• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Feeling very 'flat' for the new season

Since the events of lasagnegate I've not reached the levels of excitement I felt in the past. Get this feeling that it's just not meant to work out for us. Then add in all the sugardaddy clubs and cheating ****s that play the game these days and the fun is not there anymore.

This is a good point. I think people do need to be patient, and AVB needs time. The current squad does not fit the playing style, formation and system he is looking to implement and it may not for a couple of years. He needs time to put it all together. I hope we're a little more adventurous during this transition period though. Both games have been dull as dishwater to watch!

This i absolutely agree with. But consdering this it is unsurprising some would be concerned with how this window has gone. I assumed, perhaps naively, that AVB and Levy would have a much clearer vision of what they wanted to than currently seems the case. When AVB said he wanted a great deal of the transfer business done before the end of pre-season I believed him because it made sense. Sure the window is difficult, but there are too many questions about how we are doing our business to be confident right now. That said, I am not currently concerned, I like AVB's ideas even if I worry he might be too rigid considering the personnel issue you identify.

Last edited:
I guess there lies the differences. I thought we were poor yesterday. And I thought the match against Saudi Sportswashing Machine both teams looked poor. We haven't played well yet and I am concerned that players I rate higher than those being picked for the first team are being sold off.

As you point out this is the best squad we've had for years. Because Modric is on our books, this squad is even stronger than last years and yet we look disjointed, disorganised and unfit. It's a concern.

We didn't look disjointed until the last quarter when changes were made. I definitely don't think we were disorganised if anything I thought we were ultra-organised, very rigid and pressed as a team. I'm sorry but WBA didn't get a kick in the first half and that doesn't happen if we're not organised. I think the fitness of some of our players is a concern. VDV in paticular. But pretty much everyone who has had a proper pre-season looked fit to me.

Thing is you can say what you like about the game fact is the only real reason we drew was every team in the premiership has a spell when they're on top no matter how dominated or inferior they are. WBA had their time in the last 15 mins and scored. We should have been out of sight by then and their goal should have been a consolation not an equaliser. We missed clear cut chances in the first half in particular and got punished

strange that Anti harry sentiment should creep in already.

Is he really to blame for this?

My empathy with the OP is down to the fact that the general play is good in fits and starts, and that there is far too little flair and creativity to orchestrate and inspire the performing players.

That and, as I have said, Levy power plays over transfers, rather than getting the job done and Modric replaced

Any comparisons making 1 point from 6 a step up, given who we played in the first 2 games last season are specious

We didn't look disjointed until the last quarter when changes were made. I definitely don't think we were disorganised if anything I thought we were ultra-organised, very rigid and pressed as a team. I'm sorry but WBA didn't get a kick in the first half and that doesn't happen if we're not organised. I think the fitness of some of our players is a concern. VDV in paticular. But pretty much everyone who has had a proper pre-season looked fit to me.

Thing is you can say what you like about the game fact is the only real reason we drew was every team in the premiership has a spell when they're on top no matter how dominated or inferior they are. WBA had their time in the last 15 mins and scored. We should have been out of sight by then and their goal should have been a consolation not an equaliser. We missed clear cut chances in the first half in particular and got punished

We'll have to agree to disagree. My view was quite low down yesterday, but I did watch it when I got home on Football First too. I don't really think we created much at all, although in the first half we did have decent possession without really doing much with it. We looked very shaky at the back all match IMHO, it was just that the backline didn't come under any real sustained pressure until we went defensive and invited them on to us.

My empathy with the OP is down to the fact that the general play is good in fits and starts, and that there is far too little flair and creativity to orchestrate and inspire the performing players.

That and, as I have said, Levy power plays over transfers, rather than getting the job done and Modric replaced

Any comparisons making 1 point from 6 a step up, given who we played in the first 2 games last season are specious

Reminds me of political debates where people blame an administration that were in charge 25 years ago for the woes of today :lol: Irrespective of what the discussion is about, people don't like be shown to be wrong (not saying they are in this case, it's far too early to tell) and are just covering their bases early in case things do go wrong.

I think if we didnt change manager we would be going through transition now anyway.

Between the end of last season and the beginning of this we lost the spine of the side in King, Modric, Parker (to injury) and Adebayor.

There was always an element that needed to be be moved on/replaced.

With or without a change in management and system I still think the beginning of this season would be much like it is now, a little up and down.

The Levy stuff, a part of me is sure he his has his share of the blame, but honestly I suspect given our finances it kind of has to be this way...

To be honest i hope very shortly all talk of Harry Redknapp ceases to exist from both sides. For all the disagreements we've all had on whether it was the right decision to get rid or not its done now. I can understand why comparisons are being made currently as it hasn't been long since he was sacked and replace by AVB but we all need to move on. AVB is now the man in charge, it hasn't been a flying start to the season, we haven't got a complete squad, we can improve, there have been some positives. Time will tell whether Levy made the right decision or not. Its futile in my opinion discussing the same things over and over again.

To be honest i hope very shortly all talk of Harry Redknapp ceases to exist from both sides. For all the disagreements we've all had on whether it was the right decision to get rid or not its done now. I can understand why comparisons are being made currently as it hasn't been long since he was sacked and replace by AVB but we all need to move on. AVB is now the man in charge, it hasn't been a flying start to the season, we haven't got a complete squad, we can improve, there have been some positives. Time will tell whether Levy made the right decision or not. Its futile in my opinion discussing the same things over and over again.

It will never happen, because the present will always be judged on the past. Not just Redknapp, but Ramos, Jol and all of them before them.

I think that people who think we haven't got a complete squad may be somewhat disappointed come the end of the transfer window. AVB has already said we aren't in the market for another striker and I am not entirely convinced that Modric will be replaced or that there are any plans to replace him. Livermore/Parker/Sandro with VDV/Sigurdsson in front of them appears to be our midfield for this season. I do believe that we're probably in the market for another winger though to provide cover/replace Lennon.

Been supporting Spurs for......over 30 years now (brick) and I think this is the first time where I'm a little bit 'meh' about the season.

I can't put my finger on the reason why, but I just don't get that excited thinking about what we may or may not achieve in the coming season. Maybe it's the introduction of AVB, though I'm not sure why that may be considering the seasons only 2 games old. Though seeing two defensive midfielders against WBA at home was a little disconcerting, but I do appreciate that this is probably out of AVB's hands due to the Modric situation. But must admit that I'd have preferred to see Huddlestone in their giving some creativity.

I'm sure this will pass, and in a few weeks time I will be as rabid about games as normal, getting up at 4am to watch European games midweek etc.

I'm feeling sort of the same way... for me its the high degree of uncertainty that hasn't allowed me to "take a position" to build my opinions on. So I can't have any real emotional stakes in the game at the moment, but trust it will all clear up in a week's time.

It will never happen, because the present will always be judged on the past. Not just Redknapp, but Ramos, Jol and all of them before them.

I think that people who think we haven't got a complete squad may be somewhat disappointed come the end of the transfer window. AVB has already said we aren't in the market for another striker and I am not entirely convinced that Modric will be replaced or that there are any plans to replace him. Livermore/Parker/Sandro with VDV/Sigurdsson in front of them appears to be our midfield for this season. I do believe that we're probably in the market for another winger though to provide cover/replace Lennon.

I don't disagree with you, it is to be expected. The main thing that i find tedious is the same circular arguments pop up time and time again, everyone ends up saying the same thing they said a month or 2 ago without variation.

I am actually concerned when it comes to our transfer business. I would have thought after the start to last seasons lessons would be learnt and when we made the earlyish signings of Sigurdsson and Vertonghen i was hopeful that we would get things sorted promptly for once. I was wrong and now with a week to go we are lacking quality depth in important areas. Business done this week will define our season. I just hope you are wrong and we are suprised with the incomings.

FFS do some of you muppets actually watch the games? If we were getting taken to the cleaners in games and not playing well i'd be concerned, but we're not. We're playing well and the results will come. Unfortunately it was clear that given we missed out on CL football again last season our massive squad and massive wage bill would have to be drastically cut from last season. We were running unsustainable wages with many players not being utilised and sitting around like kranjcar, Corluka, pienaar, jenas, bentley, pav, dos santos, keane, Bassong etc. We had to sell before we could even think about buying.

Redknapp completely fudged up last season there is absolutely no excuse for our complete disaster in both of the second halfs of BOTH of last two seasons. Yes he is the best manager we've had for years results wise but then again he's had by far (and I mean BY FAR) the best squad I can remember spurs having in my life time. Jol missed out on CL on the last day with a team with jenas and Defoe as key starters and hardly any quality on the bench other than keane to bring on.

I think any half-decent manager would have got us top 5 finishes with our squad.

Saying that he did get the squad playing and I think parker was a good buy. I just think people should cut the new manager some slack and stop being such a bunch of tarts.

It's opinions and comments like those I've highlighted that will prevent AVB being cut some slack. AVB has no chance and it's because there are fans out there that hold the opinions you do. By saying things like Harry completely fudged up last season, it makes it sound as if any manager would have had us in a position by which we could feel disappointed to finish 4th. But that isn't the case and it's unlikely AVB will be able to get us into a position that fans such as yourself consider an inexcusable fudge up. so what chance does he have?

When you say things like any half decent manager could have got top 5 with the squad Harry had, you ignore the fact Harry had a lot to do with building the squad and most importantly he improved many of those players beyond recognition. It's unlikely AVB, or pretty much any manager, will be able to match HArry in those departments.

Basically whilst you think you are backing AVB, you are just setting him up for a fall. If our fans actually recognise what an incredible job Harry did, then AVB will be cut a lot more slack. We shouldn't expect him, or quite honestly any other manager, to match Harry. But when fans make light of Harry's achievements, then it's only natural his successor should be expected to do better. I used to post a lot on Spurscommunity, and made the exact same warning concerning Ramos. But most fans were convinced Jol was a tactical idiot, who couldn't coach a defence, organize set pieces and had an unfit squad. When in reality Jol was a magnificent manager of Spurs and Ramos was never going to be able to match him.

I'm still pretty tinkled off about losing that CL spot from last season and to be honest, I don't think we've really had anything to celebrate or get excited about since before the debacle at the Emirates. The nature of Chelskis CL win was pretty crushing to the spirit.

For whatever reason that Modric is still here, and that there appear to still be gaps in the squad, as time passes with the new coach the side will get settled and hopefully get a bit of momentum. Despite a disappointing start, our imagination was really captured in the run we then had for the next ten, twelve games and who knows, maybe again.

For all the disappointment of losing at Saudi Sportswashing Machine and only getting a draw at WBA, IF we beat Norwich on Saturday - pessimists, just dream for a moment, ok? - then we match our haul from exactly the same fixtures last year. And we got fourth out of that.

Keep the faith lads, COYS!

Last edited:
I wish the Olympics were still on. The athletes were a credit to themselves in the way they conducted themselves. Footballers behaviour for the most part these days leaves a lot to be desired. I think everyone in the country felt lifted for those 2 weeks! I still love football, but I detest footballers. I love watching Barca, but the Premier League is going to be so predictable this season. You know which teams will be competing for the title.

It's getting boring watching us drag our feet in EVERY TRANSFER WINDOW when most other clubs get their deals done early. Just because the window closes on August 31st doesn't mean you can't do deals before then.

I am also still fudged off about the way we missed out on the Champions League. Someone even said it was worth it that Chelsea won it cos it meant we had the excuse to sack Redknapp which is probably the most ludicrous statement I've ever read on GG!

I was a little bit underwhelmed when AVB walked out onto the pitch yesterday. I want to him to succeed desperately and I know it's only been 2 games, but I think it was a massive gamble to sack a manager who got us 4th, 5th and 4th and replace him with a coach who is unproven in the English league. Hopefully the gamble will pay off.

Yep - Spurs have been kicked in the nuts, then while we're down we've been kicked in the face.

Then when the police came to intervene, they stood on our neck and kicked us in the nuts again.

Then the paramedics came and walked straight past.

So many times we've been close but no cigar, from Lasagnegate, via various capitulations, most recently being 13 points ahead of Arsenil at half time and then totally imploding, the sugar daddies spending £30m £30m £30m £30m £30m £30m £30m £30m £30m £30m £30m at City and Cheatski whilst we spend £8m £8m.

Pffft. Maybe Levy will bring us what we need this week, but we are right to doubt him after Fraizer Campbell etc.

I'm still pretty tinkled off about losing that CL spot from last season and to be honest, I don't think we've really had anything to celebrate or get excited about since before the debacle at the Emirates. The nature of Chelskis CL win was pretty crushing to the spirit.

For whatever reason that Modric is still here, and that there appear to still be gaps in the squad, as time passes with the new coach the side will get settled and hopefully get a bit of momentum. Despite a disappointing start, our imagination was really captured in the run we then had for the next ten, twelve games and who knows, maybe again.

For all the disappointment of losing at Saudi Sportswashing Machine and only getting a draw at WBA, IF we beat Norwich on Saturday - pessimists, just dream for a moment, ok? - then we match our haul from exactly the same fixtures last year. And we got fourth out of that.

Keep the faith lads, COYS!

Good post and the 1st part sums up my feelings pretty well. I know I should be more positive but realistically if you want to compare like for like then we got 4 points from the corresponding fixtures last season. But then teams change so probably not fair to compare like for like. What does concern me - lack of creativity in the middle ( i'm a big fan of Levy but his intransigence is costing us). I will refrain from criticising as I do not know the financial constraints he is under), picking Jenas over Hudd compounds this and selling Daws when we are hardly defensively solid. Picking up from Moonlit I'm not sure why revolution was needed and there in lies my problem with AVB - a bit like a bull in a china shop. But it is early days I thought we created good chances in the first half yesterday which were snatched at hopefully early season nerves.

Agree with the OP and glad I'm not the only one.

Feel that we're badly under-prepared for the new season, like we needed another 3-4 games and friendlies.

Obviously doesnt need to be said but our shambolic approach to the transfer window doesnt help either. We're well stocked at the back but lack a creative CM, cover out side, cover up front and a decent GK. Even if we do get who we need by the 31st, you then hvae the international period when players disappear so the new arrivals wont be bedding in for a while.

I think AVB will do well but I cant see us finishing top 4 this season - just hope that hte fans and Levy remain behind him as the last thing we would need is another manager change. Cant wait til we have the new stadium sorted and the financial situation then a bit clearer

FFS do some of you muppets actually watch the games? If we were getting taken to the cleaners in games and not playing well i'd be concerned, but we're not. We're playing well and the results will come. Unfortunately it was clear that given we missed out on CL football again last season our massive squad and massive wage bill would have to be drastically cut from last season. We were running unsustainable wages with many players not being utilised and sitting around like kranjcar, Corluka, pienaar, jenas, bentley, pav, dos santos, keane, Bassong etc. We had to sell before we could even think about buying.

Redknapp completely fudged up last season there is absolutely no excuse for our complete disaster in both of the second halfs of BOTH of last two seasons. Yes he is the best manager we've had for years results wise but then again he's had by far (and I mean BY FAR) the best squad I can remember spurs having in my life time. Jol missed out on CL on the last day with a team with jenas and Defoe as key starters and hardly any quality on the bench other than keane to bring on.

I think any half-decent manager would have got us top 5 finishes with our squad.

Saying that he did get the squad playing and I think parker was a good buy. I just think people should cut the new manager some slack and stop being such a bunch of tarts.

We had our backs against the wall for large parts of the 2nd half at home to bloody West Brom!

We were all over them in the first half, but we never looked like scoring.

Agree with the OP and glad I'm not the only one.

Feel that we're badly under-prepared for the new season, like we needed another 3-4 games and friendlies.

Obviously doesnt need to be said but our shambolic approach to the transfer window doesnt help either. We're well stocked at the back but lack a creative CM, cover out side, cover up front and a decent GK. Even if we do get who we need by the 31st, you then hvae the international period when players disappear so the new arrivals wont be bedding in for a while.

I think AVB will do well but I cant see us finishing top 4 this season - just hope that hte fans and Levy remain behind him as the last thing we would need is another manager change. Cant wait til we have the new stadium sorted and the financial situation then a bit clearer

That's what baffles me. Why when Levy learn? Yeah you might save a few million on a certain player if you leave it until the last day of the window, but if we finish 1 point behind 3rd/4th place and miss out on the Champions League and about £40m then in the long run, it's worth getting deals done early. Every game counts the same in the final standings.

Back