• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

It really is. That is exactly what happened in the Modric to Chelsea saga 2 years ago.

EDIT: And Modric was openly asking for a move, Bale has said nothing of the sort. Only that he would listen to Madrid if we accepted their offer. What pretty much any player in the world would say.

No, you give them a long contract and sell them with 2 years left, like we did with Modric, Berba and probably Carrick too.

The circumstances have to be in our favor for us to be able to 'make' a player stay - hence Berbatov and Carrick both leaving in the first windows they wanted moves and why since then we do our best to regularly lengthen players contracts.

But the original point stands that it's never as simple as just making then stay.

so where are we in the grand scheme of things in terms of player recruitment.....

no we cant offer ucl but we can offer a potential route there as we are close to top 4 we can also offer players exposure in one of the best leagues in the world challenging at towards the top end of the table.

I think we are a stepping stone club but so is everyone who is not barca or real madrid, bayern......maybe manu.

To me the most important thing is to analyse our squad and identify weakness and address it. we dont need to spend mega bucks imo..

perhaps we not sure whether to admit it but most people see Bale as an elite player....

yes he is in top 5 in the world.. he is amazing.......with just a little more hunger/desire/quality around him we are looking good.

if he goes I worry most of the money goes to new stadium....... the gareth bale stand....

but we need the stadium so I guess I may have to accept that we could go backwards next season.

If arse dont learn the lessons and spend then more fool them. chelsea & city will improve. United is a big ? but I cant see them imploding.

Of course you're right, but there are plenty of players (the Coutinhos, Michus and Bentekes) who the big clubs do not snap up. We just need to be brave enough to buy abroad and trust our scouts/AVB enough for the signings to make the right impact. All the players you mention either had large reputations or were proven in the PL, while we are not in the CL these players will be out of reach, but this does not mean that all players better than what we currently have are.

Also, Sturridge was once one of those young players, at some point these players get fed up and want out (Ade did too). There is plenty of quality in the scraps discarded by the scummy clubs you mentioned as well as the players they don't manage to get their hands on.

Agreed there we should definitely be looking abroad and we have had good success for the most part recently when we have. As for getting quality from Chelsea I would doubt they would sell to us but if Levy isn't at least inquiring about someone like Lukaku he isn't doing his job

I guess it goes back to losing Waddle and then signing Lineker. We never seem leaps in progress when we sign a top player after losing one, because we never seem to get where we want to be. Imagine having Waddle, Gazza and Lineker in the same team or having Berbatov, Modric and Carrick in the same team. How about we keep what we have and then add to it, how else are we ever going to rise above the occasional 4th place finish?

This. For the past few years, much like the 1980s, we've been a couple of players short of having a team capable of challenging for the title but we always seem to have to sell our star asset in order to fund the purchase of the pieces of the jigsaw we needed before he left. I appreciate the fact that we can't stop the very top teams from luring away our star players but it would be nice to at least have one glorious title / double winning season, like the Scum managed at the start of Wenger' reign, before the vultures pick apart our team.

The circumstances have to be in our favor for us to be able to 'make' a player stay - hence Berbatov and Carrick both leaving in the first windows they wanted moves and why since then we do our best to regularly lengthen players contracts.

But the original point stands that it's never as simple as just making then stay.

Pretty sure Berba was linked away the season before we sold him and was rumoured to have asked to leave at the end of the summer 2007 window?

In Bale's case it certainly is... we already have the long contract in place, we are in the position of power. We can afford to say no this summer and have a proper go at CL qualification next year.

In general, obviously we can't just make players stay, but by taking the right precautions we can make them stay for a few years, and then when they leave it'll be on our terms.

My heart says he stays (for one more season), my head says his agent is turning him towards a big money move now.

Levy has to play hardball and not let him leave this summer, but finances being as they are Levy could well accept a 60m plus offer if it means we can replace Bale with 3 quality players.

Which leaves me in no mans land- I so want my beloved spurs to make that step up but every time we get close we sell our best player and we have to start over. Feel for AVB, if levy doesn't back him this summer I'd be surprised if he is here for long.

My heart says he stays (for one more season), my head says his agent is turning him towards a big money move now.

Levy has to play hardball and not let him leave this summer, but finances being as they are Levy could well accept a 60m plus offer if it means we can replace Bale with 3 quality players.

Which leaves me in no mans land- I so want my beloved spurs to make that step up but every time we get close we sell our best player and we have to start over. Feel for AVB, if levy doesn't back him this summer I'd be surprised if he is here for long.

Joe Lewis' total wealth is estimated at $4.2 billion, and he is listed as the 308th richest person of Forbes’ List of billionaires (2013). Forbes reports Lewis is the ninth wealthiest person in Britain.

No way do Spurs need the money. We should be a buying club not a selling club. There is no way that Bale can be sold.

And when their contract runs out and you have no money to buy a replacement?

And when other players see how you treat the players under your employment and decide not to go and 'become stuck at Tottenham'?

It really isn't that simple in real life.

when their contract runs out? Just means you dont know how levy operates...how often has that happened to a prized asset? never i would say

"And when other players see how you treat the players under your employment and decide not to go and 'become stuck at Tottenham'?" We do this all the time and still we have players queuing to use us as a stepping ladder. a Non issue

Levy is the man , the modric saga showed levy had balls of steel and fire..all these little things people like us worry about doesnt phase a top negotiator and business man.

Bale needs to grow and develop at Spurs. He could play at Madrid but he's better off learning, developing his passing and teamwork and growing as a player. He's 23. I think it would make sense for him to stay at Spurs for now.

when their contract runs out? Just means you dont know how levy operates...how often has that happened to a prized asset? never i would say

"And when other players see how you treat the players under your employment and decide not to go and 'become stuck at Tottenham'?" We do this all the time and still we have players queuing to use us as a stepping ladder. a Non issue

Levy is the man , the modric saga showed levy had balls of steel and fire..all these little things people like us worry about doesnt phase a top negotiator and business man.

This. Coupled with the fact that Bale will not behave like Modric did puts Levy in an even stronger position.

I believe man. I believe!

Joe Lewis' total wealth is estimated at $4.2 billion, and he is listed as the 308th richest person of Forbes’ List of billionaires (2013). Forbes reports Lewis is the ninth wealthiest person in Britain.

No way do Spurs need the money. We should be a buying club not a selling club. There is no way that Bale can be sold.

All clubs sell AND buy players, Every single one.

Our net spend will never exceed our income, that's how we are run. As our wages have gone up our net spend has gone down in recent years. We do not have the money to both keep our star players on lucrative contracts and continue to spend big, so occasionally we have to sell someone, preferably at an exorbitant price, to fund further investment. Unless you have virtually unlimited income like Real or ManU or a sugar daddy, that is how football in the big leagues work.

Jesus, reading the last 10 pages of this thread was like watching an episode of Eastenders.

Bale has no intention of leaving. So he will not leave. Madrid can play all the games they like, but they aren't getting him.

Chill out.

Impossible for some mate, just the way people are wired I suppose...I agree BUT i suppose some people find the hand-wringing entertaining. All good unless someone gets injured! :lol:

The most predictable transfer of the summer. Plus it's ACTUALLY a fit in terms of what RM could really do with seeing as Ronaldo is staying...

Bale, Ronaldo and Suarez would be awesome.

IF we were to sell Bale to those ****s then id like either Higuain or Benzema as part of the deal i.e. 60m plsu either of those two. The thing is we would then need to think about the supply line to them.

If we sell Bale we might as well forget about the top 4 next season. He is by a long way the best player at Spurs since the glory glory days of the 1960's and we must keep him at the club. We should be building our team around Bale and who knows we could be champions next season. If this happens the rewards would be far more than the paltry £60 million being spoken about from Real Madrid. So Daniel Levy just tell them to fudge off!

Spot on.
People who think this has not already been discussed, at great length by the people who matter, are in cuckoo land...I stopped listening to people like Adrian Durham months ago, not because I don't find him entertaining (I do!) but simply because i didn't want to be a reason he succeeds!

Bale, Ronaldo and Suarez would be awesome.

IF we were to sell Bale to those ****s then id like either Higuain or Benzema as part of the deal i.e. 60m plsu either of those two. The thing is we would then need to think about the supply line to them.

Again, logic must prevail.

Bale and Ronaldo in the same side simply would not work in practice. Both look for the same spaces, both like to make the same moves...plus if Bale goes in a year or so, he will go wanting to know he is going to be given every chance to succeed on the pitch at RM. I frankly cannot see any advantage to him as a footballer going there this season. Fortunately I think he knows that too.

He has become a global superstar with Tottenham Hotspur. Modric became a star at Spurs too, and look what happened to him. These factors have already been calculated by all. Barnet is doing what agents do and pushing for dosh. It's all fine!

Back