• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

I guess it goes back to losing Waddle and then signing Lineker. We never seem leaps in progress when we sign a top player after losing one, because we never seem to get where we want to be. Imagine having Waddle, Gazza and Lineker in the same team or having Berbatov, Modric and Carrick in the same team. How about we keep what we have and then add to it, how else are we ever going to rise above the occasional 4th place finish?

Spot on. This is why I think unless we are offered a silly amount of money that could replace Bale and more (i.e. fund two top class signings plus wages - £80m+), Levy will just say no.

I know, it is frustrating, but im sure you realize it isn't as simple as just saying 'you're staying'

Im sure we will be looking to improve the team regardless of what happens re Bale. I think it's highly unlikely Levy believed the squad at the end of last summers window was balanced or in any way complete, im sure also that he knew we would need to bring in at least a striker and a playmaker this summer.

Im not hurting as much as you seem to be - until the new stadium is in place we cannot compete at the same level as Arsenal so im prepared to wait until then. However, we CAN build a team good enough to overtake them if we play it smart in the market - we should have finished 3rd under Redknapp with the team we had built and we were very close this season with what id consider a weaker team - so a good summer in the transfer market could see us in with an even better chance.

lol I agree and I cant tell you how much to hurt obviously.

even if spurs fall to mid table nothingness i will always keep coming back to whl.

Roy keane can be a prize bell end but his drive to suceed his winning mentality as a player was something i always admired.

united responded because they hurt like hell after city won the title.

I would love us to respond I would love us to improve on last season.

I hope we do some good business and i hope the next few months go quick as i want to see us back in action.

i admire your patience...... but im my mind there is no point in having a stossy stadium unless you have a team worthy of playing in it.

Yep what doesnt kill you makes you stronger I just feel we can do things that are not impossible beyond our reach that would improve our chances alot.

If you put Bale into another side you don't automatically add 20 goals, he will be replacing someone who is already contributing.

I can't see how having Bale or not matters one bit for the players we want to sign. It's the standing of the club and how much money that's on offer that matters. We are currently just below Arsenal, but above Liverpool in terms of attractiveness IMO. But as we saw with Vertonghen, we can get players to choose us ahead of the scum if the deal is right for the them.

Well I assume that's because Vertonghen was assured of a pivotal role at Spurs having just lost King, whereas Arsenal already had some settled, first-choice CBs in Vermaelen and Koscielny along with Mertesacker. The only thing we have on the scum this summer, like with the signing of Vertonghen, is the fact that we are glarly weak in areas that they are not (apart from up front maybe, although Sanogo may prove to be Wenger's answer to that problem after Giroud's good form in the second half of the season).

Bale now has a reputation as one of the top 10 footballers in the world (whether that is accurate or not) and he seems on the road to superstardom. Looking back on their career players will want to have played with one of the greats of the game, which Bale could well become. More generally, losing Bale signals a lack of ambition to other players, that we do not intend to fight for titles in the coming years. Bale is in a rare class of players who can win matches and trophies through their individual talent, having him at the club allows us to market ourselves as potential title contenders rather than pretenders to CL qualification.

I know, it is frustrating, but im sure you realize it isn't as simple as just saying 'you're staying'

It really is. That is exactly what happened in the Modric to Chelsea saga 2 years ago.

EDIT: And Modric was openly asking for a move, Bale has said nothing of the sort. Only that he would listen to Madrid if we accepted their offer. What pretty much any player in the world would say.

It really is. That is exactly what happened in the Modric to Chelsea saga 2 years ago.

And when their contract runs out and you have no money to buy a replacement?

And when other players see how you treat the players under your employment and decide not to go and 'become stuck at Tottenham'?

It really isn't that simple in real life.

And when their contract runs out and you have no money to buy a replacement?

And when other players see how you treat the players under your employment and decide not to go and 'become stuck at Tottenham'?

It really isn't that simple in real life.

No, you give them a long contract and sell them with 2 years left, like we did with Modric, Berba and probably Carrick too.

We have always respected players' ambitions, but asked that they respect ours also. The contract gives us leverage over both them and other clubs, but ultimately when only 2 years remain we have to sell, otherwise the price will drop dramatically the next summer, as happened with all of Arsenal's best players. What our past tells other players is that if they are world class with 2 years remaining on their contract and we will not be in the CL next season, they will always be able to force a move that summer, it will just take a while as we negotiate an eye-watering fee.

Moreover, players who move to us will generally not be in a position to reject us on such grounds. They will likely be unable to go to any CL club and thus will have to take a punt on the best stepping-stone available. Our best players have consistently gone on to play for Man United and Real Madrid, Spurs are one of the biggest stepping-stones in world football at the moment.

Moreover, players who move to us will generally not be in a position to reject us on such grounds. They will likely be unable to go to any CL club and thus will have to take a punt on the best stepping-stone available. Our best players have consistently gone on to play for Man United and Real Madrid, Spurs are one of the biggest stepping-stones in world football at the moment.

yup dont like it but true.

it hurts being so close really fkin hurts and I dont even think we have to go out and spend silly money...... in order to be 5-10 points better off next season what do you think needs to be done?????

I hear you dude, just imagine what we could have done last season if we had a player like Beneteke who was only £8m

Any young player with a knowledge of our recent history will surely note 2 things:

1) With some luck we might actually become CL regulars, where all these potential signings want to end up.
2) We have let 3 vital players go for large fees recently, if you are good enough you will be allowed to leave.

Nearly every young player coming to us will do so because either no CL teams want them or they would not be regulars in any of the CL teams that do want them. They will hope that in a couple of years they can start playing every season in the CL. By coming to Tottenham they can achieve this. But if we don't manage it and they still shine, we have a history of letting players go with 2 years remaining on their contract.

Surely we are the perfect stepping-stone club?
You are leaving out the most vital factor MONEY! Chelsea and City and clubs of that ilk just offer silly wages and that usually trumps all logic. Half the time they just sign someone so nobody else can get them. Look at Lukaku, De Bruyne, Moses, Sinclair, Rodwell. Those players all had big reputations and careers heading in the right direction. Instead take the money and be a bit part player/loanee

yup dont like it but true.

Provided we keep Bale it's actually a good thing IMO. I mean, if none of the top clubs in world football want you, Spurs are one of the most attractive prospects in the next group down.

It means if we are lucky and alert enough we can essentially hoover up all the players other teams in the league will be chasing. Liverpool wanted Dempsey and Sig but we got them instead. They also got Sturridge and Coutinho, while Swansea got Michu and Villa got Benteke. All 4 of these players would have been great additions to our squad and I reckon if we really wanted them we could have gotten them. There are plenty of players out there who could both improve us significantly and would love to come to us, we just need to make sure we muscle out the smaller clubs as we so regularly have been muscled out on our targets by the bigger clubs in our league.

Both Bale and our status as 'top stepping-stone' will help us in doing this.

No, you give them a long contract and sell them with 2 years left, like we did with Modric, Berba and probably Carrick too.

We have always respected players' ambitions, but asked that they respect ours also. The contract gives us leverage over both them and other clubs, but ultimately when only 2 years remain we have to sell, otherwise the price will drop dramatically the next summer, as happened with all of Arsenal's best players. What our past tells other players is that if they are world class with 2 years remaining on their contract and we will not be in the CL next season, they will always be able to force a move that summer, it will just take a while as we negotiate an eye-watering fee.

If they have thoughts of greater things in the future they wouldn't sign a longer contract to begin with, plus that's not going to stop them leaving. They just have to refuse to play and then you're screwed.

There are plenty of other 'stepping stone' sides out there. It's a bit arrogant to suggest we are the best one available.

You are leaving out the most vital factor MONEY! Chelsea and City and clubs of that ilk just offer silly wages and that usually trumps all logic. Half the time they just sign someone so nobody else can get them. Look at Lukaku, De Bruyne, Moses, Sinclair, Rodwell. Those players all had big reputations and careers heading in the right direction. Instead take the money and be a bit part player/loanee

Of course you're right, but there are plenty of players (the Coutinhos, Michus and Bentekes) who the big clubs do not snap up. We just need to be brave enough to buy abroad and trust our scouts/AVB enough for the signings to make the right impact. All the players you mention either had large reputations or were proven in the PL, while we are not in the CL these players will be out of reach, but this does not mean that all players better than what we currently have are.

Also, Sturridge was once one of those young players, at some point these players get fed up and want out (Ade did too). There is plenty of quality in the scraps discarded by the scummy clubs you mentioned as well as the players they don't manage to get their hands on.

If they have thoughts of greater things in the future they wouldn't sign a longer contract to begin with, plus that's not going to stop them leaving. They just have to refuse to play and then you're screwed.

There are plenty of other 'stepping stone' sides out there. It's a bit arrogant to suggest we are the best one available.

Players always sign 4 year contracts at the least with us. Modric signed a 6 year one.

You talk about Spurs getting a bad rep for letting players go - but what club wants to sign a player who flat out refuses to play? I know Modric tried that for a couple of games but he came back into the side again.

Name me a few better prospects than Spurs? Especially for players in the postions where we are in desperately need of strengthening the first team (ST, WF, CM). Yes we may have our equivalents in Spain, Italy, etc. but players suited to English football will have few better options.

Players always sign 4 year contracts at the least with us. Modric signed a 6 year one.

You talk about Spurs getting a bad rep for letting players go - but what club wants to sign a player who flat out refuses to play? I know Modric tried that for a couple of games but he came back into the side again.

Name me a few better prospects than Spurs? Especially for players in the postions where we are in desperately need of strengthening the first team (ST, WF, CM). Yes we may have our equivalents in Spain, Italy, etc. but players suited to English football will have few better options.

Top clubs would all buy players that refuse to play. Generally because the player is refusing to play so he can move to them. Modric, Berbatov, Tevez, Even Squillaci, yet Arsenal still played him.

And your third point is all about moving goalposts.

Firstly 'Surely we are the perfect stepping-stone club?'

But now it's the best stepping stone club for players who play in a certain way in certain positions, but they might also have better options?

Top clubs would all buy players that refuse to play. Generally because the player is refusing to play so he can move to them. Modric, Berbatov, Tevez, Even Squillaci, yet Arsenal still played him.

And your third point is all about moving goalposts.

Firstly 'Surely we are the perfect stepping-stone club?'

But now it's the best stepping stone club for players who play in a certain way in certain positions, but they might have better options?

The suitability of different clubs is different for every player.

If a club is not looking for a certain type of player, or is already well-stocked in a position, players in that position will be more reluctant to join.

There is not some FM-esque 'reputation' figure that denotes how much any player in the world would want to join us. Of course we appeal more to strikers than goalkeepers as a stepping stone to the big time, but that's partly because we aren't looking for goalkeepers. Similarly the strikers we do look at need to be a physical presence as our league requires that, hence we are not going to be looking at frail strikers and they are not going to be looking at moves to Spurs/ the PL in general.

Even taking the broadest, most simplistic possible view, I think Spurs would rank above nearly every non-CL team in the world in a general 'reputation' value based on other players' perceptions.

So again I ask, who ranks above Spurs? Even in these simplistic terms?

And you cannot dismiss my point that clubs do not want players who refuse to play without simultaneously dismissing your own point that players will not sign for us due to our transfer history. Just like Modric, Berbs etc. still got their moves, we still signed Dembele, Vertonghen, Lloris, etc.

(There are a lot more important factors in transfers than both a player refusing to play and how a club has dealt with wantaway players in the past)

Back