• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Expectations for Season 2015-16

After the transfer window shut, I decided not to focus too much on the results this season. In no way do we have the strength in depth to compete with the top 4 teams over the course of the season, and if we can't finish top 4 i really don't care where we finish. Instead what I want to see is progress in the way we play. I want to see signs of a team that can challenge for the title in a few years, and I really feel like I do see that. The City game was fantastic, and shows how much potential we have as a team. The Swansea game was not as good, but the way we kept fighting back after poor spells and a stupid goal was impressive. We should have won, but our only striker is suffering from (hopefully) a terrible run of form. Our results will vary massively this season, but as long as I keep seeing what I'm seeing, I'll be happy. If we keep improving throughout the season, we have a real shot at the Europa League as well.

After the transfer window shut, I decided not to focus too much on the results this season. In no way do we have the strength in depth to compete with the top 4 teams over the course of the season, and if we can't finish top 4 i really don't care where we finish. Instead what I want to see is progress in the way we play. I want to see signs of a team that can challenge for the title in a few years, and I really feel like I do see that. The City game was fantastic, and shows how much potential we have as a team. The Swansea game was not as good, but the way we kept fighting back after poor spells and a stupid goal was impressive. We should have won, but our only striker is suffering from (hopefully) a terrible run of form. Our results will vary massively this season, but as long as I keep seeing what I'm seeing, I'll be happy. If we keep improving throughout the season, we have a real shot at the Europa League as well.

For me, the next 2-3 seasons are all about maintaining our position in the league whlist the stadium is being built. We dont have the financial resources to compete with the top 4 at the moment so barring discovering the next Modric and Bale and getting another VdV on the cheap, we're unlikely to be genuinely competive with the top 4.

What I wouldnt want to happen though is for us to slip into mix with the rest of the PL - at the moment, there's the top 4, then us and Liverpool, and then a group of clubs. We need to maintain that lead over the rest so that we have a decent platform for when we have greater resouces (and even appear bigger to potential signings from a huge stadium).

In the meantime, if we can pick up a cup or two over the next 3 seasons then great

Just wanted to go back to my expectations for this season. I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised. Although we're not yet beating the teams we're supposed to beat, we have outplayed every team so far and that gives me hope that the results will come.

No-one likes a show-off

For me, the next 2-3 seasons are all about maintaining our position in the league whlist the stadium is being built. We dont have the financial resources to compete with the top 4 at the moment so barring discovering the next Modric and Bale and getting another VdV on the cheap, we're unlikely to be genuinely competive with the top 4.

What I wouldnt want to happen though is for us to slip into mix with the rest of the PL - at the moment, there's the top 4, then us and Liverpool, and then a group of clubs. We need to maintain that lead over the rest so that we have a decent platform for when we have greater resouces (and even appear bigger to potential signings from a huge stadium).

In the meantime, if we can pick up a cup or two over the next 3 seasons then great

I agree with that completely. The recent results, the way we have been playing and Chelsea's demise have got me thinking that perhaps more may be on offer, but I will reserve deciding on that till Xmas. Still lots of football to be played, and I think with out fitness levels, and the same good results we got last year, will really give us a good indication (and the players) of where we will be going.

Agree. 3 x 5th/6th (so long as 6th = EL) and 1 or 2 cup wins, combined with attractive football and the continued emergence of young players under the stability of our current coach, will be a great next 3 years

The big curve ball will be if (as looks likely) England loses its 4th CL spot to Italy. That will really smash the Sky 4 cartel and put at least one of them in serious trouble.

Agree. 3 x 5th/6th (so long as 6th = EL) and 1 or 2 cup wins, combined with attractive football and the continued emergence of young players under the stability of our current coach, will be a great next 3 years

The big curve ball will be if (as looks likely) England loses its 4th CL spot to Italy. That will really smash the Sky 4 cartel and put at least one of them in serious trouble.

How far off is the Prem from losing that place?

How far off is the Prem from losing that place?

From what I read, a repeat of last season (Italy having a CL finalist plus two EL semi-finalists and the same performance from English clubs) would put Italy above us and give them a 4th CL spot at England's expense

From what I read, a repeat of last season (Italy having a CL finalist plus two EL semi-finalists and the same performance from English clubs) would put Italy above us and give them a 4th CL spot at England's expense

Isn't it more complex? Doesn't it depend on the fate of all 7/8 clubs from each of the respective countries, rather than just which get to the last 4 etc? I.e say if all our CL go out at group stage and all theirs go through, that will be enough.

If it doesn't happen this season, it will happen the one after anyway. Despite all the Sky hype, the EPL has been declining in quality quite significantly over the past 5 years compared to the other big European leagues. We have the money, they have the infrastructure and talent.

No-one likes a show-off
Well, at least a couple of people do. :)

In any case, I never said those were my predictions, in which case, yes, I'd have been a show off. That was what I hoped would happen and I'm pleasantly surprised these things are happening.

Isn't it more complex? Doesn't it depend on the fate of all 7/8 clubs from each of the respective countries, rather than just which get to the last 4 etc? I.e say if all our CL go out at group stage and all theirs go through, that will be enough.

If it doesn't happen this season, it will happen the one after anyway. Despite all the Sky hype, the EPL has been declining in quality quite significantly over the past 5 years compared to the other big European leagues. We have the money, they have the infrastructure and talent.

Yes, of course it depends on all the teams. However getting to the latter stages obviously means more points are earned and the example of last season would be one of a number of permutations whcih would put Italy ahead of England. Its not clear to me that Serie A is of higher quality than England and actually looking at this year, Juve are top of their group but Lazio are already out and into the EL, whilst Roma are bottom of their group (which contains Barca).

I think our matches against Fiorentina last season were an interesting gauge of how Italian sides are becoming stronger again (compared to us demolishing Inter and Milan a few years ago)

In all honesty, with how the season is going so far there is absolutely no reason why we can't get top 4 this season. The, so called, big boys are dropping points a lot. They are very beatable. 4th place is well within our grasp. I truly believe that.

In all honesty, with how the season is going so far there is absolutely no reason why we can't get top 4 this season. The, so called, big boys are dropping points a lot. They are very beatable. 4th place is well within our grasp. I truly believe that.

'within our grasp' is over-stating it a bit - you're implying that we're more likely than not to finish top 4. I agree that we have a shot at it but Man U, Man C, Arse and Cheatski are definitely the favourites. Chelsea are having a bit at the moment, but we're only 8 games through the season...

I would definitely agree. Excluding last year's top four, if we win 2/3 of our remaining games against the rest of the teams (that's 16 out of 24 games), that's 61 pts right there. You have to think we can pick up 9-12 points in the other 14 matches putting us at 70-73 points at the end of the season, which could be good enough for 4th. This is just a hypothetical, of course, but not one that is too far out, given our performance so far this season.

It's only very early on. Resources will kick in soon enough. It's a 10-month marathon, not a sprint. I still expect Chelsea will push City close for the title.

Yes, of course it depends on all the teams. However getting to the latter stages obviously means more points are earned and the example of last season would be one of a number of permutations whcih would put Italy ahead of England. Its not clear to me that Serie A is of higher quality than England and actually looking at this year, Juve are top of their group but Lazio are already out and into the EL, whilst Roma are bottom of their group (which contains Barca).

CL teams get more points for wins than EL teams. England have four clubs in the CL compared to Italy's two, we just need them to get their brick together. I think England will finish this season above Italy, but next season will be tougher as England lose more points in the season that is cut.

It's only very early on. Resources will kick in soon enough. It's a 10-month marathon, not a sprint. I still expect Chel53a will push City close for the title.

No team with the amount of points Chelsea has at this stage of the season, has finished in the top 4 come the end of season. While they clearly have quality in the squad, that fact/stat does give pause for thought.

Agree with the resource comment, that is why I have no real belief that we can push top 4 this season (some areas have no depth)

It's an absolute certainty that the year it does happen will be the first year we finish in 4th since we got fudged over by Chelsea.

Back