• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Feeling very 'flat' for the new season

ray_of_sunshine_photosculpture-p153622425412029145bfm2r_400.jpg

well we're 1 point ahead of this stage last season so that's an improvement in my books ;) - it's a shame to see people being so negative after only 2 games of the season in what is a new managers reign.

success shouldn't determine whether you are excited for a new season - if that was the case there'd only be a couple of teams worth following

The feeling I have has nothing to do with 'success' I can assure you. If it did I wouldn't have supported Spurs for so long would I?

In all my years supporting Spurs, we finally dined at the top table. Tasting that Cristal felt good, why settle for house...

wasn't particularly aimed at the OP Mullet, more the tone of some posts

we would have had a huge uphill task to continue our 4/5/4 finishes under Redknapp this season (with him in charge) what with Chelsea spending what they have on their first team - i think Levy has made the decision to put in place someone who has a long term vision and is something i am excited to see put in place

Last edited:
I feel no different to how I felt this time last season, we've started the new season with an under strength side once again and only until the window is closed and we have hopefully done some good business will we crack on.

Same for me. More because of how last season ended, the Euros coming up shortly after and the Olympics which I immersed myself in. It's been a great summer of sport where I could sit back and enjoy the spectacle without getting too emotionally attached.

I can't believe that Levy has gone into the new season with such an unsettled squad and a new manager, though. If you bring in such a high-calibre boss like AVB - then we should have given him the tools necessary to attack the season from the first game. The Modric situation really is a joke. No-one wants him here, he wants to leave and Real Madrid were willing to offer very good money. We're backing ourselves into a corner over this one - reminiscent of the Berbatov transfer. There is no point getting top dollar for a world class talent is we can't replace him properly. Fraser Campbell and Pavlyuchenko for Keane and Berbatov was atrocious. Let's not hope the same happens this time.

well we're 1 point ahead of this stage last season so that's an improvement in my books ;) - it's a shame to see people being so negative after only 2 games of the season in what is a new managers reign.

success shouldn't determine whether you are excited for a new season - if that was the case there'd only be a couple of teams worth following

First 2 games of last season were Man Utd & Emirates Marketing Project. This season Saudi Sportswashing Machine & WBA, 4 points from those games last season

The way I see it we have thrown away a chance of success. We had something really special coming together. All thanks to realistic way of management focused on getting the best out of the players we had and bringing through the youngsters.
By win ratio the 4th best manager in our history.
Going into this season with Huddles tong returning from injury, Caulker and Naughton back from loan, Vertonghen and Ade lined up, this season was promising to see us step over the line and win some silverware.
Then we go and sack Harry. And entrust this team on the brink of greatness to an inexperienced manager who's simply not good enough for our football club.
Now I'm not saying Harry didn't have faults but balanced against his strengths they were minor.
There were numerous better managers available at the end of last season, but Levy waited until the Chelsea job was taken before sacking Harry.
Now I just feel completely flat about this season, I don't see any way that we can be successful under AVB and look forward to whoever comes next.

Blimey,, thats a depressing synopsis... Your being hard on AVB, i have actually been very impressed with the football and tactics and i think the results will pick up

Been supporting Spurs for......over 30 years now (brick) and I think this is the first time where I'm a little bit 'meh' about the season.

I can't put my finger on the reason why, but I just don't get that excited thinking about what we may or may not achieve in the coming season. Maybe it's the introduction of AVB, though I'm not sure why that may be considering the seasons only 2 games old. Though seeing two defensive midfielders against WBA at home was a little disconcerting, but I do appreciate that this is probably out of AVB's hands due to the Modric situation. But must admit that I'd have preferred to see Huddlestone in their giving some creativity.

I'm sure this will pass, and in a few weeks time I will be as rabid about games as normal, getting up at 4am to watch European games midweek etc.

You're not alone. For the first home fixture of the season, the atmosphere was very subdued yesterday. The only time there was any kind of atmosphere was in appreciation for Ledley. Of course the fact we were very poor on the pitch won't have helped. It's hard to believe that last season we were top four contenders when you look at the last two performances.

But remember that the first 10 games of the season often throw up some strange results. Some poor teams start fast, some good teams start slow. And it's clear now that AVB is going for revolution rather than evolution and that will mean we will go backward for a period of time before we start moving forward again. We just need to hope that it's sooner rather than later, especially if we want to keep Bale next season.

Chairman that wont learn from his past mistakes. We will have to sack AVB by November and will will have wasted the Modric money on panic buys.

We knew Modric wanted out, why wasn't his replacement identified and lined up long ago?

The same can be said of the fans though. I know about half didn't want a change a management, but a similar amount did and still do seem to have a false belief in what a manager can achieve working within the constraints found at a Spurs with Levy in charge. We still heard the same comments we did with Jol, such as "taken the club as far as he can." When it should have been perfectly obvious that the club had gone about as far as it can within the current constraints. There is no such things a super coach with magical tactics, that is going to make up for financial gaps between us and the traditional big 4 and City.

For every fault Harry and Jol had, their rivals at bigger clubs had just as many or more, it's just they don't show up so easily when you can pay the big wages for big time players. It's as if a large number of our fans assumed that by replacing Harry all his good points would remain and we'd just improve on what they saw as his weaknesses. But that is never the case. Ramos had no chance replacing Jol, as he has done such an excellent job and AVB has an even tougher act to follow.

The trouble is, the way some people were so arrogant and vindictive towards Harry, it's almost set AVB up to be the fall guy, as they made Harry sound like an idiot who prevented us from finishing 3rd, rather than an outstanding manager how took us to 4th. But AVB hasn't replaced the idiot, he's replaced the outstanding manager, so the chances of him doing a better job are very slim. Every time we now have a bad result there will be a queue of people desperate to tell the likes of Gutterboy how stupid they are. That's the nature of message boards.

First 2 games of last season were Man Utd & Emirates Marketing Project. This season Saudi Sportswashing Machine & WBA, 4 points from those games last season

first two games last season : 0 points

first two games this season : 1 point

8)

I know i'm a bit late to join the party, but I'm feeling the same way as the OP and have been supporting for the same length of time - must be getting old ! Or mebbe just feeling the season only starts for us after 1st September ! COYS !!!

I understand the feeling, but for me it is about sense of uncertainty. Uncertainty that AVB was wise, that Levy hasn't sufficently backed him in the market, and that we are in yet another transitional period. I am happy to give AVB time, certainly he needs the tools to do the job and hopefully they will come over the next week. But it does worry me that some are suggesting finishing 6th would be okay, that would be decent. The logic of removing AVB was apparently about moving to the next level, but that must mean staying close to our nearest rivals for 4th place. At present I am just not sure whether we are strong enough to do that.

FFS do some of you muppets actually watch the games? If we were getting taken to the cleaners in games and not playing well i'd be concerned, but we're not. We're playing well and the results will come. Unfortunately it was clear that given we missed out on CL football again last season our massive squad and massive wage bill would have to be drastically cut from last season. We were running unsustainable wages with many players not being utilised and sitting around like kranjcar, Corluka, pienaar, jenas, bentley, pav, dos santos, keane, Bassong etc. We had to sell before we could even think about buying.

Redknapp completely fudged up last season there is absolutely no excuse for our complete disaster in both of the second halfs of BOTH of last two seasons. Yes he is the best manager we've had for years results wise but then again he's had by far (and I mean BY FAR) the best squad I can remember spurs having in my life time. Jol missed out on CL on the last day with a team with jenas and Defoe as key starters and hardly any quality on the bench other than keane to bring on.

I think any half-decent manager would have got us top 5 finishes with our squad.

Saying that he did get the squad playing and I think parker was a good buy. I just think people should cut the new manager some slack and stop being such a bunch of tarts.

FFS do some of you muppets actually watch the games? If we were getting taken to the cleaners in games and not playing well i'd be concerned, but we're not. We're playing well and the results will come. Unfortunately it was clear that given we missed out on CL football again last season our massive squad and massive wage bill would have to be drastically cut from last season. We were running unsustainable wages with many players not being utilised and sitting around like kranjcar, Corluka, pienaar, jenas, bentley, pav, dos santos, keane, Bassong etc. We had to sell before we could even think about buying.

Redknapp completely fudged up last season there is absolutely no excuse for our complete disaster in both of the second halfs of BOTH of last two seasons. Yes he is the best manager we've had for years results wise but then again he's had by far (and I mean BY FAR) the best squad I can remember spurs having in my life time. Jol missed out on CL on the last day with a team with jenas and Defoe as key starters and hardly any quality on the bench other than keane to bring on.

I think any half-decent manager would have got us top 5 finishes with our squad.

Saying that he did get the squad playing and I think parker was a good buy. I just think people should cut the new manager some slack and stop being such a bunch of tarts.

I guess there lies the differences. I thought we were poor yesterday. And I thought the match against Saudi Sportswashing Machine both teams looked poor. We haven't played well yet and I am concerned that players I rate higher than those being picked for the first team are being sold off.

As you point out this is the best squad we've had for years. Because Modric is on our books, this squad is even stronger than last years and yet we look disjointed, disorganised and unfit. It's a concern.

Transition is our middle name, could even be our first, one season we lose quality strikers scoring for fun just as we get a quality midfielder, now it's the other way round ... am tired of the speculation of who'll we get next, can't be bothered to keep up till 1st September comes round, fingers and everything else crossed, will even get the post it in the office to form a cross ! News, but more so continuous speculation, on the internet is making me tired ...

Transition is our middle name, could even be our first, one season we lose quality strikers scoring for fun just as we get a quality midfielder, now it's the other way round ... am tired of the speculation of who'll we get next, can't be bothered to keep up till 1st September comes round, fingers and everything else crossed, will even get the post it in the office to form a cross ! News, but more so continuous speculation, on the internet is making me tired ...

This is a good point. I think people do need to be patient, and AVB needs time. The current squad does not fit the playing style, formation and system he is looking to implement and it may not for a couple of years. He needs time to put it all together. I hope we're a little more adventurous during this transition period though. Both games have been dull as dishwater to watch!

Back