reported by the papers as early as May. An amount we could easily pay. It still took two to three weeks from the time at which the papers carried news of our interest for that transfer to be concluded, with some people attributing a desire to cheapen even that release clause amount to our last-minute pursuit of Ings (due to that whole 'tribunal fees' business, if I recall correctly: we'd pursue Ings, and then the tribunal would mark up his compensation fee on account of our 'interest', a favor Burnley would supposedly repay by valuing Trippier a mite lower).

Yes, they got Clyne, and we got Trippier (and for what it's worth, I think we got the better deal). But even in those two transfers, the disparities are evident, surely.

Purely press speculation, imho. We got him in time for a full pre-season and ended up paying the release fee. There would have been no advantage in getting him in before pre-season. We could have bid higher than we needed to for Ings to try and cheapen the deal, but it doesn't look like, to me at least, that has been the case. I don't choose to believe press speculation as invariably they don't turn out to be the facts. It is just speculation in the main. What we do know (although not categorically) is that we paid the release clause. In my mind, there is no doubt that Ings chose Liverpool over us because of the wage but that is a different discussion altogether.

I really doubt this will happen now tbh. Him playing means he hasn't asked to leave or refused to play. This means the price will not go down...

And because they rate him and do not want him to go I do not expect the price to go down

I think the biggest problem with Levy and windows is that no-one can ever be sure exactly how much of this is prudence versus the thrill of the game and edging a bargain/winning a battle. I certainly don't know what the balance is anymore, and I have been privy to information over the years from good sources. No-one can be sure at this point. It would appear that we could most certainly have got a couple of Levy's targets earlier in the summer, but somehow have not. Agents? Quibbling over pennies? Who REALLY knows? We have money, that much is clear. But the biggest variable we have to start asking, is how many points do these situations cost us?

Let us say we sign N'jie or Berahino. Maybe both! Would one of those two have made the difference on Saturday? Would both? I think given the shape of the game it is a very fair question to ask. And I wonder how many more points we might drop between now and the end of the window as we prevaricate?

I think Levy has been wonderful for this club, and has performed miracles, but I wonder if he has an addiction to this behavior? Especially given the fact we know he is BACKING this manager and BELIEVES in him. In previous years there has clearly been a divide in policies which has led to a somewhat understandable reluctance to throw money at a slew of older players. But not with Poch. Time will tell...

That could be the case, and I'm not privy to that information. In my heart of hearts, there is probably an element of truth, but I don't believe it to be so bad that it goes against the club's interests which is what is made out in the press and then picked up on here. Our most successful transfers have almost always been early ones as a result of good scouting (Berbatov, Modric, Bale, Lennon) and I don't think Levy is so obstinate that he would seek a bargain/out negotiating another chairman over what is best for this club. After all, we did "over pay" for Paulinho, Soldado, Bentley and others!

As the buyer, the onus is on us to make the first move, I agree. However, there is no onus on the seller to sit down and thrash out a deal unless they have to sell,

IF we really want him the onus is on us to make them an offer they cannot refuse

Absolutely. If we do that though, that is money that could be used to sign someone else. That's the balance that the club has to get right.

Alderweireld took weeks, though. As did Trippier: there were a rush of articles claiming we were close to signing him, and then it took another two weeks before we actually confirmed it.

By contrast, Rondon was linked to West Brom a couple of days ago and was officially signed today.

Yes, we do do deals quickly (Wimmer was a quick one, I agree: as was Alli) at times. And certainly, other clubs probably take their time with some deals as well. However, there are certainly grounds for suggesting that, for us, quick deals are rarer than the ones where we seemingly haggle for weeks on end before finally concluding an often torturous saga that many are just relieved to see end. :p

There was competition for Toby.

We don't know how long WBA have been speaking to Rondon's people or his club. Just because it was only reported recently doesn't mean a thing.

As the buyer, the onus is on us to make the first move, I agree. However, there is no onus on the seller to sit down and thrash out a deal unless they have to sell,

IF we really want him the onus is on us to make them an offer they cannot refuse

What if the player believes a bigger club may come in for him ( in this case City) it will still delay the move.

Alderweireld took weeks, though. As did Trippier: there were a rush of articles claiming we were close to signing him, and then it took another two weeks before we actually confirmed it.

By contrast, Rondon was linked to West Brom a couple of days ago and was officially signed today.

Yes, we do do deals quickly (Wimmer was a quick one, I agree: as was Alli) at times. And certainly, other clubs probably take their time with some deals as well. However, there are certainly grounds for suggesting that, for us, quick deals are rarer than the ones where we seemingly haggle for weeks on end before finally concluding an often torturous saga that many are just relieved to see end. :p
48 hours, to be exact. :)

Absolutely. If we do that though, that is money that could be used to sign someone else. That's the balance that the club has to get right.[/QUOTE]
Gazza it is so much more complicated than that. You're making it sound like someone trying to make the money for the weekly shop go further. We have no idea how much money the club has set aside for striker, but it needs to be a realistic amount to make WBA sell. Also with a young player like berahino you've got to consider how much we will make if he helps us win trophies or if he is so good that we sell him on for a massive profit. Taking the cheaper option everything may actually prove to be less cost effective in the long run. From time to time we need to buy the odd player from the A list if we don't want to continue being also rans

Absolutely. If we do that though, that is money that could be used to sign someone else. That's the balance that the club has to get right.
Gazza it is so much more complicated than that. You're making it sound like someone trying to make the money for the weekly shop go further. We have no idea how much money the club has set aside for striker, but it needs to be a realistic amount to make WBA sell. Also with a young player like berahino you've got to consider how much we will make if he helps us win trophies or if he is so good that we sell him on for a massive profit. Taking the cheaper option everything may actually prove to be less cost effective in the long run. From time to time we need to buy the odd player from the A list if we don't want to continue being also rans[/QUOTE]

Very good point, we've sold players in this window at a loss, that adds up over time.

What if the player believes a bigger club may come in for him ( in this case City) it will still delay the move.

And what if he does? You will not know that until he expressly states that or he turns you down. Then you either try to talk him round and sell him on Spurs or you move on to option B (whatever option B is) simple.

I would love to see this guy in a Spurs shirt. Thought we should have gone for him back in the January window. Very poised and mature for an 18-year old the little I have seen of him.

I've seen one compilation video and I'm sold lol. I actually think that with his size and skillset, he'd be the better option as he could offer the physical option in Kane's absence that Berahino probably couldn't. He's got very good feet too, so playing as the wide forward he'd be at home. Plus he's reportedly available for £10 million, which is probably half what WBA want for Berahino.

I would love to see this guy in a Spurs shirt. Thought we should have gone for him back in the January window. Very poised and mature for an 18-year old the little I have seen of him.

Plus he's got a sexy sounding foreign name.

Gazza it is so much more complicated than that. You're making it sound like someone trying to make the money for the weekly shop go further. We have no idea how much money the club has set aside for striker, but it needs to be a realistic amount to make WBA sell. Also with a young player like berahino you've got to consider how much we will make if he helps us win trophies or if he is so good that we sell him on for a massive profit. Taking the cheaper option everything may actually prove to be less cost effective in the long run. From time to time we need to buy the odd player from the A list if we don't want to continue being also rans[/QUOTE]

You're right it is more complicated than that. It could be that we have £30m for signings and need to strengthen 2-3 positions. In securing any one of those players, you need to think about how that will affect the budget on the remaining two. That is why the transfer window is so complicated and takes time to really settle down, because it is a chain.

Insofar as it is like someone trying to make the money for the weekly shop go farther, that is exactly what we are doing. We will have a budget that is for not just one player but for a bunch of positions. Whether that means we get the star striker plus above average other players, or star defender or any other combination is down to securing our targets. This is precisely one of those reasons why transfers will take longer. Add to that a stadium to fund, and is it any wonder that Levy is really making every pound work harder?

WBA have not rejected a bid afaik. WBA have not come out and said we have made a derisory bid, yet this is what people are choosing to believe i.e. that it is penny pinching that is delaying the deal to sign Berahino. I'm saying it is not and could be any one of a number of other options because it is so much more complicated than that. No one will know who is right apart from those in the club themselves, but I'm just putting my opinion across and disagreeing with those that say that it is penny pinching.

Back