• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Feeling very 'flat' for the new season

Mulletperm

Mauricio Taricco
Been supporting Spurs for......over 30 years now (brick) and I think this is the first time where I'm a little bit 'meh' about the season.

I can't put my finger on the reason why, but I just don't get that excited thinking about what we may or may not achieve in the coming season. Maybe it's the introduction of AVB, though I'm not sure why that may be considering the seasons only 2 games old. Though seeing two defensive midfielders against WBA at home was a little disconcerting, but I do appreciate that this is probably out of AVB's hands due to the Modric situation. But must admit that I'd have preferred to see Huddlestone in their giving some creativity.

I'm sure this will pass, and in a few weeks time I will be as rabid about games as normal, getting up at 4am to watch European games midweek etc.

Chairman that wont learn from his past mistakes. We will have to sack AVB by November and will will have wasted the Modric money on panic buys.

We knew Modric wanted out, why wasn't his replacement identified and lined up long ago?

Been supporting Spurs for......over 30 years now (brick) and I think this is the first time where I'm a little bit 'meh' about the season.

I can't put my finger on the reason why, but I just don't get that excited thinking about what we may or may not achieve in the coming season. Maybe it's the introduction of AVB, though I'm not sure why that may be considering the seasons only 2 games old. Though seeing two defensive midfielders against WBA at home was a little disconcerting, but I do appreciate that this is probably out of AVB's hands due to the Modric situation. But must admit that I'd have preferred to see Huddlestone in their giving some creativity.

I'm sure this will pass, and in a few weeks time I will be as rabid about games as normal, getting up at 4am to watch European games midweek etc.

I am feeling the same. The reason is the lack of new signings. I think it would have been more exciting if we had signed a striker or two. When you are fully aware of the limitations of your strikers, it is hard to get excited especially when the new manager is as young and inexperienced as AVB.

Agree. It feels like were starting all over again in building a new team and we know this is a transitional season, thus back to square one.
I have the feeling that we have already peaked in achieving 4,5,4 with HR and we may never reach those heights in the near future, I hope i'm wrong but
given our history and ability to self destruct, I doubt it.

Im no HR fan but he did a good job, and continuity for me works better than wholesale change.

Strange, I find it all rather interesting and exciting. A new manager to figure out, a new system to see in effect, new players like Sigurdsson and Vertonghen who could be mainstays of the team for then next 5+ years...

2 underwhelming results don't help losing one and then a draw where we were hanging on. The unsettled squad and although its early I am a little concerned about AVB's recent history.

I love watching spurs and I'm excited to see what Avb does with the team. Saying that Levy needs to back him by pulling in his top targets this week.

Thought we were v unlucky in our first two games and if the performances continue at the same level we'll be fine.

Here we go again :lol:

You are a worrysome soul arent you?!

Have you found the last two performances something to feel good about? Vertonghen aside - the two performances have been spiritless and insipid, because we have no creativity in midfield.

We need to replace Modric, and fast. Levy has put us in this situation by dingdongering over the price with Madrid, he needs to end it and let AVB get Moutinho pronto.

Livermore and Jenas are not the answer to the question.

Have you found the last two performances something to feel good about? Vertonghen aside - the two performances have been spiritless and insipid, because we have no creativity in midfield.

We need to replace Modric, and fast. Levy has put us in this situation by dingdongering over the price with Madrid, he needs to end it and let AVB get Moutinho pronto.

Livermore and Jenas are not the answer to the question.

Yes, actually, I have.

Ive seen plenty to be positive about in the 2 early games. They were of course far from perfect but then I think that is to be expected at this point.

I like the fact we had bodies all around the ball all over the pitch, very rarely are players isolated when with the ball or when defending/pressing.

I like the fact there is a clear message of keeping it on the deck and not going long.

I like the shape of the team.

I think the high line was working particularly well when we had a proper midfield 3. WBA barely got a kick of the ball in the first half and it was because we squeezed them into mistakes all over. They couldnt handle us.

I like seeing Bale and Lennon pushed further up the field and getting regular supply (particularly some lovely balls inside the full backs on either side).

I like that our striker was playing basically down the middle and was getting plenty of the ball.

I like that there were plenty of crosses and cut backs.

I like the way Sandro dropped inbetween the CBs when the full backs pushed right up.

All in all I like a lot about what I have seen of the new ways implementation - and think that if it is given a chance to bloom it could be very exciting indeed.

I wholey agree RE Modric, his (or a good replacements) presence would have been amazing yesterday

"Meh" describes it pretty well for me. Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project have killed my love of the game. I didn't go to a game last season, first time in a decade and it was through choice. Add to that Levy's shoddy running of the transfer window, our third successive preseason shambles and unprepared and rubbish start to the season directly because of Levy and I really just cannot be bothered. Haven't watched any EPL yet as I've been "busy"... First time that's ever happaned

Yes, actually, I have.

Ive seen plenty to be positive about in the 2 early games. They were of course far from perfect but then I think that is to be expected at this point.

I like the fact we had bodies all around the ball all over the pitch, very rarely are players isolated when with the ball or when defending/pressing.

I like the fact there is a clear message of keeping it on the deck and not going long.

I like the shape of the team.

I think the high line was working particularly well when we had a proper midfield 3. WBA barely got a kick of the ball in the first half and it was because we squeezed them into mistakes all over. They couldnt handle us.

I like seeing Bale and Lennon pushed further up the field and getting regular supply (particularly some lovely balls inside the full backs on either side).

I like that our striker was playing basically down the middle and was getting plenty of the ball.

I like that there were plenty of crosses and cut backs.

I like the way Sandro dropped inbetween the CBs when the full backs pushed right up.

All in all I like a lot about what I have seen of the new ways implementation - and think that if it is given a chance to bloom it could be very exciting indeed.

I wholey agree RE Modric, his (or a good replacements) presence would have been amazing yesterday

so - all of the things that we were already good at are still there - but without any creative spark to gel them all together. With VDV off then all of that went out the window

why are we still allowing Bale and Lennon to switch? Might as well give them a 20 minute stretch in the nets?

In terms of playmaking and creativity they can't be far off.

No idea

i think i see where viper is coming from

not in terms of creativity and playmaking...just in general...would you say that a midfield combo of two people that have played for england is THAT bad to be able to call upon

obviously not good enough to mount a challenge on the title and not good enough to rely on to get you into top 4 but surely good enough to allow OTHERS to do their stuff and try and win you some games.

*assuming of course this is what Viper means

having said that i am in the same position as Mullet...i feel indifferent to this season

so - all of the things that we were already good at are still there - but without any creative spark to gel them all together. With VDV off then all of that went out the window

why are we still allowing Bale and Lennon to switch? Might as well give them a 20 minute stretch in the nets?

The lacking creative spark is none ouf our doing is it? And it would have been just as costly for Redknapp as well.

I can see some sense in Bale and Lennon switching occasionally, but not for sustained periods. We need to be a little smarter in how we do it (that is the same now as it was under Redknapp)

I think aspects of the game yesterday were improved upon what we did in previous seasons. It was much more organised and kept a balanced shape very well, players not getting isolated was a particular improvement IMO.

Last edited:
I'm excited for the season, and I think once AVB gets his players, we will fly.

He plays a radical style of football, it's out there, it looks risky, and if it doesn't work it can look like a stupid attempt. But if it works, I think we can get results above and beyond what we would realistically expect.

Look at the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game. We go there, to a team that finished 5th last season, with an excellent attacking line up of Ba, Cisse and Ben Arfa. And not once do they actually trouble us. They didn't get near our goal and create a clear cut chance. At the same time we hit the post twice. Imagine if we had a striker more suited to playing alone up top, a creative midfielder linking the play and a goalkeeper that doesn't like clearing it long? We would have been out of sight. At last season's 5th place!

Look at yesterday. So many times teams like to come to our ground and park the bus. But we were slicing them apart at will. Terrible finishing meant we didn't trouble Foster and get ahead when we should have done, but we were creating clear chances, in front of their goal with just the keeper to beat. We had a style and system of play and we looked like we knew what we were doing. Imagine if we had the striker we needed, and if we had someone in Lennon's position that could finish.

And the thing is, all of these positions to fill our possible. There are players there that should be in our range. We get them and we will have a great season. It's not going to be an easy league. Look at United, could have easily dropped points at home to Fulham yesterday, and that's with all their business finished. We complete our business and we will fly. I'm sure of it.

I'm just Down atm cos you just know in true spurs fashion we will miss out on champions league by two points or something two points which would have been easily obtainable had avb been given the right tools.

Am excited for the Europa now squad has been thinned out quite a bit and avb will have no choice but to play A decent team. Hopefully some tasty away games fingers crossed feyenoord

We haven't signed exciting players and had a couple of dodgy results so you don't like football. But when results pick up and we sign some this week you may get the excitement back? Fantastic support... :)

I feel really excited about the prospects, im more excited about avbs tottenham than I have probably since noddles tottenham. With a damaged squad you can already see how we'll improve. I blame levy for the disaster so far. AGAIN!

The way I see it we have thrown away a chance of success. We had something really special coming together. All thanks to realistic way of management focused on getting the best out of the players we had and bringing through the youngsters.
By win ratio the 4th best manager in our history.
Going into this season with Huddles tong returning from injury, Caulker and Naughton back from loan, Vertonghen and Ade lined up, this season was promising to see us step over the line and win some silverware.
Then we go and sack Harry. And entrust this team on the brink of greatness to an inexperienced manager who's simply not good enough for our football club.
Now I'm not saying Harry didn't have faults but balanced against his strengths they were minor.
There were numerous better managers available at the end of last season, but Levy waited until the Chelsea job was taken before sacking Harry.
Now I just feel completely flat about this season, I don't see any way that we can be successful under AVB and look forward to whoever comes next.

Back