• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

Isn't it funny that we used to beg for the transfer window to extend whenever we can't sign the players we want by then. Even if there is risk of our players being sold, don't mind the transfer window to stay open until September 1, which is 2 weeks after the season starts. We can use the 2 weeks to analyse the squad and strengthen the team if needed. Remember we used to make signings on the last day of the transfer window for most of the last decade.

Everyone has to manage for the rest of the season (bar January when the window re-opens) so I don't see why teams couldn't cope for an extra 2 or 3 games.

We lost Ardiles & Villa for a while.

Ossie went to PSG on loan and Villa never returned.

Thanks for the info. Didn't know it affected us that much. Thought we had a good enough squad even without both Ardiles and Villa that time.

Talks break down over Gareth Bale as Tottenham question Real Madrid's ability fund world-record transfer

Daniel Levy refused to meet Real Madrid for a second time this week, on Thursday, after the Tottenham Hotspur chairman expressed serious reservations over whether the Spanish club possess the funds to buy Gareth Bale.

Spurs have grown increasingly frustrated with Real’s confused stance with strong suggestions that their president, Florentino Pérez, has not even made a formal offer for the Wales international.

There is also a sense at Spurs that Real are involved in a crude game of brinkmanship and might be hoping to take the deal down to the end of the transfer window, on Sept 2, in the hope that Bale can force a move.

However, this will lead Levy to become only more entrenched, as he did when Luka Modric tried to agitate for a move to Chelsea two years ago.

Figures of £80 million-plus have been suggested by Real sources for Bale, who Spurs are believed to value at £104 million, but no formal bid has been received.

More pressingly, Spurs are now convinced that Real do not have the money to buy Bale and certainly not on the terms that they would demand.

Spurs are not interested in the suggestion that payments could be stretched over the term of the six-year contract Real are proposing for Bale.

Levy was persuaded to meet Pérez on Tuesday after the Real president suggested he was prepared to adjust the informal bid he had put in for Bale last month to reflect a cash-plus-players deal.

The talks broke down quickly, however, with Spurs judging that the significant valuations that Real were placing on their players – striker Álvaro Morata, winger Ángel di María and left-back Fabio Coentrao – were inflated.

Spurs would want at least two of the players discussed should they sell Bale, having decided that simply having money in the bank is of no benefit to them.

The Premier League club are anxious that if the 24-year-old is sold then they do not want to weaken themselves on the pitch.

Despite the breakdown of Tuesday’s meeting, Real requested more talks to take place in Miami on Thursday.

The offer was flatly refused by Levy, who is not sure about the seriousness of Real’s intent to sign Bale.

Pérez appeared to claim, on Thursday, that Real had cooled their interest although, evidently, his words were a bargaining position, given he has promised coach Carlo Ancelotti that Bale will be signed this summer.

“We talk with lots of people and will see what happens in all our negotiations with Bale,” he said.

“We do not usually talk about other players out of respect to the player, the club and the president with whom I have a good relationship.

"If I do talk about names, I do not talk about money, but £100 million seems a lot to me.”

At the same time, Pérez is under increasing pressure in Spain, where there is nervousness at the scale of the offer for Bale and also how he would fit into the Real team and a powerful dressing room.

Despite Bale’s desire to leave – and he is unlikely to feature in tomorrow’s final pre-season friendly at home to Spanish club Espanyol, citing injury – and Real’s interest, Levy remains determined to obtain his valuation.

Even if Spurs did agree a players-plus-cash deal, Real would still have to persuade their players to leave. Coentrao is understood to be keen to join Spurs but it is less clear that either Di Marií or Morata, a Spain Under-21 international striker, would want to go.

Tottenham head coach Andre Villas-Boas could also attempt to capitalise on the uncertainty at Anzhi Makhachkala to finally sign the Brazilian attacking midfielder Willian, whom he has twice previously tried to bring to the Premier League.

Willian is believed to want to leave the troubled Russian club who he joined only in January, although Spurs may have to bid close to the £35 million that was demanded earlier this year by his previous club, Shakhtar Donetsk.

Spurs’ latest signing is French international Étienne Capoue, with the midfielder’s current club, Toulouse, having revealed that a fee of £8.6  million has been agreed for the 24-year-old.

His signing will add to the acquisition of striker Roberto Soldado, from Valencia, for a fee that could rise to a record £26 million, the £17 million capture of Brazilian international midfielder Paulinho and the signing of Belgium international midfielder Nacer Chadli from Dutch club FC Twente for £7 million.

Having sold Steven Caulker to Cardiff City for £8 million Spurs are also quoting clubs £10 million should they want to acquire winger Andros Townsend and £8 million for midfielder Jake Livermore.

More realistically, it is likely that Scott Parker and Benoît Assou-Ekotto could be among the departures.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/10232239/Talks-break-down-over-Gareth-Bale-as-Tottenham-question-Real-Madrids-ability-fund-world-record-transfer.html

Isn't it funny that we used to beg for the transfer window to extend whenever we can't sign the players we want by then. Even if there is risk of our players being sold, don't mind the transfer window to stay open until September 1, which is 2 weeks after the season starts. We can use the 2 weeks to analyse the squad and strengthen the team if needed. Remember we used to make signings on the last day of the transfer window for most of the last decade.

It's open until 2nd September this year, because of the weekend.

I thought Ade had agreed a move to Besiktas? We do need to get his wages off the bill if we are to stand any chance of tying Bale to a new contract once this whole saga is over. Real look like they're trying to back away, and Levy looks like he's pressing the attack (100 million plus TWO players, according to Jason Burt), so in the end Bale staying looks like a very distinct possibility.

I was looking forward to Game of Thrones but some nitwit tried to ruin it the other night.........

only joking J.

You'll forget all about it by the time it starts up. Besides, I never said anything about what will happen and who knows with the changes they've started to incorporate. You should all read the books anyway, or at least do as I do and skim through them.

Wonder if we can get this thread to 1,000 pages before the window closes?

You'll forget all about it by the time it starts up. Besides, I never said anything about what will happen and who knows with the changes they've started to incorporate. You should all read the books anyway, or at least do as I do and skim through them.

Wonder if we can get this thread to 1,000 pages before the window closes?

Hmmmmm that's kind of hard to just forget.

Someone should organize getting 10,000 punters and schoolkids to turn up outside the Lane, holding signs and chanting "Stay, Bale, stay!"

What's missing in all this is the voice of Spurs suppprters. We have Spanish media, British media, football execs and pundits, all blabbing on day in and day out. And now a poll of RM fans. Rather than passively watching and waiting, I think a visible and vocal showing of support would be a strong statement - to Spurs, to Bale, and to RM. We need to stand up and be counted.

Someone should organize getting 10,000 punters and schoolkids to turn up outside the Lane, holding signs and chanting "Stay, Bale, stay!"

What's missing in all this is the voice of Spurs suppprters. We have Spanish media, British media, football execs and pundits, all blabbing on day in and day out. And now a poll of RM fans. Rather than passively watching and waiting, I think a visible and vocal showing of support would be a strong statement - to Spurs, to Bale, and to RM. We need to stand up and be counted.

The 1882 group would be a good bet, if you can get them onboard. They coordinate their activities with the club, so they can pull this sort of thing off more effectively than 200 random punters showing up at Hotspur Way one sunny morning.

Haha, love this stuff, Levy is my hero, he's tinkling all over Perez.

"There are plenty of interesting stories in today’s newspapers, with the Daily Star reporting that the Gareth Bale transfer saga took a new twist last night when it emerged that Tottenham had snubbed a meeting with Real Madrid. Real president Florentino Perez was expecting to meet Daniel Levy in Miami for their first face-to-face talks about the Welshman, but it is reported that the Spurs chairman backed out at the last minute."

Haha, love this stuff, Levy is my hero, he's tinkling all over Perez.

"There are plenty of interesting stories in today’s newspapers, with the Daily Star reporting that the Gareth Bale transfer saga took a new twist last night when it emerged that Tottenham had snubbed a meeting with Real Madrid. Real president Florentino Perez was expecting to meet Daniel Levy in Miami for their first face-to-face talks about the Welshman, but it is reported that the Spurs chairman backed out at the last minute."

What, I thought they had met at least three times already, if earlier media reports have been accurate. :-k

Back